What's your watts

Man of Honour
The pc in my siggy along with several fans, temp sensors, 2x fan controllers and all the watercooling stuff hit a max of just under 300w at the wall when benching with the gpu heavily overclocked. This is with the cpu and memory overclocked as well. Normal gaming use is up to 252w at the wall depending on the game. Idle is 72w.

Man of Honour
Depending on whether I leave some power savings stuff on or not - 78watt or 105watt mostly idle on the desktop and upto ~420watt or so when gaming.

hit a max of just under 300w at the wall when benching with the gpu heavily overclocked.

Weird that is quite a bit different to mine at 4.6GHz on the CPU and GTX1070 I easily top 300watt in a GPU heavy benchmark and in games like BF4 can hit peaks into the lower 400s.

EDIT: Actually isn't so different just depends what I'm running - firing up The Division and Heaven benchmark is around 290-300watt while other stuff like BF4 is a bit heavier and I'm guessing as I have quad channel memory that is possibly adding a bit more power use as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using HWinfo (CBA to find my power meter) PSU Power line:

Average idle is around 150 watts - 200 watts
Gaming load is normally around 600-700 watts (triple AAA, so something like Witcher 3 where CPU and GPU's are being used well and SLI is on)
Synthetic loads normally around 900 watts - 1KW where all GPU's and CPU's being used.
Seen peaks at times of 1.2 KW's on occasions if I am maxing overclock pretty high and hammering the rig.

In terms of how low I can go, somewhat limited as there is a lot of lightning and water cooling gear, but if I notch down my CPU overclock abit and only use 1 of the GPU's for gaming I can lower gaming use to around 300-400 watts and even less on less intensive games where a frame cap is on so the GPU and CPU are not running at max load.

For your question above, depends entirely on what you consider a decent gaming PC and the games / resolution your trying to run. I have another Rig, 4690k and R9 Nano kicking about and with the latter under clocked on volts, pull 300 watts or so under load and still have a great time on any games I play with it.

Soldato
Lowest power would totally depend on what you would deam to be acceptable performance for say 1080p.

You could probably have a dual core kabylake with 8gb ram and a 1050ti under 250w quite comfortably I would think

Associate
81w idle, used to be 65w but added a couple of fans and an additional HD, typically up to about 420 max gaming, with an average of maybe 380 or 390w, on a 780ti.

I use a UPS with a digital readout, so reasonably accurate, however that doesn't include the screens, which are plugged in separately.

Back
Top Bottom