When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Interesting you mention Hyundai and KIA, it seems to me they really gained reputation with their EV offerings, whilst their ICE products are good, they aren’t anything to write home about (well apart from the stinger or I30n).

The traditional big boys have been seen to be absolute dinosaurs when it comes to BEV’s.
They are also monsters in how many cars they sell.

Soldato
Yes because car loyalty is a thing. Sure some people it isn't going to make any difference but you also risk alienating some of your most loyal customers.

If they can't buy the thing they recognise, they'll more likely to not buy your new product and go elsewhere.

Soldato
Yes because car loyalty is a thing. Sure some people it isn't going to make any difference but you also risk alienating some of your most loyal customers.

If they can't buy the thing they recognise, they'll more likely to not buy your new product and go elsewhere.
Na, they'll filter by range and cost and then see if it offends them.

Soldato
Well I just saw MG4 on offer, brand new, PCP at £99 pm 0% APR for 3 years with just over a £9k down payment. So if you are trying to get out of an older ICE car, seems like a decent deal once you sell it or trade in.

Caporegime
Well I just saw MG4 on offer, brand new, PCP at £99 pm 0% APR for 3 years with just over a £9k down payment. So if you are trying to get out of an older ICE car, seems like a decent deal once you sell it or trade in.
Haha literally 250 a month in the deposit to get ‘only 99 a month’

Newsflash. Not everyone has £9k just sat around to buy a new car, nor £1k for the charger to enable lower running costs than a ICE…

The MG4 is tiny too. Hardly a car for a family.

Last edited:
Associate

I saw this deal as well. Not bad if you are after a MG4 and have the money sitting around. Never had a PCP deal before though, so I don't really understand the final/balloon payment. What is to stop the PCP company from making up a ridiculous figure when it comes time to settle up if you want to keep the car?

Soldato
I saw this deal as well. Not bad if you are after a MG4 and have the money sitting around. Never had a PCP deal before though, so I don't really understand the final/balloon payment. What is to stop the PCP company from making up a ridiculous figure when it comes time to settle up if you want to keep the car?
The final value is et out when you sign the deal

Soldato
Haha literally 250 a month in the deposit to get ‘only 99 a month’

Newsflash. Not everyone has £9k just sat around to buy a new car, nor £1k for the charger to enable lower running costs than a ICE…

The MG4 is tiny too. Hardly a car for a family.
Not sure why you are being so negative.

It’s £350/month to drive a brand new MG4, that seems like a good deal to me. That said I assume the milage is tiny to get it at that price.

Likewise if you are purchasing a brand new car and you don’t have £9k to put in, you should probably consider whether it’s a good idea to buy a brand new car in 2024…..

Also MG4 isn’t tiny, it’s a perfectly sensible ‘family car’. Not everything needs to be a massive estate/SUV to be considered a ‘family car’. When I was a ‘wee lad’, most of the cars my mum had only had 3 doors. An MG4 would be gargantuan compared to what I was driven around in as a child.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure why you are being so negative.

It’s £350/month to drive a brand new MG4, that seems like a good deal to me. That said I assume the milage is tiny to get it at that price.

Likewise if you are purchasing a brand new car and you don’t have £9k to put in, you should probably consider whether it’s a good idea to buy a brand new car in 2024…..

Also MG4 isn’t tiny, it’s a perfectly sensible ‘family car’. Not everything needs to be a massive estate/SUV to be considered a ‘family car’. When I was a ‘wee lad’, most of the cars my mum had only had 3 doors. An MG4 would be gargantuan compared to what I was driven around in as a child.

Even if you had 9k you would pretty mad to put 9K into a brand new EV.

That's why the vast majority of EV sales are tax jobs. No one with a sane mind would purchase privately brand new unless you got money to burn.

Early Taycans less than 3 years old are already less than 50k. That is is S class and 7 series levels of depreciation if not more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Na, they'll filter by range and cost and then see if it offends them.

Unless you think MG as a brand is setting hearts on fire again? :cry:
Absolutely.
Likewise when I was a very young boy I was sat in the back of my Dad's Chevette with a booster seat and a lap belt. Something that would be beyond belief today. Things move on and people's requirements change.

I also remember even his smaller cars having a decent size boot. Something you can't guarantee today.

Soldato
Even if you had 9k you would pretty mad to put 9K into a brand new EV.

That's why the vast majority of EV sales are tax jobs. No one with a sane mind would purchase privately brand new unless you got money to burn.

Early Taycans less than 3 years old are already less than 50k. That is is S class and 7 series levels of depreciation if not more.

I wouldn’t go that far to say it’s mad to buy a brand new EV.

The Tycan has S class levels of depreciation because it costs S class levels of money to buy.

The Tycan is a very nice car except for the ‘EV bits’ which are a bit ‘first gen’ and could do with some significant improvements. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the depreciation is horrific, it’s just a really expensive commodity car which is never going to be a future classic.

Back to the MG, it’s an already a cheap car and this is PCP so the cost to you is fixed. It’s £12,600 + minimal running costs to own a car for 3 years. ICE or otherwise, your not going to get as much new car for materially less money.

I’m not sure what the issue is really assuming the milage limit is sensible (E.g. 9k-10k).

2022 cupbra borns can be had for 20k now

People are mad buying a new ev
Used ones wouldn’t be £20k if people didn’t by new ones by their truck load. Weren’t we all complaining about the high cost of used cars 5 minutes ago?

Edit: yes we were

Last edited:
Soldato
Also MG4 isn’t tiny, it’s a perfectly sensible ‘family car’.

Depends what you do with your family, it's fine for day to day usage, but far too small for family holidays, camping trips etc.

If you're happy to hire a bigger car/get a taxi to the airport then fine, but if you have a couple of kids then it just doesn't have the space

Soldato
I wouldn’t go that far to say it’s mad to buy a brand new EV.

The Tycan has S class levels of depreciation because it costs S class levels of money to buy.

The Tycan is a very nice car except for the ‘EV bits’ which are a bit ‘first gen’ and could do with some significant improvements. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the depreciation is horrific, it’s just a really expensive commodity car which is never going to be a future classic.
is there a massive difference between used Panameras and used Taycans? Suspect probably not but people like to hate on EVs

Back
Top Bottom