When Things Go Wrong - Advice Please

Soldato
I'll start things off by declaring, I didn't buy any of these faulty parts from OCUK... but maybe people wouldn't mind offering me any advice?

Problem 1

I have an i7 and an ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO S/L. I sat the i7 in place, closed the clam down and it didn't sound all that right. I opened, reseated the i7 and carried on.

When everything was in place, I turned on and the light by the CPU came on, showing an issue with the CPU.

On inspection, I think one half of the pins on the mobo are squashed down flat. I assume they should all be pointing up. Can the pins have been squashed by me placing the clamp down improperly? In most CPU's I've fitted, the pins have been on the CPU and they slot into the motherboard, so I'm not very familiar with pins on the mobo... and no where for them to slot into. How is this supposed to work?

The only other thing that could be an issue here, there is an 8 pin power input on the mobo above the CPU, but I have just a 4 pin from my PSU. From what I can see in the manual, this is okay. Could this be why the red light is on, and in fact the mobo is fine, I just need a new PSU? (One is in the post)

Problem 2

With the machine not working, I set about putting all my old parts back into the case. On turning on, I don't remember if there was a noise, but then I definitely smelt something burning. The Crucial M4 SSD smelt of solder, so I'm guessing that blew.

When I plug back in my old HDD's, none of them are recorgnised by the old mobo, so I think something on that blew with the SSD.

So, all in all, a pretty terrible afternoon.

I've contacted Fonseca, who I bought the SSD from (through Amazon) as I'm fairly sure that is toast.

The mobo is from Amazon themselves. I'm thinking to wait to test it with the newer PSU, unless someone confirms this will make no difference.

Obviously, right now I'm wishing I'd just bought a pre-built from someone, but having built quite a few of my own PC's in the past, I didn't think I would have this much trouble.

Any comments, suggestions, help from anyone?

Soldato
Sounds like you didnt seat the CPU correctly causing the bent pin. Also your PSU will need the extra connector to power your rig :)

Edit - I thought i read that you have bent 1 pin, ignore my first comment

Last edited:
Caporegime
The pins dont point straight up like normal, they are at an angle.

Look like this,

cpusocket.jpg

The only other thing that could be an issue here, there is an 8 pin power input on the mobo above the CPU, but I have just a 4 pin from my PSU. From what I can see in the manual, this is okay. Could this be why the red light is on, and in fact the mobo is fine, I just need a new PSU? (One is in the post)

You must have the 24pin ATX and either a 4pin or 8pin ATX in for it to power up.

You can use a 4pin in a 8pin socket.

What is the full specs?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Stulid, that's a great pic, and shows what I'm looking at. I think what has happened though, looking now, in me trying to figure what's going on I have bent a pin or two out of place. The new case, with 700W PSU arrive today, so I tested the mobo again, still lights up on the CPU LED. :(

I got the mobo from Amazon and have already filled out the returns form, in which I just asked for a refund. Anyone have any experience here? Should I expect a full refund?

I'm looking on Tottenham Court road, YoYoTech.co.uk have the same mobo, but £30 more than Amazon.

I'm sure if I put on the return I want a replacement, I'll be waiting a couple of weeks. Should I just order a new one from them, next day delivery?

Back
Top Bottom