When are you going fully electric?

There is some truth in it though. For some reason folk always talk 200 miles one way and then figure they'd take a break after 3-4 hours of driving, which is fair, but often I do my mums house (200 miles round trip) and my in laws (200 miles round trip). I mean I drove to child minders yesterday (4 miles?) and then to work (100miles). I then drove to dinner (5 miles?) and then drove home 100 miles.

I'd love to own an EV that can comfortably do this without requiring a destination charger/relying on public charging. Public charging is just $lol when you factor in the additional outlay of an EV. Even my E43 managed 420 miles to a tank with lots of booting it and fast motorway driving, at a cost of just £111 (super 95).

And yeah shoot me for "driving in an atypical way to the 99%" but that doesn't mean I can't whinge and want to find an EV that fits the bill.

a model 3 long-range would very comfortably achieve 210 miles off a single charge. Hell, I've done nearly that in my wife's Model Y performance, in the dark and wet (properly torrential) whilst it's 0c and not even trying to drive for efficiency (mostly motorway at 80mph plus a couple of bits of fun IE m6 toll booths...), and that's WAY less efficient than a model 3 long range (it's half a ton heavier, less aerodynamic and huge wheels).

The more reviews/comparisons etc that come out, especially where the focus on the criticisms of charging networks, the more it kinda proves the point that the only viable EVs on the market are still Teslas for longer journeys. Love or hate their cars, they're efficient and superchargers just work, are plentiful, are quick, reasonably priced and really show up the rest of charging infrastructure.

Last edited:
a model 3 long-range would very comfortably achieve 210 miles off a single charge. Hell, I've done nearly that in my wife's Model Y performance, in the dark and wet (properly torrential) whilst it's 0c and not even trying to drive for efficiency (mostly motorway at 80mph plus a couple of bits of fun IE m6 toll booths...), and that's WAY less efficient than a model 3 long range (it's half a ton heavier, less aerodynamic and huge wheels).

The more reviews/comparisons etc that come out, especially where the focus on the criticisms of charging networks, the more it kinda proves the point that the only viable EVs on the market are still Teslas for longer journeys. Love or hate their cars, they're efficient and superchargers just work, are plentiful, are quick, reasonably priced and really show up the rest of charging infrastructure.
Yeah for sure, or a Polestar maybe.

Once the PUG lease is up in 2ish years I'll consider swapping the main car to an EV and getting something fun :D

Only because of sunk cost fallacy; i.e. you have spent £30k on an asset that is depreciating at an alarming rate.

Why does the car need to cost £30k?

If I had to commute to work by train it would cost me £15/day, or ~£300/month.
Fuel cost is ~£4/day, or ~£80/month.

After taking into account insurance, tax, maintenance etc, you're still looking at ~£150/month left over to pay for the car, which is more than enough to pay for a 10 year old car in reasonable condition every 3-4 years.

That's purely looking at commuting costs. Every time you want to go on holiday, visit family, go out on a day trip, etc. you then have to pay through the nose for train tickets for the whole family, e.g. if we wanted to visit my mum for a long weekend next month it would cost £240, visiting my brother tomorrow for the weekend would cost £312. Making regular trips like that would pay for a lot of car ;)

On top of this, there's the additional time it takes. My commute would take 1hr30 mins by train (that's assuming I take my bike, which creates its own problems), vs 20-25 mins drive. Along with the wasted time, that also means paying for extra wraparound childcare.
Door to door to my bro is ~1hr45min. On the train, station to station is 2hrs10mins, plus a taxi to the local station, and a taxi from the destination station to his house - additional cost and time (return journey is 3.5 hours!)

There are obviously specific cases where the train makes more sense than driving. E.g. if you don't care about actually getting to your destination, and I wouldn't drive into the centre of Birmingham if the train was an option, I'd take the train go somewhere else instead.

Taking the train to get across the UK is also much easier and quicker than driving.

I'm not sure which UK you are referring to, but it's certainly not the one which comprises of England, Scotland and Wales!

My other half was supposed to be on a night shift last night (she was off sick) - commuting by train she wouldn't have gotten home until 6am tomorrow!
She is on a night shift tonight. If she was going to commute by train, she would have to leave home at 10.30pm last yesterday!

I can't speak for London, but here in the West Midlands, the train service is absolutely ****.

Last edited:
I had to go to Birmingham the other day.

50mins to get into London.
20mins to get to Euston
75mins to Birmingham

So just under 2.5hrs.

For me to drive it's a minimum of 3.5hrs and I can't get on with any work, read a book, sleep, relax, watch something. Then I'd have to find a place to park and drive around a city I'm not familiar with.

Cost is a moot point as it's expensed, but the ticket was under £120. The fuel to get to birmingham and back, plus the mileage cost per mile and the parking wouldn't be too dissimilar for the business.

My commute would take 1hr30 mins by train (that's assuming I take my bike, which creates its own problems), vs 20-25 mins drive.

Much the same here just to get across Bristol ~8 miles, 1hr 30 by 2 -3 buses depending on route. 15-20mins by car ( though 1hr in bad times, fortunately flexible)

I mean, I used to commute to Maidenhead from Bristol, it was approx 86 miles, did this quicker than the bus could get me 8 miles across Bristol :D

Sure cars cost and you have to be able to have that outlay but once you have got one there is so much more flexibility.

I should note I have never taken a bus across Bristol in recent times, not since I was in college days, 30odd years ago) so only going by First bus journey planner but with the times given I have actually jumped on the bicycle when we have been without a car and despite cycle tracks being quite decent and having an electric bike, it is an absolutely miserable experience, though it only takes ~40mins.

Last edited:
I had to go to Birmingham the other day.

I'm so sorry :(

In all seriousness though, as I said, there are some limited cases where it makes sense (e.g. if you can do something productive during the journey, then it's not so much wasted time). City centre to city centre is also usually not too bad, since the stations are likely to be within a relatively short walk of your starting point/destination.

However, if that was you taking the family on a day trip to Birmingham ( :cry: :cry: :cry: ), how much would the train have cost?
How long would that same journey have taken you today? (I'll give you a hint, the answer is more than 24 hours)
How many tents, sleeping bags, wetsuits and suitcases did you have to carry?

Last edited:
:D

Someone has to do it!

I agree trains are too expensive still in this country, but the kids LOVE the train - but probably would have been expensive, but also it's still less of a hassle having to go round the M25 etc...

I mean don't get me wrong we use our car, but if I can avoid it for long journeys I do. I went to Berlin for a conference last year, I travelled by train. Took longer, wasn't cheaper, but it was far more relaxing (for me!).

I thought things like Konas could do 200 miles+ in all weathers?
They can, well the 64kwh Kona, Nero and Soul can.

A standard range model 3 can in all but the foulest coldest weather we hear here 2 days a year. Even when it can’t, we are talking about a 2-4 min rapid charge or less than an hour on a slow charger.

P.s. trains are useless as soon as you need to go somewhere the train doesn’t nor can you buy anything you can’t carry. You can’t do a weekly shop on the train or go to B&Q.

Last edited:
They can, well the 64kwh Kona, Nero and Soul can.

A standard range model 3 can in all but the foulest coldest weather we hear here 2 days a year. Even when it can’t, we are talking about a 2-4 min rapid charge or less than an hour on a slow charger.

P.s. trains are useless as soon as you need to go somewhere the train doesn’t nor can you buy anything you can’t carry. You can’t do a weekly shop on the train or go to B&Q.
I've already covered the use case. No one is denying it can do ~200 miles one way but throw in my sample use case of 2x100miles and a few short trips in between and it becomes very tight.

Edit: Wickes delivery is 7 quid and most stuff I struggle with wouldn't fit in a car anyway. Again you are talking sunk cost fallacy.

Last edited:
"and I can't get on with any work, read a book, sleep, relax, watch something."

I'm hoping the tesla will allow me to do this one day soon.
I mean it completely controls my motorway journey now.

That is good news, I assume that 125kw is at 800V rather than 400V though (e.g. a 200A limit)?

Still, 80kw is better than 50kw.

EDIT - the data sheet I just found suggests that is the case. A bit cheeky calling that 'ultra rapid' but its better than a kick in the teeth.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :(

In all seriousness though, as I said, there are some limited cases where it makes sense (e.g. if you can do something productive during the journey, then it's not so much wasted time). City centre to city centre is also usually not too bad, since the stations are likely to be within a relatively short walk of your starting point/destination.

However, if that was you taking the family on a day trip to Birmingham ( :cry: :cry: :cry: ), how much would the train have cost?
How long would that same journey have taken you today? (I'll give you a hint, the answer is more than 24 hours)
How many tents, sleeping bags, wetsuits and suitcases did you have to carry?

And as if to prove my point, my other half is due to start work at 10. She would get the train but they aren't running. Tried to get the bus 40 minutes ago, but so far 2 scheduled services have failed to turn up, so she now needs to pay £15 for a taxi. Nobody can do their ****ing jobs these days.

Public transport in this country either needs a massive overhaul, or just getting rid of.

Instavolt have said they are upgrading over 200 of their 50kW chargers to 125kW over the next six weeks, so that is some good charger news.
what do they do to upgrade local batteries or grid infrasructure to enable this ? or,
they just rely on multiple cars not arriving at the same time and demanding 125KW simultaneously.

That is good news, I assume that 125kw is at 800V rather than 400V though (e.g. a 200A limit)?

Still, 80kw is better than 50kw.

EDIT - the data sheet I just found suggests that is the case. A bit cheeky calling that 'ultra rapid' but its better than a kick in the teeth.
Also looks like it is a pairing system, so 125kW only if the paired partner charger isn't in use? Like you say though, better than nothing

no surprise if you have basic physics - sounds like need a regulatory body to enforce honest product advertising.

e: polestar bst review from last night - up the sporty ev segment

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom