When to paint \ treat garden wood?

Soldato
Back in July we had part of our garden lawn raised and had sleeps as the boarder, I was told not to treat it for at least 6 weeks to allow it to dry out?! (Already was pre-treated). However now it’s looking a little faded and want to make sure I’m taking the best care of it, when is the best time to treat it? After a few days of no rain? Or have I missed the boat now with mornings and evenings being damp due to time of year?

Any recommendations for product also?

Thanks!

Caporegime
Back in July we had part of our garden lawn raised and had sleeps as the boarder, I was told not to treat it for at least 6 weeks to allow it to dry out?! (Already was pre-treated). However now it’s looking a little faded and want to make sure I’m taking the best care of it, when is the best time to treat it? After a few days of no rain? Or have I missed the boat now with mornings and evenings being damp due to time of year?

Any recommendations for product also?

Thanks!

I would have treated it straight away tbh. This time of year it will be 100 times worse than had you just treated it straight away

Caporegime
Presumably you’re talking about pressure treated timber? In that case yes, it needs to dry out before being painted so the moisture (from the preservative) isn’t sealed in. If you’re just sticking a load more preservative on it then it’s less of an issue as the moisture can still escape.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, so am I just best to get it sealed/painted ASAP?

I thought the same Sonny but I’m an amateur when comes to anything like that so just assumed was correct! :/

yeah you want it to dry out, wood contains a lot of water, a decent hot summer draws that out and creates more space for treatment to soak in

Ideally this time of year mid/late afternoon is the time to go for.
You really want 24-48 hours after any rain for surface water to be dried out. If the timber is touching the ground its always going to have little dampness to it.

Soldato
OP
yeah you want it to dry out, wood contains a lot of water, a decent hot summer draws that out and creates more space for treatment to soak in

Ideally this time of year mid/late afternoon is the time to go for.
You really want 24-48 hours after any rain for surface water to be dried out. If the timber is touching the ground its always going to have little dampness to it.

Perfect! Thank you.

Caporegime
would be soaking wet up here. in Scotland we get 300 days a year of rain.

i would have painted it in july. any later and it would have been impossible to do. been raining constantly for like a month now.

Back
Top Bottom