What's usually included in a bike service?

Associate
I took my bike for a service to a good garage with people I trust that work there, but even when I emphasise the current mileage and future long distance road trips I'm going to take the bike on, I get the impression all they do is change the oil and filter. I feel like maybe I should give them a specific list of what I want checked and done each time rather than ask for a "service", or perhaps they are checking these things and see no problem:

- oil + filter change
- brake fluid change
- radiator fluid change
- check spark plugs
- check battery
- tighten clutch, brakes, chain
- chain alignment
- check axle bolts ensure they are greased
- check all important nut are torqued to spec

My cb500f has done 10k miles and is over 2 years old. They probably think they're saving me money by not doing the extra work but really I'm fine with paying to have this all looked at once a year or at least after 10k miles because I want to keep the bike in good order so I can eventually sell it.

Man of Honour
Depends on the bike. My street triple service schedule is basically oil and filter change every year/6k miles then every 12k it's air filter/plugs/valve clearance, 24k you add fork oil onto that.

Coolant/brake fluid is done based on time rather than milage iirc.

Like you say best bet is to give them a list of what you want then at least you know it's being done or they'll specifically say it didn't need doing.

Soldato
My sv650 is 20 years old and very good condition, other than having the valve clearance inspected once (and they were fine) Ive just at kept it clean, change the oil and filter, which I'm only doing at an 18 month interval now, and every 3-4 years change the air filter.

Ive done the chain (and sprockets) a couple of times, brake pads once from memory, brake fluid twice, bike has 30-35k I think. I changed the spark plugs once as well.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the valve check and going by what the garage said plus what ive read, on a sv650 if they are not out after 20k or whatever they'll unlikely to ever go out. Basically I'm never going to bother getting them checked again.

The only mechanical fault I've had is a small piece of high pressure fuel line between the throttle body which started leaking, and was pretty easy to fix, and I managed to bugger up the throttle position sensor but that was my fault messing with it, and fortunately managed to fix that as well.

I've never changed the coolant, or the rear brake fluid, never done the fork oil, never inspected any bolts.

Back
Top Bottom