When are you going fully electric?

The Tesla satnav is good but its charging plans are only as good as where the superchargers are so you do need to apply some caution if you are going to places which don’t have good coverage.

It can also **** the bed if you are going to Dover via the M20 because it can tell people to charge at Folkestone which is a restricted site for euro tunnel customers only. The last Tesla charger is back at Maidstone.

Fortunately there are alternatives which mean you don’t need to double back but you of course have to know about them or check zap map etc. which was the crux of yesterday’s thread.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The Tesla nav+charging integration is fantastic for most routing, but it's always advisable to have a backup plan using ZapMap or similar. If you do a journey regularly enough then you'll come to learn alternatives as a by-product of circumstance, but knowing about them beforehand is always beneficial. Even just looking at a map before setting off to get an idea of alternates near to the suggested stops is a great idea.

Absolutely. The Tesla nav+charging integration is fantastic for most routing, but it's always advisable to have a backup plan using ZapMap or similar. If you do a journey regularly enough then you'll come to learn alternatives as a by-product of circumstance, but knowing about them beforehand is always beneficial. Even just looking at a map before setting off to get an idea of alternates near to the suggested stops is a great idea.

Gah, EV owners and their love of planning. :rolleyes:

I jest of course but I do long for the day you just get in and drive longer distances with no need for a plan.

For me the benefits of EVs still outweigh the negatives but I can see why for some an EV is not viable.

Last edited:
Everyone has a plan until their charger is out of order they get punched in the face

reputedly google having bought waze were going to provide a unified android automotive system, via commercial charger API's that gave up to date information,
leastways zap-map gives inconsistent information on chargers I would need on regular Norfolk routes.

Everyone has a plan until their charger is out of order they get punched in the face

reputedly google having bought waze were going to provide a unified android automotive system, via commercial charger API's that gave up to date information,
leastways zap-map gives inconsistent information on chargers I would need on regular Norfolk routes.
You can check the status of a charger before leaving / en route with ZapMap. I tend to aim for locations with 10+ chargers available from the reliable suppliers.

When you have a car with more range, you have more choice of where to stop.

As a taxi driver I moved over to electric. Got myself a Tesla model 3p, and I find it great in terms of running costs etc, however I feel I haven’t gelled with it as such.

Has a fault now with the ptc heater not working (no heat), so car is off the road until it’s fixed.

Not entirely sure on electric, I don’t mind it but there are some inconveniences when it comes to pre planning for longer journeys.

I jest of course but I do long for the day you just get in and drive longer distances with no need for a plan.

For me the benefits of EVs still outweigh the negatives but I can see why for some an EV is not viable.

When I say "plan" I mean a brief overview of your proposed route and potential places to charge IF (and it's a big if) the chargers that the car suggests are either rammed or magically offline once you arrive. Thus far it has never happened to me, but with 5 minutes of checking and writing a few extra (non-Tesla) charging locations down on a piece of paper before I set off somewhere I've not been before, it just gives a bit of peice of mind.

99% of the time I jump in and go, but then 98% of that time I won't need to charge for the return journey.

To be fair, that's how I drove to mid France from the UK using Tesla nav. Put in the destination and followed. Only planning was asking if I could destination charge and having the right plug adapter.

When I say "plan" I mean a brief overview of your proposed route and potential places to charge IF (and it's a big if) the chargers that the car suggests are either rammed or magically offline once you arrive. Thus far it has never happened to me, but with 5 minutes of checking and writing a few extra (non-Tesla) charging locations down on a piece of paper before I set off somewhere I've not been before, it just gives a bit of peice of mind.

99% of the time I jump in and go, but then 98% of that time I won't need to charge for the return journey.

To be fair, that's how I drove to mid France from the UK using Tesla nav. Put in the destination and followed. Only planning was asking if I could destination charge and having the right plug adapter.

I know that it not really a plan and more of a brief overview and I get the same level of convenience from Apple Carplay or Google maps. Being able to drive long distances with minimal hassle can done in any EV and is not unique to Tesla. It is easier and more integrated for Tesla owners of course but the Tesla supercharger network is no longer the major USP it used to be.

I've managed to convert my Dad to EVs, he said he'd have one, he now understands the charging thing, but not my step Mum (so it's still a no ;)), she'll only go as far as hybrid at the moment, apparently she needs the ability to drive 500 miles at a moments notice without stopping. They have a 10ish year old Citroen diesel, worth £800 on webuyanycar and I was in it a last week wondering what that weird noise was, but you never know, it could last another 10 years. I think in 2 years a second hand EV would be within their budget.

It's frustrating coz I know once they owned one for a short time they'd both love it. They have a drive and garage with power so at the very least have access to 2.2kW mains charging.

The planning, or at least having some idea of where chargers are on your intended route is why I don't intend to stick with electric.
I very much miss the ability to just jump in the car and go somewhere without worrying about charging options or if I'm already out deciding to go an alternate route away from main roads/motorways.

In general since its a Tesla my planning generally consists of checking where the nearest superchargers are to where I'm going and whether they have any funky parking restrictions. My overall experience with non Telsa public chargers is rather poor so I make little effort to use them.

The range on a long drive isn't generally an issue (I'm diabetic, the car goes further than my bladder) but on my more common holiday type road trips the added time on charging does need to be factored in for figuring out how long it'll take me to get places. For example I quite often stay in the Borehamwood area when visiting London, its about a 7 hour drive in an ICE car but in the Tesla it turns into closer to 8-9 hours due to charging stops which is enough to take it from a comfortable half day off work for the trip to it really needing a full day.

Overall EV's have came a long way in a fairly short time and for a large amount of people are probably a perfectly good option they just aren't quite there for everyone just yet.

One big thing that would help imo is getting the DNO's to get a finger out and get new chargers connected to the grid, the amount of new chargers I see sitting built and ready to roll for weeks/months but with no power is getting silly.

ex30 looked like it might be a chinese ev about to bridge the gap with chinese range/efficiency combined with an extensive EU-volvo dealership/maintenance network,
versus the stellantis/MEB1stGen, or MG/tesla/polestar.
however articles about software instability are painting it in mould of id3 first gen : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...icks-original-infotainment-despite-criticisms

looks like maximum overdrive will have a sequel - egh ?

ex30 looked like it might be a chinese ev about to bridge the gap with chinese range/efficiency combined with an extensive EU-volvo dealership/maintenance network,
versus the stellantis/MEB1stGen, or MG/tesla/polestar.
however articles about software instability are painting it in mould of id3 first gen : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...icks-original-infotainment-despite-criticisms

looks like maximum overdrive will have a sequel - egh ?
Google translate please

The planning, or at least having some idea of where chargers are on your intended route is why I don't intend to stick with electric.
I very much miss the ability to just jump in the car and go somewhere without worrying about charging options or if I'm already out deciding to go an alternate route away from main roads/motorways.

In general since its a Tesla my planning generally consists of checking where the nearest superchargers are to where I'm going and whether they have any funky parking restrictions. My overall experience with non Telsa public chargers is rather poor so I make little effort to use them.

The range on a long drive isn't generally an issue (I'm diabetic, the car goes further than my bladder) but on my more common holiday type road trips the added time on charging does need to be factored in for figuring out how long it'll take me to get places. For example I quite often stay in the Borehamwood area when visiting London, its about a 7 hour drive in an ICE car but in the Tesla it turns into closer to 8-9 hours due to charging stops which is enough to take it from a comfortable half day off work for the trip to it really needing a full day.

Overall EV's have came a long way in a fairly short time and for a large amount of people are probably a perfectly good option they just aren't quite there for everyone just yet.

One big thing that would help imo is getting the DNO's to get a finger out and get new chargers connected to the grid, the amount of new chargers I see sitting built and ready to roll for weeks/months but with no power is getting silly.
Why the obsession with public chargers. If you need public chargers you are probably better off staying ice for cost per mile. If you have home/work charging then milk the Goldilocks era whilst you can.

Why the obsession with public chargers. If you need public chargers you are probably better off staying ice for cost per mile. If you have home/work charging then milk the Goldilocks era whilst you can.
Yeah it seems folk can't get out of their head that they don't need to visit a "refuelling" station...

Edit: just realised the chap does a SEVEN HOUR drive to get to Borehamwood. He is a nutter

Last edited:
I went to a borough council EV event and this was one of the things that stuck in my memory from the talks.

In the 'myth busting' session they decided to ask themselves the question 'if everyone plugged in their electric car at once would the lights go out' oh how they all rolled their eyes and laughed...

...then we had the guy from UK Power Networks telling us how parts of the network are hanging on by a thread and cited the example of how much planning needs to be put in place and the considerations of the network when allowing for a single 50kWh charger. I can't remember the lead times they were suggesting to put in a rapid charger but they were, not rapid.

The talk of scheduling when people would be 'allowed' to charge was interesting. I always assumed that was going to be incentivised through pricing but it certainly sounded like they were looking to be more granular than that and it not being something the individual has any control over. That said there was also a strong 'we don't really know' vibe.

If my car comes with an app that I can schedule charges with, presumably I don't need a charger that is compatible with Octopus Go or other ev tariffs? I can just get any tariff and any EV charger and schedule the car to charge during off peak times?

Last edited:
Yes, as i understand it.

If you want the 6 hours at 7.5p then the car or charger has to be compatible with octopus intelligent. My Pod point is not compatible, but my BMW 330e is, so i just plug in and octopus talks to the car via the BMW app and they arrange the charges between 11.30pm and 5.30pm, ive had the odd hour outside of that time when the car was plugged in.

If my car comes with an app that I can schedule charges with, presumably I don't need a charger that is compatible with Octopus Go or other ev tariffs? I can just get any tariff and any EV charger and schedule the car to charge during off peak times?
Sort of, the cheapest EV tariffs need a compatible charger or car and they vary by tariff.

You need to research the specific tariff you are thinking of and make your choice accordingly.

Most here use Octopus Intelligent Go, it doesn’t have the lowest headline rate but it gives cheap electricity to your whole house in the cheap period, not just your car (like say OVO).

I imagine some Jaguar owners are referring not get ring a compatible charger after this weeks events. I don’t say that to have a dig, it’s more to make the point that these things are also not set in stone, support could be pulled from the car or the charger at any time, even for the most popular tariff.

Last edited:
Go gives you cheap for the whole house too. Depends on his many kWh you are going to use for car and house. Tracker might be better for high home users and low miles

Back
Top Bottom