When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Someone dyno’d a Polestar 2
I thought the kick from about 30mph felt strong :D

The x Axis is speed, from 0 to about 125mph

Soldato
Apparently Anderson have change the built in RCD protection so it no longer meets U.K. regs and a separate RCD now needs to be installed which increases install costs a bit.

Soldato
It’s a recent change from what I am aware, I saw a spark mention on YouTube it because they changed it.

I should add that I’m not a spark and in terms of your own it’s impossible to say. I’d assume that the installer did it correctly.

That said even if it’s been wired into the CU it’s possible to bypass the RCD there as you normally would do if it’s built in to the charger already.

I was just flagging that the unit changed recently and that may change your install cost. There are a few different types of RCD and they don’t all meet the requirements for EV chargers so it may need to be swapped.

Soldato
What home chargers do most people have?
I have a podpoint tethered at home which is fine, install was straight forward and trouble free. It does what it should during off peak hours overnight.

At work I had two SyncEV units put in with a subsidy grant as I figured it wouldn't be around forever. They were a little flaky to start with due to GSM signal problems but recent updates seem to have sorted them out. Both small units that are inconspicuous apart from the glowing ring which you can't turn off.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd avoid Zappi at the moment. They're having big supply chain issues and lots of burnt out RCDs being reported.

Personally I'll be going for an Andersen A2 because I don't want to dangle a giant cable on the wall and the Hypervolt is a bit too flashy for me (plus the Raspberry Pi inside would spell disaster where I want to mount it).

Soldato
Just out of interest, why would a Pi inside it cause a problem over any other type of controller?

I see hypervolt have deleted the hypervolt branding off the front of it so it’s a bit less flashy.

Soldato
Just got an email from Mercedes saying the reveal for the EQE will be on the 5th September at 5.00pm. Very interested to see what this is like as it will more that likely the BEV I will buy. Hopefully it will be a smaller EQS

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
Out of interest has anyone had any experience with the ICS chargers? Intelligent charging systems....

Electrician highly reccomends these, they also look very sleek and minimal.

Soldato
Out of interest has anyone had any experience with the ICS chargers? Intelligent charging systems....

Electrician highly reccomends these, they also look very sleek and minimal.

Personally I'd suggest getting a tethered cable for home use which the three they sell don't have. Having to get out and put away the type 2 cable every time I wanted to use it would get old pretty quickly.

Soldato
Personally I'd suggest getting a tethered cable for home use which the three they sell don't have. Having to get out and put away the type 2 cable every time I wanted to use it would get old pretty quickly.

That initially was my thought too, however I dispise the cable on show wrapped around a pod. My friend has a zappi and it just looks absolutely unsightly. Also, if I'm plugging it in in one end, the other end won't kill me :D

Im new to the electric world, picking my VW ID3 up hopefully within the next week :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not kept up with chargers tbh ours is a really old Chargemaster and just works. Was free with the Zoe and never had an issue with it, although it doesn't have any smart functions at all.

We needed a 10m cable so ours is untethered, but just left on there and wrapped round the pod. Worst of both worlds :D

Soldato
Just had our Hypervolt fitted today, looks pretty neat. The finish on the front isn’t what I’d expected - I thought it might be a smooth/glossy white plastic. It it has a coarse texture, a bit like stonechip from a Schultz gun so would blend in nicely against a rendered wall of a similar colour.

The app seems to do everything we’d need, including putting in a day/night tariff (i.e. Octopus Go) and setup scheduled charging. The leds can be very bright…they can also be off ;)

Back
Top Bottom