When money exceeds talent

Soldato
OP
I know this roundabout very well, the right turn lane has very deep troughs cut by the number of vehicles going that way, if you try to take the racing line the car gets thrown all over the place even at quite legal speeds, experienced drivers take the outside (correct straight ahead) lane which is like a billiard table. I suspect he was going too fast on the "racing" line and it bit him in the butt.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
I think the brakes should always win. For the engine to win would imply that the car can accelerate more quickly than it can decelerate, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a car that can do that.

EVENTUALLY they will win, but will you survive the slowing process with 562bhp fighting you when it happens at your usual braking point? This guy wasn't on a straight airfield/road he was braking into a roundabout, it wasn't a hypothetical "can the brakes eventually win" it was can they stop you BEFORE you crash, and in this scenario, they wouldn't (and may not have actually according to the driver). The point was shown in the video I linked that it did slow you, but not effectively and there are far better ways to stop the car quickly.

Soldato
OP
This story in the OP is about a 458, the very definition of big performance brakes.

In a normal car you'd have even more chance of stopping, the brakes are considerably more powerful than the engine. How easily can a 150bhp car get to 70mph? How quickly can the same car stop from 70? Both the links I posted have examples of normal cars stopping at full throttle.

Ugh you still ignore the fact that this all went pear shaped when the guy had to brake for a roundabout and there is no way the brakes would stop him in the distance he had, this is not just testing on an airfield/long straight road like that article, it is real world. Yes they would EVENTUALLY win assuming they don't overheat first, but the crash is inevitable in a real world scenario unless you pull both paddles and put it in neutral.

I am assuming all those tests were also conducted at speed in a high gear, in this case he had 562bhp pushing in probably second gear which gives the engine a much greater mechanical advantage over those tests you quoted!

Soldato
OP
The thing is that brakes only work while they have the capacity to convert kinetic energy into heat, once they reach their capacity of heat generation they simply don't work. The engine alone is gonna generate 419Kw and another 126Kw in Kinetic energy at 50mph assuming around 3 seconds to stop without the engine?

Back
Top Bottom