Whats your favourite keyboard?

Associate
Been using a QPAD MK-85 with Cherry Red keys for at least 5 years. Never once let me down in all this time which I've never had with any other peripheral in 21 years pc gaming. Only thing I didn't like is after a couple years the rubberised surface on the casing and wrist pad (not keys) starts to degrade and becomes a sticky dust trap. I finally took apart the keyboard within the last 12 months, washed every key and went to town on this deteriorated coating with my wife's nail polish remover to get it all off. Good as new again.

Associate
There does appear to be a MK-95 now on OCUK. Expensive though!

I used to chuff an e-cig over my keyboard years ago. I always thought it was that leaving a film over it. Don't use one any more and it remained so I figured I'd better google it and like you say, it seems to be a common issue on more expensive peripherals, in particular. I'm sure you'd agree, it does look and feel nice when new.

Associate
I had (well have, need to sell it) a modified Keychron K2 where I padded it. My desk is quite high up, so the high profile of the layout and bluetooth issues (caused by me having multiple devices) meant that while it worked with a cable on my PC; I really wanted a wireless setup.

I researched for ages, willing to build a custom wireless keyboard but in the end the G915 TKL - while stupidly expensive - was the only one that met my requirements. I love it - so much. The tactile keys are exactly what I was after for my typing style. The media controls and volume wheel are awesome and switching between my mac and PC is too easy to do. Perfect for my needs.

Only complaint, apart from the price, is the keys are rattly if you shake the keyboard/ type. Not really an issue usability wise but my Keychron did have that premium "thunk" when you type.

Associate
I think I want full size, also wrist rest is going to be a requirement.

Aftermarket wrist rests are cheap and abundant.

I'm currently typing on a wooden one I got from Etsy :)

Also I would caution against full size if you're spending a lot of time at the computer. I find the wide mouse position brings on aches and pains quicker

Associate
Also I would caution against full size
I hear you and i do spend all day on it. That being said i use the 10key quite a bit so i've pitched for the full size SteelSeries Apex Pro. so expensive but the switch reviews are ace so i'll give it a whirl for my first mechanical since the 90's.

EDIT: Also Account Simulator 2021 doesnt work without a numpad

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks!

I'm thinking I may go smaller, but I don't want to go too far down the keyboard modding hole. It can get very expensive, very quickly.
I’m slowly learning that! Joined a few websites for diy builds and its eye watering, but strangely addictive looking at them.

Associate
diy builds and its eye watering, but strangely addictive looking at them
I know, right? I thought about it myself and i'm on the r/MechanicalKeyboards subreddit, but I feel like i need to make sure they are for me before i start the process of purchasing diy. it's not just the parts, it's the tools you need and then all the time and money.

Associate
I know, right? I thought about it myself and i'm on the r/MechanicalKeyboards subreddit, but I feel like i need to make sure they are for me before i start the process of purchasing diy. it's not just the parts, it's the tools you need and then all the time and money.
Yeah, I think I’m going to go for a leopold tkl with cherry browns and see how I go. Looks like a lucrative business to be in though. $3k for a key cult commission? I’ll do it for 2!

Associate
I think I’m going to go for a leopold tkl with cherry browns
before you do that check out the weird function keys. also if your considering that, go look at the Durgod Taurus K320 TKL, also double shot key caps, can get in cherry browns. i love it in grey with backlight but also really nice in white (not the cream).

Associate
I hear you and i do spend all day on it. That being said i use the 10key quite a bit so i've pitched for the full size SteelSeries Apex Pro. so expensive but the switch reviews are ace so i'll give it a whirl for my first mechanical since the 90's.

EDIT: Also Account Simulator 2021 doesnt work without a numpad

Ah fair play, I'm sure I'm just picky!

I actually built one of these for myself for when I need a numpad - it's a fun little project, and the guy who designed it is super nice

Associate
before you do that check out the weird function keys. also if your considering that, go look at the Durgod Taurus K320 TKL, also double shot key caps, can get in cherry browns. i love it in grey with backlight but also really nice in white (not the cream).
Can’t seem to find the white version, but the grey looks good.
Do you know of any U.K. creators of custom components? I have access to CNC equipment etc. There’s a light bulb above my head!

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech G513?
I wouldn't be using it for gaming, purely for working from home. I definitely need the numpad as I work with numbers quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom