When in Rome, how does one budget?

Soldato
As above, sort of.

We're going to be staying right next to the Cipro metro and are staying there for a week around June 13th.

Wondering if there is some tips, do's, don't's etc? Any way to save money on travel? Best places to go for food that's not super expensive & some sights to go and see apart from the obvious ones!

muchas gracias in advance.

Soldato
Yeah, and when walking about don't be tempted to get your food from the places that are easy to find. Have a dive into the backstreets and find the places locals use rather then the tourist traps with over-inflated prices. It's been an absolute age since I last vised Rome, so any place I can recommend will be well out of date now.

Soldato
Like most cities, eat where there appear to be no tourists (avoid places advertising a tourist menu) and walk.

Man of Honour
We stayed right next to Cipro last year and had a blast!

Coming from London the one thing you realise about Rome is that it's very small and extremely walkable. We went for just over a week and used the Metro only twice. From where you're staying you can set up a decent route to cover Vatican City/St. Peters Square, cross the river and head down the backstreets towards the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and then down to the Colosseum. There's tonnes of restaurants, piazzas (squares), and sights to see along the way so you can make a real day of it.

Prices are okay, Tripadvisor/yelp help out a great deal and you can find some pretty good restaurants that are pretty cheap. Cantina e Cucina being one of our favourites while out there, great food, good prices, and the customer service was second to none. After our meal they gave us tonnes of freebies too including shots and desserts.

We didn't have any issues with safety at all, and we were out at all hours. The only thing to look out for is all the people trying to sell you cheap tourist crap or roses. They're annoyingly persistent and get right up in your face but you learn how to deal with them pretty quickly.

It's an easy city to get to grips with, just walk around and you'll eventually get the hang of it. Staying in Cipro was great too cause if you ever get lost just ask for directions to Vatican City and you should be able to find your way from there. The only thing I wish i knew before I went is that some taps have no obvious way to make them run, for some reason most of them have a foot pedal or button on the floor. Oh and zebra crossings are completely backwards, you basically just go and the cars stop for you. If they spot you're foreign or you look tentative they'll just accelerate and ignore you in most cases.

Soldato
I've been to Rome three times, you're in for a wonderful treat.

A few key choices from me:

Roscioli for lunch (amazing Rome style pizza)
Ad Hoc for an all out dinner (their wine list is two books...)

Other than that you'll struggle to eat badly in Rome, also recommend la buca di ripetta on the same street as As Hoc, and is less pricy.

If you're around the pantheon, give pizzarium a go as it has good heritage. Also ice cream there go for venchi.

Soldato
Just be careful in checking the price of some things BEFORE you order - there have been numerous reports doing the rounds over the last few years where half a dozen coffee's and a few ice creams came to €150+ - when we went to Rome around 5 years ago we went in a coffee shop along the side of the road where you queue to get in to the Vatican and the coffee's were around €20 each!!!!!

Soldato
You won’t eat badly in Rome, you’ll just pay more if you head to the touristy places. Trastevere is a really nice part to walk around and has a lot of cool little restaurants and bars. You can walk around easily - the only thing about going in June is that it’ll be really hot so you might want to take the bus back from town to your hotel. Public transport is cheap and taxis are ok too. The metro is a pickpocket hotspot apparently, although I never had any trouble.

You’re in for a real treat, Rome is an amazing city!

Man of Honour
How hot can it get in June? Apparently it's between 17 and 28 which seems really good compared to what seemed like hell last year in Madrid when it was hitting 49 degrees C !!

Went around June/July last year and it was consistently 33-38C, glorious clear blue skies all the time. They have public fountains everywhere so you dont have to carry around water too.

Soldato
How hot can it get in June? Apparently it's between 17 and 28 which seems really good compared to what seemed like hell last year in Madrid when it was hitting 49 degrees C !!
The average high is 29 degrees which is imo too hot for the amount of walking you'll be doing. Much better to visit in April-May or October.

Back
Top Bottom