When are you going fully electric?

Id be interested to hear if the Michelin are much different to the continental's once they've bedded in, mine has premium contact C all round and they're very average at best in the wet. Also wearing pretty quickly on the rear, 9kish on the car and I expect they'll need changed in the next 3-4k miles or so.

Company car though so again zero issue for me
I had Bridgestones (18") and moved to Goodyear, the Bridgestones were awful, always scrabbling around for grip on take off, and Goodyear seem fine so far

It’s a 16 min stop on the way home. Imagine how much quicker it would be with preconditioning :cry:
Thanks for the route charge estimation - I concede that, a 12minute stop would make that journey, and an ID3, very viable.

(I don't see that fast forwarding through a few youtube videos as part of a balanced ev ownership info diet is bad - although the car maintenance videos have much more value)

(I don't see that fast forwarding through a few youtube videos as part of a balanced ev ownership info diet is bad - although the car maintenance videos have much more value)
I agree in theory but in practice YouTube serves up what it thinks you will click and that very rarely delivers a balanced point of view.

Simon's figures make it very simple if a 60kW charge rate is a good ballpark figure. Even I can do the maths of 1 minute = 1kWh = x miles per minute based on whatever the efficiency is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the route charge estimation - I concede that, a 12minute stop would make that journey, and an ID3, very viable.

You sound like the experts at my work, they know all about EVs yet don't own one.

Worked out to change brake calipers yet? Thought you would be an expert in stuff that stops.

Clearly the videos are an issue when you think 40 mins is the charge time when it’s nothing of the sort.

There’s no such thing as a “balanced EV ownership diet” you either have an EV or you don’t. I’d suggest you stop pretending:

a: you have one
b: your opinion is some sort of fact.

Last edited:
No preconditioning no heatpump for my 58kWh Born (ie. An ID3)

It’s a 16 min stop on the way home. Imagine how much quicker it would be with preconditioning :cry:

edit: there's an alternative route via a Tesla SC that is a 12 min stop lol

I do those distances in my truck in similar time and I am limited to 56mph. I presume those times include stopping to charge?

Also why is the return route going back past Nottingham and Leicester? Is that because of the the charger as going back the way you came on the A1 is far less stressful and less likely to get caught in traffic going past the cities.

Last edited:
I do those distances in my truck in similar time and I am limited to 56mph. I presume those times include stopping to charge?

Also why is the return route going back past Nottingham and Leicester? Is that because of the the charger as going back the way you came on the A1 is far less stressful and less likely to get caught in traffic going past the cities.
It’s automated route planning so it’s taking into account traffic conditions. It was a Saturday morning though so that makes sense the m1 isn’t completely rammed. The route it sent you might be different on a weekday but equally are you heading into the middle of nowhere to go hiking on a Tuesday at rush hour?

ABRP is a little inconsistent with the exact routes it gives but it seems pretty unbeatable for that overall 'how long and how much?' question for a particular trip.

I managed to cost up about 2 months worth of past work trips for comparison of how viable they would be in an EV in about 20 minutes.

It’s automated route planning so it’s taking into account traffic conditions. It was a Saturday morning though so that makes sense the m1 isn’t completely rammed. The route it sent you might be different on a weekday but equally are you heading into the middle of nowhere to go hiking on a Tuesday at rush hour?

No route I have just driven enough to know how long that kind of mileage takes.

there'll be something that holds me up unrelated to the car.

I knew it! Mrs decided she wanted to look around Dobbies so now I am sat in the car waiting for her, 4 of 6 chargers in use, only 1 in use when I arrived. I mean imagine the though of being forced to do shopping while your car charges, it is an outrage! Still only around 30 miles from home so done well, ended up charging for ~13 mins on the way there, just enough to go to the loo and grab a muffin to go with my tea. Estimated getting back on 4% but now I am sat twiddling my thumbs, I'll leave an extra 10% just in case. 3h 2mins to get there inc. charging as Waze re-directed me to avoid some traffic which was good.

Still no answer from JP, so he is clearly just a troll and needs to be banned.

Anyone done any drives to france (paris ish) in peak times ie school holidays? Im heading over during half term to Disney paris, and were are leaving on saturday. I fully expect Dover to be absolute carnage, but im wondering how much of a queue i should expect at chargers along the way. ABRP suggests i need to charge at Calais (from 10-65%) and a charge on the A1 at Roye (10-48). Will get a few alternate plans jotted down, but im a little nervous as its the 1st big trip with the wife and kids, so anything to calm my nerves will help:p

Anyone done any drives to france (paris ish) in peak times ie school holidays? Im heading over during half term to Disney paris, and were are leaving on saturday. I fully expect Dover to be absolute carnage, but im wondering how much of a queue i should expect at chargers along the way. ABRP suggests i need to charge at Calais (from 10-65%) and a charge on the A1 at Roye (10-48). Will get a few alternate plans jotted down, but im a little nervous as its the 1st big trip with the wife and kids, so anything to calm my nerves will help:p

Are you going via Euro Tunnel? If so you are pretty well covered for a quick charge top up before you board, as there are ~20 chargers there between the Tesla and Engie ones. It's around 210 miles from where you are, so you'll likely be on about 20-30% remaining, depending on weather and traffic. I only know one person that drives through France and they are basically stating if we have it as good as they do on the main routes no one would complain. Did you get discount Ionity with you i.D7? If so there is one just before Calais for one the way back.

Back
Top Bottom