When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It’s a much broader discussion than cars. Look at gas storage in the UK. We haven’t stocked up due to the unusual high prices over the summer. Just because stuff is available doesn’t mean wholesalers will have the ability to purchase it.

Caporegime
Your whole discussion was about ICE vs EV, was it not? Clutching with a story about a freak accident that impacts the electricity supply isn't really relevant.
The complete opposite! The U.K. irrelevant of cars might have power cuts. Tbh if they do driving is the least of our worries

Soldato
2030 is under 9 years away and they haven't even really started upgrading the infrastructure to support millions of EVs yet, they are never going to make it on time now.

I suspect they will push the ban date back to the original 2040 one, which was likely the tactic all along to temporarily shut the Greta funs up.

Don
Here's a question that just occurred to me; What happens when an EV runs out of charge? When the range gets to 0 does it just stop completely or does it go in to a sort of limp mode where it will run slowly so you can get off the carriageway etc?

Associate
Won't be for a while yet. Too expensive and range not good enough.
I have a friend who says the range is not good enough for him to consider an ev.

He has a works van that he takes home and he shops local.
Hi argument is he "needs" to drive a 500 mile round trip once a year.

His parents have just bought a car....an ev:D

The price i can understand but how many people do 200 miles + in a single trip - frequently?

Man of Honour
The price i can understand but how many people do 200 miles + in a single trip - frequently?

Quite a lot of people do! Perhaps not you, or anyone you know, but living down here in the South West pretty much anywhere we want to go away from home is a 200+ mile trip each way. I am frequently grateful of the 600-700 mile tank range of my car and that's despite the fact that 'recharging' it takes 2 minutes or so.

If we knew with 100% certainty that any destination - even if its a long stay carpark or something where you'll leave the car for a reasonable period - would have guaranteed charging it would change things - but we're not there yet. Nobody wants to get back late on a flight or something, get to the car and find they don't have the range to get home as they used most of it getting up there a week ago and there wasn't a charging point they could park at for 1-2 weeks whilst they were away.

These are things that will improve with time. I am hoping the next generation 5 Series, which will presumably be developed ground up to be an EV, will do at least 400 miles on a charge and I'll be very, very interested in it.

The key to getting more people to adopt EV isn't to keep shouting at them that they are wrong for wanting range.

Associate
Quite a lot of people do! Perhaps not you, or anyone you know, but living down here in the South West pretty much anywhere we want to go away from home is a 200+ mile trip each way. I am frequently grateful of the 600-700 mile tank range of my car and that's despite the fact that 'recharging' it takes 2 minutes or so.

If we knew with 100% certainty that any destination - even if its a long stay carpark or something where you'll leave the car for a reasonable period - would have guaranteed charging it would change things - but we're not there yet. Nobody wants to get back late on a flight or something, get to the car and find they don't have the range to get home as they used most of it getting up there a week ago and there wasn't a charging point they could park at for 1-2 weeks whilst they were away.

These are things that will improve with time. I am hoping the next generation 5 Series, which will presumably be developed ground up to be an EV, will do at least 400 miles on a charge and I'll be very, very interested in it.

The key to getting more people to adopt EV isn't to keep shouting at them that they are wrong for wanting range.
I never shouted, yet i see the same arguments of range when the same people do less than 300 miles a week.

Lately you don't get guaranteed refuelling of ICE vehicles without a 30-60 minute queue ( can charge an EV to 80% in that time) - we all saw what pandemonium that caused with people brimming their tanks for the school run.

I agree with the infrastructure needing to keep up with ev sales as otherwise it will just be betamax all over again.

Man of Honour
Lately you don't get guaranteed refuelling of ICE vehicles without a 30-60 minute queue ( can charge an EV to 80% in that time) - we all saw what pandemonium that caused with people brimming their tanks for the school run

That's a very unusual situation though (and one which hasn't affected me) but it's how we may find EV going if the infrastructure doesn't scale faster than the adoption rate of EV. At least at the top of the queue each person is finished after a few minutes currently..

I gather at the moment you sometimes need to queue to use a charger at a services.

Don
I gather at the moment you sometimes need to queue to use a charger at a services.

Or you get to a motorway services and find that all of the chargers are out of order. That happened to by mate last weekend at Birchanger services on the M11. He ended up having to head across to Stansted Airport to use a charger there as he was already very low on juice.

Tea Drinker
Don
Been driving the wife’s 208e round for the last day or so. Range wise full charge this morning says 220 miles but today with heaters A/C wipers lights and left it in sports mode and flying around all day I went through 130 miles of range in about 80 miles.

Associate
That's a very unusual situation though (and one which hasn't affected me) but it's how we may find EV going if the infrastructure doesn't scale faster than the adoption rate of EV. At least at the top of the queue each person is finished after a few minutes currently..

And when i did have a diesel quite a few of the supermarket fuel stations had 10-15 minute queues most of the time. Nothings perfect i guess.

Again it's down to personal circumstances as i charge from home so don't need to rely on external chargers.
It works for me but may not for others, once sales rep vehicle adoption takes off then it will last the foundation for joe public's once a year long trip.

Soldato
Been driving the wife’s 208e round for the last day or so.

Assuming that is because you couldn't get fuel for your ICE car easily?

Range wise full charge this morning says 220 miles but today with heaters A/C wipers lights and left it in sports mode and flying around all day I went through 130 miles of range in about 80 miles.

Range from GOM is based on previous driving style, so you were ragging it, while she dries it sensibly maybe? ;)

Soldato

you might be waiting a while. BMW think 600km is enough. As more compromises the car too much for the perceived benefit (space, weight, costs) Also battery charging speed rather than density has been the more recent advancements and there’s some series hubs coming if you follow what Gridserve, Osprey and MFG are doing.

I share the BMW view. My bladder or those of passengers often is the first reason to stop on a journey.

Back
Top Bottom