When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I only know two people with caravans, one of them takes it to their site in April which is 220ish miles away, and brings it back again in October. The other keeps it on his drive and seems to go away with it at every opportunity, with the site he goes to most being all of 65 miles away, but then 65 miles is actually a decent distance in the UK. Not sure if either of them would buy an EV, as one thinks a 2002 Range Rover is the best vehicle ever made, and the other has a 2014 Nissan Cashcow and looks after it better than his wife and kids. :p

Caporegime
What's the point in spending all that money, time and effort on a caravan if you're only going to go just down the road for a week?
I really don’t understand this either. What’s wrong with just turning up and living in equal conditions to your house. Don’t understand why you want to drag some piece of wood to then live less comfortably than at home. People I know do it because ‘the kids enjoy it’.

But this is another thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Controversial but towing a box around is just wasteful - use accommodation already at your destitution!
My guess - eventually the personal use Caravan business will die out
we don't have a caravan or camper but I can see the attraction of them the freedom of being able to go where ever you want.
I know a person who converted a transit van into a sleeper for him and his Mrs during lockdown, and have since drove all over Europe in it. because it's just a transit van it can park up in a carpark right next to the beach.
is it wasteful.... I dunno . I admit I haven't done the maths but as someone who goes on a plane from time to time I suspect driving a camper or even towing a caravan is probably better than me getting on a plane tbh

Last edited:
Caporegime
we don't have a caravan or camper but I can see the attraction of them the freedom of being able to go where ever you want.
I know a person who converted a transit van into a sleeper for him and his Mrs during lockdown, and have since drove all over Europe in it. because it's just a transit van it can park up in a carpark right next to the beach.
is it wasteful.... I dunno . I admit I haven't done the maths but as someone who goes on a plane from time to time I suspect driving a camper or even towing a caravan is probably better than me getting on a plane tbh
Campers. All great until you want to nip to the shops and then you have to take your house.

You can’t just take a caravan anywhere either. But EV to say Cornwall would be annoying having to stop especially as it’s likely you need to unhook to charge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Campers. All great until you want to nip to the shops and then you have to take your house.

You can’t just take a caravan anywhere either. But EV to say Cornwall would be annoying having to stop especially as it’s likely you need to unhook to charge.
I guess you need to go full yankie mobile home things, one you can hook a small car or a pair of motorbikes too. not sure how you would manage of small Cornish roads however :D

Soldato
What's the point in spending all that money, time and effort on a caravan if you're only going to go just down the road for a week?
Sorry, I meant less than a week. For a week you’d probably be going further.

It’s mainly the practical reality. Most sites operate like hotels, you can’t arrive before 1pm and you have to be off by 11/12.

If your going away for say the bank holiday or weekend, you’ll leave after work on Friday, at most you’ll be going is 2 hours away (~100 miles) or it will be the middle of the night before you have dinner.

Soldato
Any thoughts on the Merc EQA 350 4-Matic? Was perusing a potential change for my dad. I saw a used one, ~3k miles on the clock. For a £5k deposit it was £290ish a month over 36 months. Thought that was pretty decent. Might go take a mooch around Merc dealership tomorrow. I was reading up about the EQC originally but at 2500kg it said even with the bigger battery the range was no better than the smaller EQA.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any thoughts on the Merc EQA 350 4-Matic? Was perusing a potential change for my dad. I saw a used one, ~3k miles on the clock. For a £5k deposit it was £290ish a month over 36 months. Thought that was pretty decent. Might go take a mooch around Merc dealership tomorrow. I was reading up about the EQC originally but at 2500kg it said even with the bigger battery the range was no better than the smaller EQA.

Some great deals on Merc's as their Agility PCP keeps a decent GFV. I suppose it depends what else you can get for similar money as well, do you know the approximate TCO for the 36 months?
EDIT: Did you look at the EQB, different looks but seems like a more practical vehicle at a similar cost?

Last edited:
Soldato
Some great deals on Merc's as their Agility PCP keeps a decent GFV. I suppose it depends what else you can get for similar money as well, do you know the approximate TCO for the 36 months?
Thanks. I didn't read past those headline figures sorry. :) I'll go hassle some sales people tomorrow. We went to the Volvo event end of last week see if anything stood out, but prices were crazy. Good deals on new models with decent APR. Anything over 1 year old and APR was through the roof. Nothing for £5k deposit. Having to put down at least £10-12k to get a slightly newer XC60. No thanks. There was a lovely Polestar XC60 up for grabs though.

Soldato
I'm sure the mercedes dealer won't hesitate to gut you.

they just seem to be missing the boat for saloon ev's - watching bits of the i5 M60 touring reviews released over last few days.

Caporegime
I'm sure the mercedes dealer won't hesitate to gut you.

they just seem to be missing the boat for saloon ev's - watching bits of the i5 M60 touring reviews released over last few days.
Is there a message here ? Just buy a saloon Ev and tell us how it is. An id7 is no saloon either

Caporegime
Seeing a lot of EVs around now.
Heard value is coming down quite a lot.

Hope to be able to pick a decent one up in the next 5 years.

Most are butt agly though. Especially that mustang. That front grille but not a grille? Seriously.. Make it look more EV!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. I didn't read past those headline figures sorry. :) I'll go hassle some sales people tomorrow. We went to the Volvo event end of last week see if anything stood out, but prices were crazy. Good deals on new models with decent APR. Anything over 1 year old and APR was through the roof. Nothing for £5k deposit. Having to put down at least £10-12k to get a slightly newer XC60. No thanks. There was a lovely Polestar XC60 up for grabs though.

Why is he changing his car? £5k burning a hole?

Caporegime
Seeing a lot of EVs around now.
Heard value is coming down quite a lot.

Hope to be able to pick a decent one up in the next 5 years.

Most are butt agly though. Especially that mustang. That front grille but not a grille? Seriously.. Make it look more EV!
If you want choice buy a new one ?

Caporegime
Why do you want one then. They are a SS tax fiddle until duty comes up and BIK changes. Your not saving anything buying second hand

I like the idea of low maintenance, and especially charge at home, etc.
Also, that new toy feel!

Work do a salary sacrifice on used lease cars... But was still too expensive to justify. They obviously know you're saving 40pc so bump up the monthly cost. Looked like you barely saved anything compared to the best wider market deals.

Caporegime
Low maintenance happens with any new car. Why is an Ev magic low maintainence. You work at home. Get something fun, you aren’t commuting 50miles a day !

Back
Top Bottom