What's wrong with my fridge freezer?

Commissario
I bought some sausages from a farm shop yesterday, they were in the fridge. Brought them home and then I put them straight in the freezer.

This evening, I opened the freezer to take something out and noticed that they'd iced up already. The package was sealed, I've opened it to take this picture. Now I've wrapped them in another bag and put them in the chest freezer outside.

I've noticed this before recently, stuff in the indoors fridge/freezer seems to be frosting up very quickly but this has been only about 24 hours. There's no visible build up of ice in the freezer itself.

s0Jy966.jpeg

The fridge/freezer is a Bosch Exxcel FrostFree (I don't know the exact model number) and it's around 13 years old.

Any idea what's likely to be causing this?

Soldato
Does it have a fast freeze setting? That can cause that, as can putting too much in it. Freezers don’t like to be packed too tightly.

Commissario
OP
The door seal look OK, it’s not on fast freeze and although there’s a fair bit in there, it’s not overly full at the moment.

A thermometer seems a decent good first step. I don’t have one so will get one to see.

Commissario
OP
Is there much frost around the elements inside it? If so, would be worth defrosting it.
There's no visible frost in the freezer.

Is it running?....
Yes. Not continually, if that's what you meant.

Is the frost on the inside the clingfilm? If it is they were just packaged in a damp atmosphere or there is water coming out of the sausages themselves.
Yes, it's on the inside. I guess both are possible and if this were a one-off, that's what I'd put it down to but I've noticed this a lot more over the last few months, more stuff is getting frost on the inside of the packaging quite quickly.

Caporegime
I'd be wondering if they froze too fast or too slow.

they look like food th ats been in the freezer for ages and has dehydrated, like when you accidently buy old supermarket stock and the bag is full of ice...

your sausages could have just been to moist

Soldato
It's because what they're packaged in, Styrofoam slows down the freezing process because it's an insulator so it caused the sausages to sweat.

Soldato
What other foods are icing up quick like this? I'd have thought anything the may be a bit moist could ice up like this. Also what is the packaging like? If the film is bit thin too then that might not help.

Soldato
could ask how often it's been defrosted, is 'defrost' fan functioning, on it's usually daily schedule, to allow frost on the evaporator to melt,
zanussi had had, had the timer fail &didn't turn on so built up frost, but the maybe it can fail with it turning on too regularly.

mental note - embedded one have now needs a full defrost, and really pulling out to clean outside coils and check water evacuation tray.

Associate
Don't think theres anything wrong with your freezer. Given the info provided and the ice being inside a sealed package. Issues with the freezer itself would show themselves on the outside of packaging. You simply have a pretty wet pack of sasuages imo.

Back
Top Bottom