whats your resting heart rate?

Associate
Just laying in my hospital bed bored, just had the lady come over with the heart rate and pressure machine and my heart rate is between 48 and 52 bpm.. Just got me curious on what's normal?

Dude

Soldato
Mine is 53.

No wonder they call you theDude, you're more relaxed even than me.

Around 50 is considered 'athlete level' someone once told me but there are probably a lot of factors that affect your resting heart rate. My blood pressure is pretty low, for instance.

Man of Honour
Sat here relaxed at my desk around 62bpm. I'm sure it drops to below 60 if I weren't at work :p

When running/rowing or lifting weights in particular I'm sure it spikes to over 150bpm. But considering the max safe sustainable heart rate is approx 220-age, it shouldn't be an issue :)

Associate
2 times had it tested were 52 and 58 so about 55 :D. my vo2 max is rubbish though woman asked if i smoked in medical :D. could be lower when not gettign tested though.. hmm didn't lance armstrong have like a 42 resting heart rate or something.

Associate
OP
Cheers, just in for arm operation. I do cycle a lot but I am far from fit 14.5 stone and a gut to match, when it dipped below 48 the machine beep and flashed up warning low heart rate haha glad its the old tickers working well

Zip

Zip

Soldato
72 for me =/

Although i have done a few things which may have raised it a bit. Certainly doesnt feel like im rested thats for sure

Associate
must be about 55.

Low resting rate is not always directly related to fitness levels though.
Max heart rate and how quickly you can return to resting rate is a good measure of fitness.

I think Lance Armstrong might have been under 40 even!

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;14468374 said:
Define 'sustainable'. :) The 220-age is roughly peak heat rate, not your sustainable heart rate for exercise.

If I'm running then I'm aiming for an HR of around 155-165, but I know it can peak at 195 if I'm sprinting.

It depends what zone you want to be in, i.e. fat burning, Energy Efficient or Recovery, aerobic, anaerobic or the red line zone.

You're right though my wording wasn't accurate, sustainable implies keeping it at that rate for a prolonged period of time, it is a peak as you said, but short bursts at maximum HR is beneficial but you do have to sustain it a little. :)

Back
Top Bottom