What's With The Pricing of The PG279Q ?

Caporegime
And that there is the problem, in order for prices of current monitors to drop, the new gen monitors coming out will have to take their prices but they aren't, instead they are priced even higher:

- LG's fake HDR display is costing £1000 (really no different to any other 4k 32" IPS screen on the market right now)
- asus and acer's upcoming 27" 4k 144hz FALD HDR will be costing between £1500-2000

So until true HDR and FALD is common place for the monitor market, I think it is still going to be a long time until current monitors drop in price.

Caporegime
Life sucks more now, thanks Nexus. :)

No problem :D :p

But yeah it is frustrating seeing the joke that the monitor market has become. The slightly upgraded LG 29" monitor (freesync + 75HZ being the improvements) is still the same price as the one I bought 4+ years ago... :o

Soldato
I'd love an OCUK employee to put their 2 cents in and make clear why they are at least £150 more expensive than all of the competition.

Does 8Pack come round and give you a personal training session for that £150 ? :p

"official" vs "grey" stock. Amazon buy large and cheap wherever they, ocuk have deals in place with manufacturers/suppliers. This means more expensive, most of the time, and it's why when ocuk do occasionally price match, they wont match amazon.

Associate
I'm not in a bad place, still rocking (or I should say it's still alive with the saga some users have had) the Hazro 27" WC overclocked to 90hz. It's fine for FPS like BF4 & Overwatch but wanting the extra frames.

I've looked into the ultra wide monitors like Acer's but hearing some games don't scale well ?

Spamming the Bay & site prices is becoming tedious.

Off topic, what you playing now ? The last time I seen you in a game was under Zavod 311 camped in corner on C, easier target out of a tank ! :D

Caporegime
I'm not in a bad place, still rocking (or I should say it's still alive with the saga some users have had) the Hazro 27" WC overclocked to 90hz. It's fine for FPS like BF4 & Overwatch but wanting the extra frames.

I've looked into the ultra wide monitors like Acer's but hearing some games don't scale well ?

Spamming the Bay & site prices is becoming tedious.

Off topic, what you playing now ? The last time I seen you in a game was under Zavod 311 camped in corner on C, easier target out of a tank ! :D

Best to google the games and see yourself as it will depend on what you will play.

A small handful say that they have had an awful time with 21.9 but personally from what I've seen, these negative reports come from either people who have never seen/used one themselves or/and people that can't be bothered to spend a max of 5 minutes (if that) fixing older games and just expect every thing to work out of the box :p

In my experience though, it has been great, some older games don't have support but it is very easy to add the support either by manually changing a line or 2 in a config file or clicking one button via flawless widescreen to add a profile but most of the games from the last 2+ years have worked great without any need to faff about.

The only somewhat recent triple A game that has zero 21.9 support is overwatch, the developers view it as being an advantage so they just zoom in/crop 16.9.

2 areas that are generally not adjusted for 21.9 are the cutscenes (pre-rendered ones) and the HUD (my biggest annoyance this, it is improving though with a lot of recent games having options to control where the HUD appears as well as being able to remove certain things completely)

I created a 21.9 thread which contains pretty much everything about 21.9 including gaming here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/21-9-ultrawide-thread.18684417/

haha, the good old days :D

MP wise, nothing. BF 1 didn't appeal to me at all. Hopefully my next time sink will be battlefront 2 if it is better i.e. a BF 4 reskin.... :p

Soldato
I feel it great that monitors have kept there high prices..

I bought my Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" back in 2014 and it still the same price to buy now...:)
And so is my PG348Q ROG Swift 34" which I bought about a year ago :)

It makes a change to buying something and seeing it drop to only about half the price a year later...:(

Caporegime
And the problem with that is less and less people are buying monitors every year now (certainly not the £800+ ones anyway) therefore due to less sales, retailers/manufacturers have to up the prices even further and as a result innovation/progress has come to a complete halt over the past few years (with regards to panel improvements for IQ), probably due to manufacturers not seeing the point of investing any serious time/effort or money into the monitor industry.

The pricing of monitors and lack of progress (in many ways, monitors are going backwards with regards to QC and the likes of back light bleed) now is why more and more people are jumping to TVs.

I really can't see things improving tbh especially with how popular the last gen consoles have been to the point where many PC gamers have even switched to the likes of the PS 4 pro and with the likes of the scorpio, even more will probably jump ship.

Last edited:
Associate

I bought my Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" back in 2014 and it still the same price to buy now...:)

It makes a change to buying something and seeing it drop to only about half the price a year later...:(

Yeah great isn't it, years of the same tech with very little progress only coming at an ever increasing cost.

I'd rather have depreciation and actual progress.

Associate

Keeping high prices is not good for anyone apart from someone trying to offload their monitor.

Caporegime
^^

Pretty much the only advantage for these high prices still.

The LG 29" monitor is still costing the same as what mine did (but without freesync and 60HZ instead of 75HZ) 4+ years ago.... :o That just goes to show how ****** up the monitor market really is atm.

Associate
Something odd seems to be going on of late, as far as I can tell there's a shortage of certain Dell monitors (I'm in the market for a 4k IPS so have been following fairly closely) as a result the places that do have them are price gouging and it's had a ripple effect across the monitor market.

This was £550 last month and I suspect the one they have got is a return - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-077-de.html

CCL was charging as much as £700 for the same model last week.

I've pre ordered it from Scan for the 'April' price but who knows if I'll ever actually see it.

Associate
Just get the S2716DG unless they really really have to have IPS they will thank you later. Though judging by the price changes and stock looks like its about to go EOL maybe being replaced with a new model dunno.

Yeah, the Asus ROG SWIFT PG27VQ looks like it will be its replacement. Still, £899 for the PG279Q on OCUK is ridiculous; it can be had for £200 less almost everywhere else.
Makes me wonder how much the PG27VQ will be priced at.....

Man of Honour
Not a big fan of curved - neither am I particularly invested in the Hz race - while I notice a massive difference from 60Hz to 120Hz and 60Hz simply isn't acceptable stuff like 165Hz I'd rather see the efforts put into other areas of the monitor than excessive Hz.

Associate
Agreed, also the GPU horsepower required to reach 165hz in modern games is huge and costly, yet the actual image quality from the panels used has stayed relatively the same for years, still get backlight bleed, IPS glow, average black levels, TN colour shift and poor viewing angles with TN/VA. All this while the cost of the monitors are rapidly increasing. Makes me want to give up on things like gsync and high Hz and just go for a 4K HDR TV; sure the input lag can be an issue (depending on the model of TV) but the cheaper cost and much better image quality makes it a better value for money option. Although still no sign of 32" 4K HDR tv's only 43" upwards which is a shame.

Back
Top Bottom