When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Shame even on top spec ones you don’t get a heat pump as std, or pan roof for that matter.
Did VW do something to reconfigure their innovative CO2 heat pump - they had had to pay compensation to german owners because the heat pump did not deliver the range improvements VW promised,
and if you didn't need the marginal range improvement it gave, it was cheaper to use the additional £700,option price, to pay for a lot more Kwh's of electrcity, to make up for it's absence.

Soldato
Had already sorta guessed it would be delayed. The delivery date is 25 Jan - 5th Feb, Its Uk stock apparently.

But who knows if they are telling the truth
The boats might need to go around the long way so don’t be disappointed if it gets delayed!

People tend to discuss it in more detail here:

There are threads tracking the boats as well, it was quite good when I ordered to track the boat it was being delivered on!

Did VW do something to reconfigure their innovative CO2 heat pump - they had had to pay compensation to german owners because the heat pump did not deliver the range improvements VW promised,
and if you didn't need the marginal range improvement it gave, it was cheaper to use the additional £700,option price, to pay for a lot more Kwh's of electrcity, to make up for it's absence.
I had a letter through offering £260 back for our ID.3's heatpump.. the only issue, our ID.3 didn't have the heatpump! No idea how they messed that up, but yes, they reduced the cost of the option to £1000 from £1260 due to it not quite delivering as expected.

It's still better though, although like any heatpump that costs £1000-£1500, that's a lot of electricity as opportunity cost, however, even if 10% extra range only, that may be quite convenient if doing longer trips

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently have the e-niro 4 which is fine car, but my lease is up in Jan 2025 with lengthy delivery times need to look at the replacement, one I have on my list is the Skoda Enyaq, does anyone drive on here and thoughts on it?

I know the standard answer is get a Tesla but have a big dog and while he would fit in the Y its a bit of a drop so I am told from the lip and not sure he would like that.

Funny thing, our spaniel isn't the tallest dog, so went around checking load lip heights from the floor to see if he could jump in.. the Enyaq was 56.5cm, the Model Y 59.5cm, so only 3cm difference.. Although, I don't recall the extra trim levels of both, just whatever was in the showroom.. but can't imagine things are that different on all trims. The Model Y is more akin to the Enyaq Coupe, so slightly sloped rear, vs the more boxier shape of the regular Enyaq.

I drove the Enyaq Sportline Plus and Model Y long range when test driving, both around £50k (We would need more options on the Sportline Plus to get the Pan Roof/Cameras/Heat Pump etc)..

The Enyaq is nice, I prefer it over the ID.4, lack of standard kit aside, it drives fairly as you'd expect, gets along, nice enough ride, quiet enough, nothing objectionable.. lovely interior materials do it for me, the main niggle being it's a little too unexciting, the MEB platform infotainments are not the best, but very functional, if it was £10k cheaper, I'd think it stood out as compelling, but the sportline plus we liked was very expensive for what it offers.

The Model Y is quite different, far more performance, more sportier setup, minimalist and open cabin with everything being standard, and the only real options other than wheels you can always buy later at any time since they are software unlocks. The supercharger network and overall efficiency of the Model Y is a step up IME, mid winter I consistently outperform our smaller ID.3 on trips, and still get 4.2+ mi/kwh on mixed journeys, where as the ID.3 is at 3.7 mi/kwh for the exact same journey, which I've done back to back a few times.

The other aspect is the Model Y has 'dog mode'.. something I've yet to use because I've never had that option, but you can leave the dog in the car, with air-con on and a nice message on the screen to ensure people don't think you've selfishly left your dog in the car whilst you nip in to a service station or cafe etc..

Personally I'd just go and test drive both, I did and got over my view of Elon being an egotistical narcissist (which he is) because despite rejecting Tesla's for 3 years now, I finally caved in and am really enjoying the Model Y..

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I'd just go and test drive both, I did and got over my view of Elon being an egotistical narcissist (which he is) because despite rejecting Tesla's for 3 years now, I finally caved in and am really enjoying the Model Y..
if i avoided companies who had objectional people near the top of them i dont think i would have many buying options to be honest.

i guess my local shops would do ok out of me ;)

Soldato
if i avoided companies who had objectional people near the top of them i dont think i would have many buying options to be honest.

i guess my local shops would do ok out of me ;)
It wasn't so much just his personality alone, but 2.5 years ago when getting our first BEV, VW/BMW/Hyundai/Kia all looked like they were really offering compelling rivals and there was a feeling that the main manufacturers would quickly overhaul Tesla primarily due to Elon's particular leadership style where he tends to want to rip things up and do everything his way, and that the big boys would be able to get ahead. That and brands like MG really starting to show how cheap EVs could be and I didn't fancy the risk of a Tesla at the time.

Associate
Think we will go electric next year when the current 3 year lease ends.
Price will be a big factor tho.

It will help our new home will come with electric charging point and solar panels.

Associate
Thanks, the only weird thing is were not sure if the Solar Panels will be to help with our heating or towards the electricity - homes not built until end of next year and got different information from our Solicitor and Builder lol.

Either way every little helps but would be nice if it could be converted into charging / use for electriicty as imagine this would be the biggest cost but It didnt sound likely.

Soldato
Thanks, the only weird thing is were not sure if the Solar Panels will be to help with our heating or towards the electricity - homes not built until end of next year and got different information from our Solicitor and Builder lol.

Either way every little helps but would be nice if it could be converted into charging / use for electriicty as imagine this would be the biggest cost but It didnt sound likely.
Put your anorak on and go into the solar thread in Home & Garden. Probably go to batteries for electric and if batteries are full it'll go to immersion heater/water tank.

Soldato
The Enyaq is nice, I prefer it over the ID.4, lack of standard kit aside, it drives fairly as you'd expect, gets along, nice enough ride, quiet enough, nothing objectionable.. lovely interior materials do it for me, the main niggle being it's a little too unexciting, the MEB platform infotainments are not the best, but very functional, if it was £10k cheaper, I'd think it stood out as compelling, but the sportline plus we liked was very expensive for what it offers.

The Model Y is quite different, far more performance, more sportier setup, minimalist and open cabin with everything being standard, and the only real options other than wheels you can always buy later at any time since they are software unlocks. The supercharger network and overall efficiency of the Model Y is a step up IME, mid winter I consistently outperform our smaller ID.3 on trips, and still get 4.2+ mi/kwh on mixed journeys, where as the ID.3 is at 3.7 mi/kwh for the exact same journey, which I've done back to back a few times.
The reason I chose the Model 3 (Y wasn't out in the UK yet) over an ID.4 was down to lack of standard kit on the ID.4. To get the same level of kit on the ID.4 was going to cost around £10k more and thats without the performance that the Model 3 LR has.

Soldato

do they even do those solar systems which just heat water any more? I thought they went out 20 years ago.

FWIW (and i echo dlockers there is a great solar thread in home and garden) with my pretty modest 5kwh solar system and 7.4kwh battery (6kwh usable) combined with Intelligent octopus I only pay £71 a month for electricity and gas combined.

Even charging 2 EVs (combined about 15000 miles a year) over the course of the year that £71 should be enough to charge both cars, cover gas central heating (we will replace with heatpump when the boiler hits end of life) and import what electricity we need.

obviously its winter now, so we are using a lot more than £71 a month (December combined bill was £150) but we had built up a nice £700 buffer from spring through to autumn so that should see us through the dunkelflaute of mid November through to mid February.

(its not really a dunkelflaute but its just too cool a word not to use :D )

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for advice, will check the threads out. Seems like a nice saving to look forward to in future. I know we definitely dont have a heat pump but heard mixed reviews on them.

Just in the process on changing our old manual gas and electric meters to smart ones. (Selling home soon so not sure if its better or worse)
If its not broke, why fix it?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I drove the Enyaq Sportline Plus and Model Y long range when test driving, both around £50k (We would need more options on the Sportline Plus to get the Pan Roof/Cameras/Heat Pump etc)..

Like for like the MY is a superior EV, I prefer the Enyaq more conventional interior and looks, but if you are paying the same for both cars then go for the MY, the super charger network and HMI will make life easier in the main.

I have to agree tho VAG are taking the **** on options, anoyying packs etc. Im looking at the 85X Sportline plus and im looking atputting on 6k's worth of options. Thank fully the Enyaq is stupidly cheap on my comp car scheme and the Tesla stupidly expensive :p

Soldato
Thanks for advice, will check the threads out. Seems like a nice saving to look forward to in future. I know we definitely dont have a heat pump but heard mixed reviews on them.

Just in the process on changing our old manual gas and electric meters to smart ones. (Selling home soon so not sure if its better or worse)
If its not broke, why fix it?
did you say your home isnt built yet.................. but they are NOT putting in a heatpump? FFS that is terrible (not blaming you, but your builder needs a kick in the nads!)

ANY new build with the proper insualtion will be a perfect fit for a heatpump and it is outrageous that new builds are going in with gas nowadays. if it were me i would be on to them asking / demanding a heatpump instead of gas.......
poorly fitted heatpumps in poorly insulated houses can end up being expensive, but in a new build? its as much a no brainer as solar panels imo.

Back
Top Bottom