When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I'm tempted to go electric for my next car but so far I haven't seen anything that's caught my eye. Most of the EV's out just now are bland econoboxes, large SUVs or are super expensive. I've not really seen anything in the price range £30-40k I'd normally spend on a car. The only one I did consider was the Honda-E but the ridiculously low range of it (130 miles) makes it impractical as my main car.

Having said that I quite like the look of that upcoming Cupra Born though so that might be a contender. Looks way nicer than the VW ID3 even though it's clearly built on the same platform. Gives me flashbacks of the Renault Clio Williams in the dark blue paint with those gold/bronze flashes.

Cupra Born
https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/cars/cupra-range/born.html

articleheroimage.resizedViewPort.scale.assetRootXL.jpg

Everyone keeps hyping up Tesla but I've heard the fit/finish of the cars isn't always great compared to other manufacturers. I'm not a fan of the stying of Tesla's models either. Are they really that much better than their competitors or is it just hype with them being first to the EV party and the new kid on the block up afgainst the old guard?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
What does the Cupra Born give you over an ID.3?

I agree it looks nicer - saw one yesterday whilst window shopping.

Soldato
What does the Cupra Born give you over an ID.3?

I agree it looks nicer - saw one yesterday whilst window shopping.

Looks nicer IMO. The interior quality and finish is better as well. plus higher grade spec/infotainment as standard .Not massively different though admittedly!

i like the size of the id3 and don’t mind the but it has a very white goods /clinical feeling about it. Lacking in excitement/flair whereas the cupra seems more interesting.

I’ve never driven an electric car which is why I’d wondered how others found the VW offerings compared to others like Tesla?

Soldato
Tesla offer a very compelling package at the Model 3/Y price points but that doesn't mean they are best in class at everything so it depends on what your priorities are. Other cars do some things better, that is a fact and the design isn't for everyone. Fit and finish is something you used to be able to complain about on an old £100k Model S but it isn't on a Model 3/Y, particularly those which are made in China like we get here, the fit and finish is excellent.

The MEB platform itself is good but it isn't really best in class at anything (IMO). I mean it's perfectly fine in a car like the ID.3, particularly at the price you used to be able to get them for in the early days but at RRP, they are quite pricy IMO. The Cupra looks fast but it's not that fast in EV world, for context its slower than a 60kwh Nissan Leaf. It has a average range and charges pretty averagely by 2022 standards.

The one thing that everyone blasted the ID.3 (and 4) for when it launched was the fit and finish, it was very much a step down from a MK.7 Golf and cheap feeling in comparison. While the Cupra is not an ID.3, I can't see it having a better interior given they are targeting very similar price points. I'd expect a lot of hard plastic in the interior of the Born.

I'd suggest going and sitting in a Tesla and then go and test an ID.3 Max which is the closest thing to the Born you can sit in right now and see what you think before drawing any conclusions.

What does the Cupra Born give you over an ID.3 ?

Mostly cosmetic, the ID.3 is pretty safe in terms of styling, the Cupra is a bit more boy racer.

I think that sums it up, as a package goes, its good but nothing stand out in any area other than the look.

Soldato
ID3 is going to get a major refresh soon to fix the launch perceives quality issues from the customer feedback, Cupra could have fixed that from its launch hence may well have better interior.

It’s definitely needed as the id3 is a step down in quality from the Golf. The materials and trim levels aren’t acceptable for a £30-40k motor IMO.

Looks like it won’t happen until 2023 though :(

https://insideevs.com/news/552039/volkswagen-id3-refresh-coming/amp/

Soldato
plus higher grade spec/infotainment as standard .
born's not got HK or BW audio system has it ? with full equalizer say - absence of rear speakers in the (perhaps just the base) ID3 is a criticism I recollect,
seat's had made a thing of getting in well known dj's/musicians for audio tuning, but I hadn't heard that attributed to born.

The materials and trim levels aren’t acceptable for a £30-40k motor IMO
but ... this is the new normal for EV's somewhat, the money has been spent elsewhere .. or they are just making a bigger mftr margin.

Adaptive suspension availible on ID3 - and Born ? would be attractive

Soldato
I don’t think final Uk spec/pricing is out for the cupra born yet so I guess we won’t know exactly which options are available until it’s available to order.

Soldato
I was referring to the UK configurator going live to configure. Nothing odd about that. Most decent stereos have done fine with front speakers for years, no need to Google that, let alone regurgitate into frankly baffling posts. I read enough, not all…

Anyway, nice shots here.

Cupra-Born-2022-800-8b.jpg

Decent interior compared to ID.3

Soldato
To be fair the climate controls are in the lower bar below the screen, however they are touch sensitive awful to use and as mentioned in video not backlit, also means where you would normally rest a hand for touchscreen is a control surface.

Much prefer the dials in JLR cars as a sensible blend. That said, i never really touch them anyway, only press to turn dial into seat heat/cool which really is a perfect solution.

Associate
I never touch the heater controls in my Model 3, if the weather is cold enough I've already preheated the car before getting in unlike back in the ICE days when you'd turn it up to full as soon as you get in then having to turn it back down again once it got too warm.

Caporegime
I never touch the heater controls in my Model 3, if the weather is cold enough I've already preheated the car before getting in unlike back in the ICE days when you'd turn it up to full as soon as you get in then having to turn it back down again once it got too warm.
Or just understand how a thermostat works on climate control. There is no inherent difference to cabin warming with ICE and BEV

Caporegime
I never touch the climate controls in either of my cars. They stay set at 21 degrees. Having the controls on the touchscreen would make no difference to me.

I would normally agree with you but every time I get into the car after my GF she has changed all the temps and which vents are active.................grrrrr. Shame there wasnt a memory setting like the electric seats.

Back
Top Bottom