When are you going fully electric?

tariffs on Chinese imports is a tough one, you had to tariff most of the Evs in this country :D BMW, Merc, Volvo/Polestar, VW Group, no doubt some Teslas, you'd pretty much kill the EV market.

My YouTube recommendations is rammed full of videos on the Ford Explorer. Not much to say as its not actually a real car yet but it is probably what the ID.4 should have been.

Best looking VW based car yet. I like it a lot, shame they didn't splash out and build it on Tesla hardware, that'd would have been much better.

I think I have a US SUV styling problem, I also like the little Jeep Avenger EV :o:cry:

Last edited:
Best looking VW based car yet. I like it a lot, shame they didn't splash out and build it on Tesla hardware, that'd would have been much better.

I think I have a US SUV styling problem, I also like the little Jeep Avenger EV :o:cry:

I love the Avenger but I think the Explorer is rank.

Wahey, got a delivery date for my Niro - next Tuesday :D

Not had an EV for 3 years, and it seems the public charging landscape has change significantly since then - just wanting to check I've covered all (or at least most) possibilities:

- "Ecotricity" is no more, so I can safely bin the RFID card and delete the app. Electric highway still exists, and is now branded "Gridserve", but all their chargers work off contactless, so no need for an app/RFID card.
- I'm on Octopus Go, and have an "Electric Universe" card - this covers the majority of networks I'm likely to encounter out and about.
- Kia Charge exists, this seems to cover mostly the same networks as Electric Universe, but there are a couple of big ones which are on here but not on the Octopus one (Instavolt and BP Pulse are the ones I've noticed).
- I have a Polar Plus card... this seems to have been rebranded to BP pulse? Still worth having? Maybe not if I get the Kia Charge card/app?

Got a nice long road trip arranged for the middle of May, ~270 miles each way (Birmingham to Cornwall), so right on the very edge of the range of the car (probably not realistically achievable on a charge given a high number of motorway miles), but looks like some decent charging sites en-route (Bodmin, Exeter, Cullompton, Cribb's Causeway, Michaelwood are the main ones I'm looking at)

Last edited:
My YouTube recommendations is rammed full of videos on the Ford Explorer. Not much to say as its not actually a real car yet but it is probably what the ID.4 should have been.
yeah same here - video after video of explorer even chrome has loads of suggested page. the only thing that interest me on that car is the price LOL.

i got an enyaq which is a direct competitor of that car and shares the same platform. on spec the two cars have the same things even down to boot space. so it is really how much Ford is able to charge for the new entry. if the base model is £40k in UK, that bodes well for residuals of ID4 and Enyaq and any future MEB based mid-sized SUV.

Wahey, got a delivery date for my Niro - next Tuesday :D

Not had an EV for 3 years, and it seems the public charging landscape has change significantly since then - just wanting to check I've covered all (or at least most) possibilities:

- "Ecotricity" is no more, so I can safely bin the RFID card and delete the app. Electric highway still exists, and is now branded "Gridserve", but all their chargers work off contactless, so no need for an app/RFID card.
- I'm on Octopus Go, and have an "Electric Universe" card - this covers the majority of networks I'm likely to encounter out and about.
- Kia Charge exists, this seems to cover mostly the same networks as Electric Universe, but there are a couple of big ones which are on here but not on the Octopus one (Instavolt and BP Pulse are the ones I've noticed).
- I have a Polar Plus card... this seems to have been rebranded to BP pulse? Still worth having? Maybe not if I get the Kia Charge card/app?

Got a nice long road trip arranged for the middle of May, ~270 miles each way (Birmingham to Cornwall), so right on the very edge of the range of the car (probably not realistically achievable on a charge given a high number of motorway miles), but looks like some decent charging sites en-route (Bodmin, Exeter, Cullompton, Cribb's Causeway, Michaelwood are the main ones I'm looking at)

Instavolt have contactless so don’t worry about that one unless it gives you a discount. I think a lot of newer BP rapids also take contactless so the card is only useful for older and AC units.

I’ve got a bunch of cards but to be honest, I just use the app for that network because it’s normally easier. I use public chargers that need an app so infrequently and trying to keep track of which card does which network is impossible. It’s not like you are getting a discount either unless you pay a subscription, it’s never worth it if you charge at home.

They can be useful if you go overseas though, getting foreign apps and signups are a nightmare as many only release the app in their native countries App Store or require a local address!

Queue the rush to produce a defeat device… followed by routine dip testing… people are going to people at the end of the day.

I can’t see efuels being particularly attractive due to the cost and I can’t see the cost coming down to a level that’s remotely competitive with current fossil fuels. With that in mind, the most logical choose will be BEV for the overwhelming majority of people.

I think there's a big enough demand for efuels that they'll continue to be developed and hence drop in price, still most will switch to BEVs but some will want to keep using ICE for various reasons (thinking track/racing stuff mostly really) and if efuels can be made on scale and 'cleanly' then it's the inevitable solution.

Saying that the EU plan to allow new car sales seems a very odd one to say the least...

Back
Top Bottom