When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
tesla earning update .. intriguing that they are improving model Y manufacturing technique mid-season .. single piece casting on rear body, new heat pump.
https://youtu.be/vEvXfHHEdNc?t=398
listened to hear his infamous comments on lock-down ... Musk comes over, surprisingly hesitantly, in his discourse.

I've got a few shares so I'm interested in the Model Y and the improvements over the TM3 especially as I may order one to replace my TM3 at the end of next year. Watching the Munro vids on YT you can see where they got some things right and other areas still needing improvement. That cast rear is in sections currently moving to a single large casting will improve it further. The TM3 rear end was a bit of a fudge with many parts welded together so the TMY rear is now almost elegant despite the current join.

Soldato
Watching the Munro vids on YT you can see where they got some things right and other areas still needing improvement. That cast rear is in sections currently moving to a single large casting will improve it further. The TM3 rear end was a bit of a fudge with many parts welded together so the TMY rear is now almost elegant despite the current join.

and really expensive...

Soldato
Yes they are in local areas to tightly control geometry and stiffness. Tend to be a brittle fracture so not as as energy absorbing.
For me Tesla can be argued as appropriate for those trades as the rear motor locks out anyway so the body can’t absorb as much energy in rear impact and punching a hole in a plastic fuel tank isn’t a concern. Might also help manage NVH from the proper hatchback opening and the bonkers size glass roofs with limited cross beams. Boot is not like the model 3 so they have made this part of the car on the Y do more work and happy to pay for it to improve vehicle attributes.

Soldato
Watching the Munro vids on YT you can see where they got some things right and other areas still needing improvement.
yes just watched the casting one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGvwLnNyF0
it would be interesting for munro to compare their manufacturing solution against volkswagen MEB platform say ,
which looks pressed/welded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYK26Fn9Uo ...
wonder if the chinese tesla factories will have aluminium casting tech.
[was it nissan who made some comment about a £30m body press in the uk ... might be something similar for ice]

Soldato
and really expensive...

Well Munro are the perfect people to tell you that so long as you buy there final final costing report for a hefty sum. Once perfected and scaled for production I assume they plan to make saving over the multi-stage construction of a more traditional rear end. They certainly couldn't of done a worse job that the Model 3 :)

According to the earnings report they are already profitable on the Model Y.

Are cast sections common? I thought most were pressed now?

Becoming more common on cars. I think my previous i3 had large die castings at each corner to locate suspension components.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where have you been for the last two years Shi? :D

Its not in production yet and there are others looking to replicate that performance (but for for £250k mind) like Rimac.

It should be said that it’s relatively easy to make an EV have a low 0-60, even a leaf will embarrass much faster cars in traffic light drag races to 30. High top speeds are more challenging as most have single gear ratios. Weight in the corners poses the biggest problem.

600 mile range in a small sport car just isn't going to happen in reality.
yes it will, it has a 200kwh battery pack...

Caporegime
Yes they are in local areas to tightly control geometry and stiffness. Tend to be a brittle fracture so not as as energy absorbing.
For me Tesla can be argued as appropriate for those trades as the rear motor locks out anyway so the body can’t absorb as much energy in rear impact and punching a hole in a plastic fuel tank isn’t a concern. Might also help manage NVH from the proper hatchback opening and the bonkers size glass roofs with limited cross beams. Boot is not like the model 3 so they have made this part of the car on the Y do more work and happy to pay for it to improve vehicle attributes.

Yeah, being brittle is why I thought they'd largely been abandoned. It does make sense doing it where geometrical tolerances are crucial although I'm assuming a forged and machined part would be superior.

Soldato
looks like tesla had (past tense) someone particularly expert in casting, patents etc
https://www.foundrymag.com/molds-co...9/tesla-is-turning-to-diecasting-in-a-big-way
can't but believe that vw would have invested in casting tech had it been justified, looks like they converted an existing production line for MEB, maybe for their next generation, there will be casting, but, with their mass production, they would need to ultimately deploy, advanced casting to multiple factories.

Soldato
Yes, they always over-estimate the range on their own specs. You won't get anywhere near that especially if you use the performance.

its cited at 200kWh pack, which is insane. But battery tech day is coming.

Same as any car, did you know the I-PACE ring taxi can do more laps (4-5) on a charge than a tank of fuel Project 8 or F Type SVR. (Dry after 3)

Back
Top Bottom