When are you going fully electric?

Fair enough. What realistic range do you get out of the etron? Which model is it?

It's the 50, so the difference in usable capacity between the MG4 trophy and mine is negligible. I think there's about three kw in it.

I can't remember the RRP, but it's around the £65k area whereas the MG is £32. When I placed the order, it was either an etron for £200 a month or a corsa e for £211. You know why I ended up in an etron.

Audi have replaced the etron with a MK2 Q8 variant. Same car, minor improvements with a price tag knocking on £100k :eek:

Real world range, well it isn't great. This time of year charging to 80% we get about 80 miles. In the summer, I think the best we did was around 160. Town driving which EVs excel at is terrible in the etron due to its weight. Driving to and from work we get 2kw a mile showing on the display. When I was on the motorway trying to set a record, I was able to hit 3 which I was quite proud about lol

The range has never bothered us as we don't do long journeys. In 2.5yrs we've only been to a public charger twice. Good job as the infrastructures crap. To be fair, both times we never had an issue but I did plan to ensure we went to an instavolt site with 8 150kw stalls. I couldn't be doing with going to the slower sites with only 2 stalls. Sod that. If we did more miles, and I was paying top dollar (ie, not through works car scheme) I'd probably stay with petrol for another few years.

Other than the mobile app being useless, and the range being crap, the car itself is fantastic. It's so comfortable. It's a really nice place to be, plus it's quite fast. Considering how heavy it is, it's 0-60 time is 6.6 which is the same as my old civic Type-R.

Last edited:

I was quite excited about this car when I first heard of the concept (helped by me generally being a fan of Mazda) but the end result is quite disappointing.

To me the concept of a range extender, as someone who works on site covering the whole of the UK, is an excellent one. My regular grind to the office plus 95% of family trips can be done without public charging or using a drop of petrol and when it comes to site visits a quick stop at a petrol station on top of a full charge and I'm good to go.

I hear the arguments of "lugging around an ICE" and for most people I'd agree, a BEV with a modest range is the sensible answer. I would counter that though by saying surely there it is just as illogical for people to be "lugging around" 76kWh of battery to do their 10 mile commute. Also the number one concern of most people seems to be public charging. Petrol stations are well established, quick to use and don't require the same energy consumption as a small town to juice up a dozen cars over a half hour period.

I'd always thought previous range extenders weren't really given a fair crack having been developed with a repurposed engine from a city car or a motorcycle with a coke can for a fuel tank. So here was Mazda set to buck the trend with a REX with a completely bespoke engine designed from the ground up to serve purely as a generator... And it gives a fuel economy, once the battery runs out, of 29 MPG. TWENTY NINE

*facepalm emoji*

Dunno I think they use on Q4 aswell. Some indicative of power output that doesn’t really work :D

to be fair, I despair at the thought of Audi’s use of the etron branding let alone the trim numbers. They had etron, q4 etron, etron GT.

I seem to remember that they had a bunch of hybrids branded etron as well previously. How’s anyone meant to know what they they even are?

At least they have sorted of fixed that with making it a Q8 etron.

*facepalm emoji*

Physics is a bitch isn’t it?

Even the BMW i3 with its tiny scooter engine only got about 40mpg and that’s a featherweight in the context of a BEV.

To me, (here I go again) destination charging is the primary answer that should be pushed forward for this issue. Bung it on an 11kw AC charger and you’ll have a 50+% charge in the few hours of your site visit.

to be fair, I despair at the thought of Audi’s use of the etron branding let alone the trim numbers. They had etron, q4 etron, etron GT.

I seem to remember that they had a bunch of hybrids branded etron as well previously. How’s anyone meant to know what they they even are?

Yeah they are finally sorting it out

ICE versions will be the same as before, A6, Q8 etc and BEV's will be A6 E-tron, Q8 E-tron etc

Last edited:
And it gives a fuel economy, once the battery runs out, of 29 MPG. TWENTY NINE

I like it as an option, it will be interesting to see how this does in reviews, great for someone who does long trips occasionally and for the most part can destination charge, despite cutting battery down they have still left a 17.8 battery which is a nice amount of local EV mileage before needing fuel and the engine should be pretty light, I wonder how this compares to the full EV version for weight.

Last edited:
Q7 & A3 PHEV was also e-tron :cry:
Yup. TFSI-e now, which actually makes sense. 55 60, all the jazz still makes no sense though!
It's the 50, so the difference in usable capacity between the MG4 trophy and mine is negligible. I think there's about three kw in it.

I can't remember the RRP, but it's around the £65k area whereas the MG is £32. When I placed the order, it was either an etron for £200 a month or a corsa e for £211. You know why I ended up in an etron.

Audi have replaced the etron with a MK2 Q8 variant. Same car, minor improvements with a price tag knocking on £100k :eek:

Real world range, well it isn't great. This time of year charging to 80% we get about 80 miles. In the summer, I think the best we did was around 160. Town driving which EVs excel at is terrible in the etron due to its weight. Driving to and from work we get 2kw a mile showing on the display. When I was on the motorway trying to set a record, I was able to hit 3 which I was quite proud about lol

The range has never bothered us as we don't do long journeys. In 2.5yrs we've only been to a public charger twice. Good job as the infrastructures crap. To be fair, both times we never had an issue but I did plan to ensure we went to an instavolt site with 8 150kw stalls. I couldn't be doing with going to the slower sites with only 2 stalls. Sod that. If we did more miles, and I was paying top dollar (ie, not through works car scheme) I'd probably stay with petrol for another few years.

Other than the mobile app being useless, and the range being crap, the car itself is fantastic. It's so comfortable. It's a really nice place to be, plus it's quite fast. Considering how heavy it is, it's 0-60 time is 6.6 which is the same as my old civic Type-R.
Oh wow, as bad as that? And I thought 55 miles in my little i3 was bad :D
Totally see where you're coming from. MG might not be such a bad shout then. I don't think they prioritise speed on their EVs like ze Germans do though..

Phyics is a bitch isn’t it?

Even the BMW i3 with its tiny scooter engine only got about 40mpg and that’s a featherweight in the context of a BEV.

To me, (here I go again) destination charging is the primary answer that should be pushed forward for this issue. Bung it on an 11kw AC charger and you’ll have a 50+% charge in the few hours of your site visit.

Didn't the Ampera (e.g. 10 year old tech) get something like 50mpg out of its petrol engine?

Physics is a bitch isn’t it?

I completely agree with regards to destination charging. Being able to confidently know I could get a full charge when stopping off overnight at a hotel would eliminate the vast majority of my need for rapid charging. At the moment though charging is a token effort or non existent in the hotels I use. As for the sites I work at (mainly colleges) I have to double check I can even get a parking space let alone a charge point.

I don't doubt it will improve but I'm not so confident that it will do so at a rate to match the vehicle uptake.

Maybe my expectations are too high but for an engine that literally has one job - to run at the optimal efficiency for charging the battery, I was hoping for equivalent petrol ICE efficiency at the very least.

Maybe my expectations are too high but for an engine that literally has one job - to run at the optimal efficiency for charging the battery, I was hoping for equivalent petrol ICE efficiency at the very least.

Especially as its 74bhp running at low rpm for a wankel, I can't imagine its that bad, Mazda builds some very efficient engines, I wonder if they have been very conservative with the numbers. I mean I do 20-odd powering my wheels and charging my battery with a 2.2 tonne suv and a 312bhp 2.0 turbo not known for efficiency.

Last edited:
No, standard connectivity is included for 8 years with new cars, older cars have unlimited. You get a 30 day premium connectivity trial with Model 3 and Y (Model S/X get a 12 month trial) and it's 9.99/month or 99/year afterwards.

Arguably more generous than Polestar who only give you 3 years of connectivity...

The thing that baffles me a bit is that from what posters above have said, the sat nav won't work at all after 8 years on a Tesla unless you pay up? Not ideal given there's no other options like Carplay/Android Auto! What about Polestar?

The navigation works with no connectivity at all so that's not true.

Nobody has a car without lifetime connectivity that's 8 years old so we don't know what Tesla will do when that happens... they probably don't either!

The thing that baffles me a bit is that from what posters above have said, the sat nav won't work at all after 8 years on a Tesla unless you pay up? Not ideal given there's no other options like Carplay/Android Auto! What about Polestar?

Polestar has Carplay

That's correct, it may well stop working after 8 years unless you pay a yet to be disclosed subscription. Premium connectivity is on top of this for the extra features that it comes with.

However, you can attach the car to your phones Wi-Fi hotspot and get most premium connectivity features and I've seen a lot of people do this. There is also a hacky way to get CarPlay/Android auto on the car through the cars browser, some pretty clever out of the box thinking to get that working.

The navigation works with no connectivity at all so that's not true.

Nobody has a car without lifetime connectivity that's 8 years old so we don't know what Tesla will do when that happens... they probably don't either!

The T&C's are the standard connectivity is included for 8 years, so yes it may stop working after 8 years without paying a subscription (but see my point about Wi-Fi above). But yes I also doubt any manufacturer would keep lifetime connectivity in place as its just not sustainable as volumes ramp.

The other point to factor in is that it runs off 4G and 8 years is a long time in the tech space. I expect 4G will start winding down within 8 years as we will be building out 6G by then. Owners of older Model S/X cars have already had to by 3G > 4G radio upgrades to maintain functionality as 3G is disappearing rapidly in favour of 5G.

On a non-tesla related note, I walked past my local Vauxhall dealer today and I spotted quite a few pre-registered Corsa-E's and a few un-registered Mocka's on the forecourt and in stock. They also had a bunch of un-registered vans (assume they are ICE) and an absolutely packed used car section. That would have been unheard of just a few months ago, times are really changing.

Longish video just for the discussion but I think Harry hits the nail on the head with the current situation:

I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an EV. Most likely waiting for a "cheap" trainstation runner whenever they appear
Only 20% for the year according to the BBC just now.

Pretty low considering the low BIK incentives and deadlines in place???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom