When do I approach my health needs...

Associate
Hi all,

Not posted in a while. I've started looking for jobs again. However due to health reasons (posted in the crohns and colitis thread a while ago) I require a height adjustable desk. I cannot sit all day. Or half a day even.

Anyway when looking for a new job at what stage do I mention this? Interview ? With HR once started?

I'm not sure, I don't want my health stopping me changing job. It's already put me off for a year. I know now my situation will not get better, so will likely always need a desk like this from now on.

Thanks all,

Manbatius AL

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need to make them aware of this before you start. From a legal perspective I mean.

We generally ask people if they have "any other requirements" when we ask for their salary expectations following an interview. Such a request would fall into that answer, similarly needing time off for child care, school runs and other medical conditions etc.

Permabanned
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need to make them aware of this before you start. From a legal perspective I mean.

We generally ask people if they have "any other requirements" when we ask for their salary expectations following an interview. Such a request would fall into that answer, similarly needing time off for child care, school runs and other medical conditions etc.
you shouldn't be taking into account any of these things.

From a legal perspective they have to make reasonable adjustments, which I'm sure would cover a desk.

Caporegime
Surely it would fall under reasonable adjustments?

An employer who wouldn't see a height adjustable desk as a reasonable adjustment wouldn't be one I would want to work for.

Soldato
I would say go into the interview armed with what the desk (and anything else needed) would cost. It takes speculation out so that the "reasonable adjustments" can easily be translated to cash. Anywhere too tightwad to not make the investment is going to be a **** place to work anyway.

Caporegime
Some (good) employers will ask about these needs separately, like in a big organisation you might have some HR form that records things like disability, ethnicity etc.. but is used by HR for monitoring and isn't part of the hiring process - importantly it isn't something that the hiring manager themselves gets to see before making decisions on who to bring into interview or indeed make a job offer to. In plenty of places things that give away age, ethnicity, gender might be redacted from CVs by HR too. Of course once you get to the interview stage then some things aren't blinded but no need to necessarily declare a disability or special requirement during the interview, that is where you want the focus on what you can do, your suitability for the job etc.. and not really the place to bring up problems/obstacles etc..

Indeed it isn't something that necessarily needs to be declared prior to receiving an offer, especially if you think it could prejudice your chances of receiving an offer. You obviously need to tell them before you start if you expect them to have that sort of thing ready for you on your first day.

I'd guess you don't necessarily need a height adjustable desk per say, if they have high desks/chairs then that could serve the same purpose of being able to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the work day.

That seems like the worst possible time to ask about it tbh... it is something that absolutely shouldn't be factored into the decision re: whether to hire someone or what to pay them so even if not dong that simply asking at the point where you're about to make a decision on hiring and/or indeed what to pay could come across as incredibly dubious.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, plenty of thoughts.

My initial thought was post interview, but thought this would be odd and I have enough going on in that situation.

I’ve seen some things asking for adjustments for interview, that I don’t need I can manage that time sitting (with painkillers and knowing i will be able to stand after). I guess it would come in the HR health form after interview offer. Each time I have done this I have put my other health issues, migraines etc.

I suspect some of the answers are a bit different as some small employers may work this different to others! (Not saying one is better I’ve seen both sides be good and bad with this)

It’s just making me nervous applying for things.

Back
Top Bottom