• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Soldato
This is why I don't bother any more and have a 'Geforce Now Ultimate' sub, still rocking my Vega64 :)

I can now game on my iPad/Phone/PC/TV etc, for the 'casual' gaming I do it's more than enough!
You can do the same with moonlight clients and sunshine host without having to pay a monthly fee. Superior streaming quality as well.

Last edited:
Associate
GeForce now is too laggy for me

What's your latency like?

also are you on the ultimate tier or lower,

I tried it again a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time in months,

and it was a noticeable visual drop off from playing locally.

Don't think I could make the permanent switch myself yet, but it's fine if I have no alternative.

Soldato
What's your latency like?

also are you on the ultimate tier or lower,

I tried it again a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time in months,

and it was a noticeable visual drop off from playing locally.

Don't think I could make the permanent switch myself yet, but it's fine if I have no alternative.
I'm streaming from my PC at 1440p 120fps HDR to both TVs upstairs and also my foldable phone and the quality is great at 150mbps HEVC.

Essentially I have a powerful rig on the move and bedrooms with all my games and progress synced. One of the many reasons I could never move away from PC gaming.

I've never tried GeForce experience but I'm fiercely against subscriptions unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm streaming from my PC at 1440p 120fps HDR to both TVs upstairs and also my foldable phone and the quality is great at 150mbps HEVC.

Essentially I have a powerful rig on the move and bedrooms with all my games and progress synced. One of the many reasons I could never move away from PC gaming.
What's the visual compression like, or you can't notice a loss on performance? will have to consider doing something like this for the laptop.

Soldato
What's the visual compression like, or you can't notice a loss on performance? will have to consider doing something like this for the laptop.
I'm quite picky when it comes to quality and I can tell you it is more than adequate. The viewing distance is also greater compared to sitting close to a monitor which helps a lot, the only artifact I notice is a bit of colour banding in some challenging scenes. The experience is definitely better than gaming on a PS5. I would never stream games to my desk setup but I'm amazed how well it works. Latency was bad when I tried to use Moonlight on some crappy firesticks but I had a couple of cheap Intel NUCs lying around and the latency with those is virtually non-existent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I'd say adequate for most is 1440p @100fps+ with reasonable settings. A 4070S, for example, can do that for one third of the price of a 4090. That was the - correct - point he was making. I agree with him fully.
I understand that (although Steam says 1080p is by far the most used) and somewhat agree. But again, you pay less, get less. There's no magic in it, it's the same it always was as someone would consider best bang for the buck.

The only "magic" was back on the day when a r290/x was about equal to a Titan for roughly half the price. That was truly magic :)

Caporegime
I understand that (although Steam says 1080p is by far the most used) and somewhat agree. But again, you pay less, get less. There's no magic in it, it's the same it always was as someone would consider best bang for the buck.

The only "magic" was back on the day when a r290/x was about equal to a Titan for roughly half the price. That was truly magic :)

290x was a good card, but that god awful stock cooler. :eek: Its basically a blessing those blower fans have been consigned to history more or less.

Soldato
290x was a good card, but that god awful stock cooler. :eek: Its basically a blessing those blower fans have been consigned to history more or less.
Yeah, but custom ones were good. I had the sapphire trixx r290.

Problem was AMD got cheap with the first impression - loud and thortled back. They didn't know how to sell. And it kinda did it again with the cooler - aka the hotspot issue with the 7900 series.

Soldato
Ugh, I sold my 1080Ti back when prices spiked to crazy levels as needs must back then, been hobbling on with a 280x since then that couldn't really do anything modern except Halo MCC and stuff like that.

Thought I'd scored a FTW3 1080Ti on ebay for 140 quid (I think people are crazy asking 200+ for such an old card now). The seller said they'd accept the offer when they got home, but lo and behold it gets sniped right before they do for full price.

Sigh.

Associate
Yeah, but custom ones were good. I had the sapphire trixx r290.

Problem was AMD got cheap with the first impression - loud and thortled back. They didn't know how to sell. And it kinda did it again with the cooler - aka the hotspot issue with the 7900 series.
Custom ones were good as long as they weren't the MSI Twin Frozr..

Soldato
Ugh, I sold my 1080Ti back when prices spiked to crazy levels as needs must back then, been hobbling on with a 280x since then that couldn't really do anything modern except Halo MCC and stuff like that.

Thought I'd scored a FTW3 1080Ti on ebay for 140 quid (I think people are crazy asking 200+ for such an old card now). The seller said they'd accept the offer when they got home, but lo and behold it gets sniped right before they do for full price.

Sigh.

Reminds me of the members market. Someone lists something for a decent price, someone posts offering £1 less or something because they just have to get a deal, then another member just offers the fair asking price in the first place and the other loses out.

Edit: Just to clarify, not saying that's what happened in your case, just reminded me of the MM.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reminds me of the members market. Someone lists something for a decent price, someone posts offering £1 less or something because they just have to get a deal, then another member just offers the fair asking price in the first place and the other loses out.

Edit: Just to clarify, not saying that's what happened in your case, just reminded me of the MM.

That's why you just inflate the asking price so both people go away happy.

But on eBay they just have starting auctions at that stupid price of buy it nows without offers allowed.

Either way, absolutely gutted.

Back
Top Bottom