When to replace an old but working PSU?

Associate
Hi,

I've been thinking lately about just how many upgrades I have made to my PC since I built a complete new one in 2012. Infact the only parts I am still using from that original build are an old Crucial M4 SSD for some storage and the PSU.

The PSU in question is a Corsair AX650 Gold, and was quite expensive back then and very well regarded. It has performed flawlessly for near 7 years and seems quite happy still today. It is 7 years old however and funnily enough the warrenty is about to expire (7 years was a lot back then!) so shall I think about replacing it, even though it still works? I'd rather not have to spend £100+ replacing something that works fine but I know it won't last forever.

Could I get a year or two more from it maybe?

Cheers!

Don
Depends what specification PC you are powering with it?

E.g. If you are nearer the top end of the power supply output (650W) then I'd be replacing it sooner than if you are running a lower spec machine that is drawing 300W.

7 Years is a decent amount of life from a PSU, but as always things don't last forever.

I would be surprised if you couldn't get another couple of years out of it, and certainly preferable if money is tight, to carry on with what you have, rather than compromise and buy a cheap replacement.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. It has always been used to power a juicy card. Currently a Vega 56, but before that a Fury and before that a 7970. Though cpu wise at the moment just a low draw i5 9400f. I think I will start to budget for a new one, and one of similar quality yes, I would never skimp on a PSU. I see some come with 10 year warrenties these days, which is incredible really.

Associate
the vega 56 can pull 200w when gaming and if we say the the cpu, ram and SSD pull 150w (when stressed and not idle) then that makes 350W which is way below your 650w. They are slightly more efficient at 50% load and I like to have some headroom but your setup sounds fine. Even if your psu is not working as well as new you still have some to spare.

Associate
One thing to consider is that you will likely get some money back on the psu if you sell it on ebay. I managed to sell my old Corsair CX600 for about half of what I paid for it and it was 6 years old!

Associate
I think if everything works fine, you can easily expect another couple of years. PSU caps usually start wearig out after 10 years so you can continue to use them without any issues.
In one case though i.e. if you are reaching the power limit on any component, then best to change it as that will be stressing out the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom