When do you first remember using a mobile phone or computer?

Man of Honour
Can remember when the local dealers had pagers! They only people who got mobiles were drug dealers, the first time one of our friends got a mobile we all took the p.... Out of him for ages, because he thought he looked like a drug dealer!

Funny old days hey, most primary school kids I see wakling home have mobiles now days.

I still find it odd to see and hear someone walking down the street talking to someone who isn't there. When I grew up, only very mentally ill people did that. Nowadays it'll be Bluetooth and a phone rather than mental illness, but it still initially strikes me as odd.

Soldato
I still find it odd to see and hear someone walking down the street talking to someone who isn't there. When I grew up, only very mentally ill people did that. Nowadays it'll be Bluetooth and a phone rather than mental illness, but it still initially strikes me as odd.

This guy sums it up.

Soldato
My first home computer was a ZX81., cant remember anything before that.

I cant remember what exactly happened to the ZX81 but I remember it was broken, I seem to remember that the jack for the tape recorder to go into got snapped off somehow, probably from moving it from room to room.

My first mobile phone was some really bad Sagem thing, I think it was something like an 85 or an 805, something like that anyway.

Soldato
First computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k, 1981/2. Many happy memories of playing Manic Miner :). First mobile phone was around 1998, I was late to the party with mobiles.

First computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k, 1981/2. Many happy memories of playing Manic Miner :). First mobile phone was around 1998, I was late to the party with mobiles.

ZX Spectrum wasn't released until 1982. It said it right at the bottom, ever time you turned it on. (C) 1982 Sinclair Research inc.

Associate
First time using a PC was probably in school on an old BBC machine (new back then) in the last 80's, the first one that I had at home was the Amiga 500 in the early 90's which later got replaced by a basic Packard Bell or Hewlett Packard (can't remember the exact name) somewhere in the mid 90's.

Can't remember for the life of me when I got my first mobile phone, I was in my early 20's but my memory is failing me on when and what phone it was, I know my second mobile phone was a Motorola Razr.

Associate
Some of the responses in this thread make me feel pretty old lol

I first used a computer in school, it was a BBC B
The first computer I owned was a ZX spectrum with the rubber keys and a tape drive.
Sometime after that I had an Amstrad CPC 6128 with a full colour screen lol
I used to love trying out the BASIC games programs from the computer magazines on that

I can't remember the year, maybe 97/98.. But my first mobile phone, i think was a crappy Motorola brick thing on One2One with a pull out aerial that made no difference whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom