When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Audi aren't ever far behind them tbh. If VW made the same car, the options cost would be around half.

That is what I liked when I spec'd my last Merc, I just added the Premium Plus to my want list and it was~£3k +VAT at the time, but added absolutely loads of kit, Burmeister sound, Panoramic Roof, larger infotainment screen, COMAND Online system, and a few other options, something to do with memory seats, and mirrors or doors or something that i clearly wasn't too fussed about. I know the GT is a premium vehicle, but when you are buying at that end of the market are you happy to just get the pee taken out of you, I guess you just bend over and take it if you 'need' carbon inserts.

Soldato
I have a hard time believing anything from Audi could be more alive and involving compared to a Porsche. Most reviews Ive seen say the RS e-tron GT is a more comfortable GT car compared to the Taycan. Admittedly it does look prettier than the Taycan and thats coming from someone that pretty much hates everything from the VAG stable

Soldato
Yes, some differences IIRC.

I think you can have rear wheel steering in the Tycan but you can’t on the eTron. I think there are some other suspension changes.

Caporegime
But isn't the Taycan basically the same car as the Etron GT?

In the same way the VW Toaureg is the same vehicle as the Audi Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne but all three cars drive differently and are tweaked to different markets - the VW go with the newest and latest tech, the Audi goes for interior quality (and is the slowest of the 3) and the Porsche goes for performance and handling. Well on that platform they do anyway.

That is what I liked when I spec'd my last Merc, I just added the Premium Plus to my want list and it was~£3k +VAT at the time, but added absolutely loads of kit, Burmeister sound, Panoramic Roof, larger infotainment screen, COMAND Online system, and a few other options, something to do with memory seats, and mirrors or doors or something that i clearly wasn't too fussed about. I know the GT is a premium vehicle, but when you are buying at that end of the market are you happy to just get the pee taken out of you, I guess you just bend over and take it if you 'need' carbon inserts.

Same ehere when i specced up my GLE. Premium plus package got me tonnes of kit which would cost double when speccing up a BMW or Audi.

Both Audi and Porsche must be making a huge profit on these two cars. There are tonnes of profit in the options which people spending over £100k tend to tick.

Lets face it, they really aren't going to sell many baseline RS GTs with no options ticked?

Soldato
But isn't the Taycan basically the same car as the Etron GT?

Yes they share much of the same platform but the Porsche is as you would expect, is setup suspension and steering wise to be a sports car whereas the E-tron is setup softer and more like a GT. Softer and more comfortable often doesn’t translate to more alive and involving, a better daily perhaps

edit: Just to clarify, I haven’t driven either but is what I gather from reviews that compare the two.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, just stating reviewers seem to think there is a difference. A better daily car doesn’t often translate to be a more alive and involving drive, compared to a sports car setup despite being based on the same platform, which was my original point.
I guess the point was that it's a comfortable, 4-door saloon. It's hardly designed to be anything other than a "daily".

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I have driven both and the RS e-tron GT is the better driving car on the road. I wasn't hanging about in either car and honestly over the kinds of roads you'd usually go for a fun drive on the RS is the better car for me. The Taycan felt almost sterile in comparison.

Caporegime
Reviews do say Audi absolutely nailed the steering on the RS and the all wheel steer helps the difference between that and the Taycan (unless you add all wheel steering as an option? Is it available as an option on the Porsche?)

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I love the RS E-tron GT.

The Vorsprung adds the following over a standard GT

• 21" '5-spoke' design alloy wheels in black with graphic print
  • Gloss Carbon Styling Package
  • Audi rings and logos in gloss black
  • RS interior design package in Red
  • Carbon Twill Inlays
  • Front seats with ventilation and massage function with rear heated seats
  • Night Vision Assist
  • Head-up Display
  • Parking Assist with Remote Parking Pilot
  • City Assist Pack
Which is fine if you want all those options I suspect the the cost of all those items comes to more than the £21k price difference. If you dont then much cheaper to spec the car for how you want.

Personally I would rather spec the car up with what I want. Some options arent available like the 5 spoke wheels though.

You didn't answer the question I asked but I've done some more digging and it looks like the actual answer to my question is that you seemingly cannot individually spec almost all of the extras on the Carbon Vorsprung list and no, they aren't worth £12k. I'm not too upset about that except it would appear that the "quiet" glass is only available this way which is something I might have optioned if it was a sensible cost.

What I would love to see is a complete list of actual options/spec present for each level in a table with the spec for each ticked so you can see at a glance what the real differences are between them. Relatively trivial ask I would have thought yet I can't find anything even remotely this clear. I might have to build it myself!

As it stands, if I specced my car the way I wanted it (inc speccing bits I don't want to get options I would definitely want) I would be looking at £121,735.00 OTR. Which is quite a lot for an Audi IMO but probably not a lot for a brand new car with this performance.

Soldato
I guess the point was that it's a comfortable, 4-door saloon. It's hardly designed to be anything other than a "daily".

Agreed but the comment was relative to a car on the same platform, in that the Audi was supposed to be a better daily compared to the Porsche, not that either car weren’t good to be used daily.

Soldato
e-tron or mercedes eqs ? also has the rear wheel steer and purpose platform, but doesn't seem to have come out on top of the weight(and thus some handling) benefits that that should concur - how much more than the speeced out e-tron is it though.
rear wheel steer must be generally offsetting some of the weight on the handling front, for both.

was reading the i4 is 1000LB more than the model3 predominately through having kept the g20 chassis without the carbon benefits of the i3 or 5 series.- so 4 adults !

Soldato
e-tron or mercedes eqs ? also has the rear wheel steer and purpose platform, but doesn't seem to have come out on top of the weight(and thus some handling) benefits that that should concur - how much more than the speeced out e-tron is it though.
rear wheel steer must be generally offsetting some of the weight on the handling front, for both.

was reading the i4 is 1000LB more than the model3 predominately through having kept the g20 chassis without the carbon benefits of the i3 or 5 series.- so 4 adults !
Yeah, bit of a shame that. I'd still rather have an i4 over a Mod 3 personally. Not sure on the exact weight difference as seems to vary reading around, I thought it was around 200kg, top end Mod3(performance) to i4 M50 comparison. The i4 platform, while dual purpose (ICE BEV), I'd imagine some thought about electrification went into the design of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom