When to make the move to 4K

Associate
So with all the new OLED monitors coming out this year I think I'll upgrade my current 1440P IPS

I've held off because I really wanted OLED 4K but I still don't think with have the GPU power. I don't want to play at 60FPS 4K so currently playing at 1440 with 150FPS plus on the 4080FE

Has anyone else moved from 1440 to 4K with either a 4080,4090 and felt the loss in FPS out ways the increase in res ?

I also don't fancy a monitor much bigger than 27" so don't think a 4K 27" is worth it

Caporegime
To give you an idea you can expect almost roughly half the fps when moving from 1440p to 4k, it's a *very* harsh resolution to run. A 4080 should be generally ok imo if you're willing to tweak some game settings and don't mind using DLSS :)

It's worth the image quality gain you'll get imo :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'm going to stick with 1440p but move to OLED, for me when it comes to PC gaming, I always find myself on 27" monitors (maybe 32" at a push) and at that size I find 1440p to be perfect for picture quality and maintaining stable / high FPS, although I'm debating giving ultrawide a bash next and may wait until mid-February for the ASUS Rog Swift OLED PG34WCDM, if not that then I'll go for the LG 27" OLED UltraGear 27GR950E-B which seems to be coming down in price, either way my 7900XTX should make 1440p/high FPS a breeze on these.

Soldato
I’d stick to 1440p at 27”

34” ultrawide (3440x1440) is possibly worth a look, it’ll be roughly the same height as your 27 but it’ll add a bit more screen estate to the sides. Granted 21:9 isn’t for everyone

Soldato
The Alienware 360Hz OLED will pee over that from a great height for not much more ££ imo. It's not a great model and has its issues.
What issues are those? Other than is being a matt screen which is subjective its got pretty favourable reviews. Text clarity seems to be a bit subjective also, some say QD-OLED is better other say WOLED, a user on here has the LG and the AW DWF and says the LG is better for text. Better blacks in a brighter enviroment compared to QD-OLED also. The new AW screens are likely to be better but then the LG is also likely to get a price reduction

Associate
What issues are those? Other than is being a matt screen which is subjective its got pretty favourable reviews. Text clarity seems to be a bit subjective also, some say QD-OLED is better other say WOLED, a user on here has the LG and the AW DWF and says the LG is better for text. Better blacks in a brighter enviroment compared to QD-OLED also. The new AW screens are likely to be better but then the LG is also likely to get a price reduction
Same here, I've a friend who actually sold his AW and replaced it with the LG, granted he, like myself, only uses it for gaming and the odd bit of YouTube watching, but even he has said that given its recent price reduction the LG would be a no brainer.

Associate
Personally Id want an absolute minimum screen size of 32 inch to run 4k at least as a general entertainment/gaming system. I tend to run games at 2500x1400 even on my 40 inch as quality difference is marginal. I think that Anti Aliasing has gotten a lot better in recent years to the point where medium res + excellent AA is a better quality and performance trade-off than high res + middling AA.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 2080Ti at the moment, not playing a huge amount of first-person shooters and adventure/action games look decent to me at 80+ frame rates. Want RT but DLSS helps the frame rates.

For this reason I'm mulling the 4k jump as well, played a bit on my TV recently and it is nice to see the extra detail. But currently using a 1440p 27inch monitor at the desk so not felt like I was particularly missing out.

OLED still looks perhaps a bit out of my price range. Would welcome any suggestions, I think the next thing I really want above what I have is HDR.

Caporegime
Expect roughly half/60% of the fps at 4k you currently get with 1440p (at the same settings), it's a very harsh resolution to run.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've held off because I really wanted OLED 4K but I still don't think with have the GPU power. I don't want to play at 60FPS 4K so currently playing at 1440 with 150FPS plus on the 4080FE

I've been playing at 4k since the 780 ti - about 10 years. 4k on a 27" IPS screen is awesome. Remember that you do not need to play at the highest visual quality settings (RT aside). The high pixel density means that you don't need so much post-processing like AA.

Associate
I've been playing at 4k since the 780 ti - about 10 years. 4k on a 27" IPS screen is awesome. Remember that you do not need to play at the highest visual quality settings (RT aside). The high pixel density means that you don't need so much post-processing like AA.
The thing is AA is not as taxing as it once was(MSAA days) but with 4k on 27 you can probably use DLSS performance so it kind of even out. Still, I prefer 3440x1440 instead of 4k for now.

Associate
Went from UWQHD to 4k. Initially had a 3070, this struggled with anything 4k. Moved up to a 4070ti, and with DLSS and settings around high get decent frame rates, around 100's. Obviously depends on the games played.

For productivity the 4k wins for me no question. For gaming I'm based to wards the 4k panel as its 144Hz and VRR, whereas the UWQHD is quite old and only supports 60Hz.

IMHO 4080/4090 should be fine for most games at 4k, provided you are happy with 100-120fps, and are not 'needing' much higher frames.

Back
Top Bottom