When will we see Kimi back?

Soldato
Was watching some footage of Kimi in the maclaren the other day and it striked me at how talented he is.

Can you see him back in F1 anytime soon or as he completely lost the desire and hunger to race in F1? Would be good to see another wold champion on the grid but i just dont see how he is going to get a drive anywhere competitive?

Do people want him back? : ICE CREAM PLZZ :D

Soldato
I liked Kimi, he certainly had a different attitude to most of the other drivers and was often a refreshing change.

I'd like to see him back in F1 but I don' think he will come back. Even if he did want to come back I imagine he'd only do it with the expectation of a fat pay check and a top team and I don't see that happening.

Caporegime
far to laid back.
never seemed like he wanted to be on the grid.
didnt make any effort at all.

i dont understand why people liked him or called him the iceman he came across as a boring person with no personality at all much like mika hakkinen.

although i liked mika he was a good rival for schumacher and a really honest chap who seemed to have genuine respect for those he raced against

Associate
I liked Kimi, everyone moans at the current drivers for being too corporate in the way they talk. Kimi just got on with it and wasn't interested in the media, but was certainly interested in driving. Even in 2009 I thought he was good, getting the most out of a poor car even knowing his time with Ferrari was coming to an end. He was immensly impressive during his time at McLaren, and the charge towards the end of the 2007 season with Ferrari was superb.

I really don't know what people want, they **** off any driver who has outbursts and speaks their mind (Webber/Rubens), slags off the ones who are very corporate in their speach (Button/Hamilton), and slags off the quiet ones who just get on with it like Kimi. If people want drivers who are good on TV then perhaps McLaren should hire Ant and Dec to keep everyone happy.

smr

smr

Soldato
I have a friend who knows Kimi's parents very well so next time I see her I'll ask about him to find out what he's like off the track etc.

But from what I gathered after watching him on TV during his last year in F1 is that he doesn't make it very easy for people to find him likable. His monotonous nature ( in the way he talks and comes across demeanor wise ) doesn't really deliver itself to that of a Formula 1 personality.

I also got the impression that he didn't want to be there, there are plenty of guys on this forum alone who would LOVE and dream of being able to drive a Formula 1 car for a day, let alone a career, in the most historic team on the grid.

Yet Kimi never looked exactly happy about it, I always got the sense that he just wanted to get the race out of the way and go home and do whatever he does away from the track.

For that reason I can't say I really miss him, and having said that it may not be the way he truly feels, but he sure comes across like that, and then again maybe it's just the way he is... but if that's so then he's waaay too laid back for my liking!

I prefer driver's with a bit of character/ zest/ spirit... all qualities Kimi failed to show.

However, he is undeniably a true talent in a race car.

We have a few World Champions now, Jenson, Sebastian, Lewis, Michael, Alonso and a few other top top drivers on the grid would have very nearly been WC's (Massa) ... we've got lots of talent as it is on the grid.

But then again, throwing Kimi into that mix, well that'd be interesting I guess!

smr

smr

Soldato
far to laid back.
never seemed like he wanted to be on the grid.
didnt make any effort at all.

i dont understand why people liked him or called him the iceman he came across as a boring person with no personality at all much like mika hakkinen.

although i liked mika he was a good rival for schumacher and a really honest chap who seemed to have genuine respect for those he raced against

I thought he was called iceman because he was super cool, never got a bee under his bonnet etc.

As for not trying, I don't think that's fair considering the way he drove to being a World Champion!

His personality just came across as he couldn't be arsed.

Man of Honour
I liked him, he just lost all interest and I can't see him coming back.
The last season was amusing, probably hated it at the time (can't remember) but looking back at it, it was funny.

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato
I thought he was called iceman because he was super cool, never got a bee under his bonnet etc.

As for not trying, I don't think that's fair considering the way he drove to being a World Champion!

His personality just came across as he couldn't be arsed.

I think that's just Finn's for you, Mika Hakkinen was similar. Not saying they are boring people (heard a few stories about Kimi liking a good night out/strip bars), I think it's just how they come across - they don't tend to be excitable, emotional people in front of the camera.

I agree that I didn't seem him as being lazy/uninterested. You don't become a World Champion with an attitude like that.

Soldato
OP
My best mates girlfriend is Finish and yes most of them come across pretty monotone to us. They love Kimi in finland :D OH and also probably the best hemlemt design for ages

Kimi%20Helmet%20collage.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sadly the driver I loved in the early part of his career is long gone. He made too much money and achieved his goal. Part of the lack of desire in F1 after that comes I think from only ever having to do 20 odd races to get to F1.

He didn't have the battle to get there that most do.

He also couldn't set a car up to save his life. He either turned up and the car was fast and he flew or he got lost. When the car was less than stellar in weekends they had to work for it at ferrari he rarely turned the weekend/car around like others can do.

On his day he was untouchable, sad for me that he couldn't maintain the kind of hunger Alonso has.

Mclaren mothered him and he did well, when he had to stand more on his own at ferrari he seemed to struggle more. Zero personality, that worked in the PR grey corporate mclaren. AMD unplugged Mika and plugged in an almost identical new chip.

Almost as big a loss to F1 as JPM.

Caporegime
Montoya is so very suited to nascar, there he can get away with bumping into people and being aggressive as his temper dictates

What because he bumped into a camera man once and lost his rag. Wheel to wheel he was one of the best for years. Hard, usually very fair.

Narrow cars and groove tyres and the PR balls of F1 just wasn't right for him at the time, neither was Ron Dennis games.

Funny to think the red bull offer was on the table before going back to america but they weren't considered a top team at the time. He never got a team to showcase his talents, sadly Williams went with Frentzen.

Back
Top Bottom