What's your best 'deal' you've managed to wrangle when buying a new bike?

Soldato
I guess second hand bikes could also be relevant but I'm mostly interested in new bikes.

I'm currently going through the process of negotiating APR deals on HP, PCP deals, extras, add-ons and so on - much fun... One thing that hasn't been mentioned or moved on yet is the total price of the bike and it got me thinking, are they going to move on price at all?

I've only ever bought one bike brand new and I managed to get £600 off the total price and 0% APR, an okay deal given that the discount was about 8 or 9% of the total value of the bike.

So my question:

What is the best deal you think you've had when buying a bike? Can be total price, extras or just a really nice finance deal.

(for anyone interested it's on an expensive £14,000 KTM Superduke! :eek: )

Soldato
You'll be lucky to get any money off due to is being a brand new model and probably quite high in demand, I know they've only just hit the showrooms so i wouldn't be surprised if there's already a waiting list. Getting some free extras chucked in will be a result I reckon.

Soldato
OP
You'll be lucky to get any money off due to is being a brand new model and probably quite high in demand, I know they've only just hit the showrooms so i wouldn't be surprised if there's already a waiting list. Getting some free extras chucked in will be a result I reckon.

Yeah I get that feeling at the moment so we'll see.

Soldato
The dealer may make it seem like they are moving on price but ultimately they are just shifting where the money comes from. You can try negotiate some money off the sticker price but normally your best bet at getting "Money Off" is on discounted/cost price extras. Which isn't money off but a better deal to you for something you might already be planning to get. I also negotiate a little extra off by getting the first service free or the equivalent cost removed from the deal price.

You might be able to get money off the sticker if you are taking out finance, which results from the commission the dealer is going to earn off you. But ultimately you are losing that in interest costs unless you find a deal which allows early, penalty free repayment or cancellation.

Associate
You might be able to get money off the sticker if you are taking out finance, which results from the commission the dealer is going to earn off you. But ultimately you are losing that in interest costs unless you find a deal which allows early, penalty free repayment or cancellation.

It is tempting when they're offering 0% finance though. I'm slightly tempted with a new Versys 650 as kawasaki are offering 0% over 3 years, though I suppose you're just throwing away money in added depreciation rather than in interest compared to if you bought a slightly used one with a low interest loan.

Soldato
OP
I think it might also be worth me checking at the end of the season. Superdukes tend to drop to about 11k (new) towards the end of the year.

Soldato
I think it might also be worth me checking at the end of the season. Superdukes tend to drop to about 11k (new) towards the end of the year.

Where are you seeing £3k drops on brand new 0 mileage bikes merely because it is end of season?! The 2017 SDR did not get a price hike over the outgoing 2016 model, so I am not sure KTM are going to start offering new stock discounts at this stage. The 2016 got discounted because EU4 made them difficult to sell being EU3 bikes.

Soldato
Completely agree. Save a few thousand, plus the bike is run in and the first service is already done. I didn't save 30% on the XR but I have saved more than 30% on an Aprilia before :)
There's a guy who does some YouTube videos where he's sold his BMW r-ninet as he's had to save money, so has bought a cheaper bike...

The new bike is a brand new BMW G310R... :rolleyes:

I know it's a lot cheaper than a r nine T, but surely a used bike would have been a much better way of saving money?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
G310R is manufactured in India or Pakistan can't remember now, yeah... ermm nah thanks. Would pick a 2nd hand jap over this any day, purely because I've see the quality of my KTM that was built in India.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Where are you seeing £3k drops on brand new 0 mileage bikes merely because it is end of season?! The 2017 SDR did not get a price hike over the outgoing 2016 model, so I am not sure KTM are going to start offering new stock discounts at this stage. The 2016 got discounted because EU4 made them difficult to sell being EU3 bikes.
Last years model went for 10,999 from KTM Birmingham with an Austin Racing exhaust. 3k less than normal. That was about 4 or 5 months ago, middle of winter.

Soldato
Last years model went for 10,999 from KTM Birmingham with an Austin Racing exhaust. 3k less than normal. That was about 4 or 5 months ago, middle of winter.

Like I already stated, nothing to do with seasonal pricing or discounts. That £11k deal was a HEAVILY discounted 2016 model as a result of the 2017 being launched and not being able to sell EU3 bikes in 2017 without a separate SVA for each bike sold. KTM had to get rid of their EU3 stock, and the deals on the 2016 SDR and Special Editions were then doing just that within the UK.

That deal is not going to happen again this year. *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom