Wheel weights

Man of Honour
Those things are a ballache to remove it's not likely they just fell off, it's probably left over adhesive from an old one. Unless you've developed a wobble/vibrations then don't worry about it.

Soldato
OP
You need to get the wheel rebalanced mate.

Ahhh right ill have to take a visit to the garage :)

Those things are a ballache to remove it's not likely they just fell off, it's probably left over adhesive from an old one. Unless you've developed a wobble/vibrations then don't worry about it.

As I was riding home yesterday from MOT it felt very wobbly on the front end but I thought it may have just been my new front tyre I had fitted yesterday before the MOT... seems odd as it shouldn't just fall off like you say :confused:

Man of Honour
If it's a fresh tyre it may just be down to the feeling of something round again rather than the old squared one but if you think it's that bad it's worth popping back and asking them to check the balance as you've only just had it fitted.

No point in blindly sticking another weight on as they come in different weights.

Soldato
OP
If it's a fresh tyre it may just be down to the feeling of something round again rather than the old squared one but if you think it's that bad it's worth popping back and asking them to check the balance as you've only just had it fitted.

No point in blindly sticking another weight on as they come in different weights.

I was going to pop back Monday morning as they're shut now... I noticed it also when filtering and riding on white lines, it's like the bike was dragging me over to the side.. I will get it checked as it does feel very odd to ride

Caporegime
Always let a Steve do your weights unless you know exactly what you're doing and have the (rather expensive) kit to do it. As Tom says, take it back and ask them to pop it on the balancer for peace of mind. If they're any good they'll do it for free. If they don't, they're a crap garage, stop going there (this only applies if you take the wheel off yourself, if you bring the whole bike in that'll be a lot more labour and you may have to pay).

Soldato
OP
Always let a Steve do your weights unless you know exactly what you're doing and have the (rather expensive) kit to do it. As Tom says, take it back and ask them to pop it on the balancer for peace of mind. If they're any good they'll do it for free. If they don't, they're a crap garage, stop going there (this only applies if you take the wheel off yourself, if you bring the whole bike in that'll be a lot more labour and you may have to pay).

I always get garages to do the work as I've not got confidence to do it myself... they're usually top blokes where I go and only do work if it definitely needs doing and won't charge if it's not a lot of work.. I will be taking the whole bike in

Man of Honour
I was going to pop back Monday morning as they're shut now... I noticed it also when filtering and riding on white lines, it's like the bike was dragging me over to the side.. I will get it checked as it does feel very odd to ride

Find a nice flat length of road and let go of the bars, if it still pulls then something isn't quite right be that the wheel balance or they've put the wheel back in the forks slightly off center. Going near white lines and the sort of positions you'll be in when filtering normally puts you on crap bits of the road that feel weird.

The only problem is once it's in your head you won't shake it until you've had it checked, been there cost me an hours labour for the peace of mind :rolleyes: :D

Soldato
OP
Find a nice flat length of road and let go of the bars, if it still pulls then something isn't quite right be that the wheel balance or they've put the wheel back in the forks slightly off center. Going near white lines and the sort of positions you'll be in when filtering normally puts you on crap bits of the road that feel weird.

The only problem is once it's in your head you won't shake it until you've had it checked, been there cost me an hours labour for the peace of mind :rolleyes: :D

I'll do as you've recommended and let go of the bar's.. I first noticed it as I got onto the main road from the Garage and was going around a roundabout and it felt like the front was going to give way on me so I kind of hat to sit it up and slowly going round the roundabout...

Man of Honour
That does sound quite like you'd just gotten used to the old rubber and the new rubber was tipping in quicker than expected as it's still got the nice new profile to it but like I said once it's in your mind it's a bugger to shake.

Soldato
OP
That does sound quite like you'd just gotten used to the old rubber and the new rubber was tipping in quicker than expected as it's still got the nice new profile to it but like I said once it's in your mind it's a bugger to shake.

Yeah it probably is just the tyre but I've lost my confidence :p my old tyre was right on the limit so not as if I could've kept that on

Soldato
OP
Quick update. Rang the garage this morning they spoke to the mechanic that done my bike, he said he removed the wheel weight and rebalanced the wheel as the weight wasnt needed, he thinks its because i now have a round tyre instead of a squared off one, its in my head that it doesnt feel right... But hes offered to check it over for free if im that worried about it :)

Back
Top Bottom