When will we get 720p security cameras?

Caporegime
Wouldn't really take that much grunt you can get dedicated chips that can encode on the fly.

Maybe to handle one or two cameras but what about 32 on the fly? Add in the storage and you'll be looking at quite an expensive system.

Not saying it;s not do-able, just too much money yet.

Caporegime
Why the need for 3 months storage? Surely if you've been robbed it isn't going to take 3 months to find out?

Storage should not be a huge concern, at a constant quality factor of 28, one hour of mpeg4-avc footage at 3fps is approx 70mb.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Microsoft do HD Lifecams now, we bought some at work and they're very smooth and very high quality at 720p and offer autofocus, stereo mics and so on. They only cost £40 too.

Cheapness isn't a problem and the qualityis also very high but storage is the real problem for 24/7 recording.

Soldato
You wont see them for a while as they aren't really needed to be honest. The cameras on the market right now offer fantastic picture quality. The reasons a lot of people can't use the footage on thier £100 B&Q camera is down to the fact that they are pant's and they don't store enough footage. Even then the High-end Pelco's that we fit are already 720p anyway.

The reason you see a lot of gritty footage is down to the fact that people seem to have this need for a 30 day image retention which is completley useless because it degrades the footage so much. Why would you need an event from 30 days ago? You are most likely to know within 10 days if something has happened on the system and by that point any competent person would have already take a download.

Soldato
Why the need for 3 months storage? Surely if you've been robbed it isn't going to take 3 months to find out?

Storage should not be a huge concern, at a constant quality factor of 28, one hour of mpeg4-avc footage at 3fps is approx 70mb.

We have to have 6 months for insurance purposes (this is in a warehouse) - e.g. to ensure something was loaded on to truck, etc.

Associate
15fps would suffice. Also due to little movement for most of it a relatively low vbr could be used. Space isn't really an issue either as a few 2TB HDDs would be ok. The only issue is getting the system together with enough encoders that could handle everything.

Caporegime
Data storage is often a limiting factor. Cameras recording 24 hours a day at 720p will produce a lot of video!

There is a fairly simple and rather obvious solution to this - at least for domestic use anyway - just set the cameras to record when they detect motion.

You'll mostly get a few short clips of foxes going across the back garden or you pulling into the drive each night and that's about it... then when mr burglar does break in you won't have to go through hours of footage either...

obv public cctv on a busy street or on retail premises during the day won't be implementing this but are also likely going to be manned

Soldato
I installed and setup MUCHOS expensive CCTV cameras that recorded in 'HD' resolutions of 720 and 1080.

Some of the most expensive on the market for the application £500+ a pop without options...good write ups etc.

Verdict? **** poor. The sensors are crap as must be the lenses. I get better quality out of my £150 prosumer camera with it's 720p recording. I understand size is a limiting factor but when recording at full whack resolution on full quality...full everything I could not help but think a 2010 mobile phone could do better. This was in near as damnit PERFECT lighting conditions, lower it down and the results get worse.

The CCTV camera market as a whole needs to catch up.

Soldato
I installed and setup MUCHOS expensive CCTV cameras that recorded in 'HD' resolutions of 720 and 1080.

Some of the most expensive on the market for the application £500+ a pop without options...good write ups etc.

Verdict? **** poor. The sensors are crap as must be the lenses. I get better quality out of my £150 prosumer camera with it's 720p recording. I understand size is a limiting factor but when recording at full whack resolution on full quality...full everything I could not help but think a 2010 mobile phone could do better. This was in near as damnit PERFECT lighting conditions, lower it down and the results get worse.

The CCTV camera market as a whole needs to catch up.

It doesn't really. Pelco make the best products on the market and I wouldn't be surprised if you got fobbed off with rubbish or overcharged for what you actually got.

Caporegime
We don't need hd cams, we just need the hollywood tech that can take incredibly grainy images and then zoom in 500x and have it sharpen to a hd image. :p

Soldato
Data storage is often a limiting factor. Cameras recording 24 hours a day at 720p will produce a lot of video!

You are talking about 3GB per hour of 720p footage stored with H264
This means that a modern 2TB hard drive can store ~620 hours of video, or ~25 days worth

And I'm talking about proper video FPS here, not crappy security camera FPS.

25 days retention should be more than enough for security needs, one would expect for any issue to be identified within that period

Last edited:
Soldato
25 days retention should be more than enough for security needs, one would expect for any issue to be identified within that period

Nickname said his company requires 6 months for insurance purposes, that's 12Tb per camera. Quite a lot really.

Soldato
Nickname said his company requires 6 months for insurance purposes, that's 12Tb per camera. Quite a lot really.

That is an arbitrary requirement placed by insurance company, rather than something that has any basis in anything.

The only reason you would need more than 25 days is if the effects of the intrusion may not be felt for a while ...

Caporegime
As evidenced in this thread some people use low frame rates because higher rates aren't necessarily needed in such an application.

Even at 24fps your not looking at much more because it is a very low motion video stream.

i could run past a 3fps camera and doubt it could catch me clearly or at all. the bare minimum should be 12fps for a decent security camera. thats why most criminals never get caught, the picture is so blurry, grainy or slow to even see what the person looks like. watching some of the videos on crimewatch and you laughed at the quality. there are obviously circumstances where decent pictures are achieved though.

Back
Top Bottom