Where "celebs" went in 2nd world war?

Soldato
elroberto said:
David Niven was actually one of the original commandos in WWII
Indeed he was. Along with Alec Guinness (Royal Navy), Christopher Lee (SOE?) and Donald Pleasence (RAF).

Donald, I believe, was shot down, captured and tortured.

Don
big_white_dog84 said:
IIRC the entire Hearts team went off to fight in WW2 (might have been WW1).

WWI and not many of them came back either.

Same during WWII, being a professional footballer didn't earn you an easy ride, you would have been conscripted just like everyone else if you hadn't volunteered first.

Jokester

Soldato
John Wayne served as well, didn't he?

Bernd Trautman, legendary City goalie, served in the German army.

And Marilyn Monroe and Marlene Dietrich did some front-line visits...

Soldato
James Stewart

He was the first movie star to enter the service for World War II, joining a year before Pearl Harbor was bombed. He was initially refused entry into the Air Force because he weighed 5 pounds less than the required 148 pounds, but he talked the recruitment officer into ignoring the test. He eventually became a Colonel, and earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre and 7 battle stars. In 1959, he served in the Air Force Reserve, before retiring as a brigadier general.

He flew combat missions over Germany.

SCM

SCM

Associate
A lot of the hollywood and film stars toured in the services entertainment set up to raise the morale of the troops. Glen Miller died when his plane crashed going to an event.

SCM

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Chasser said:
This has some info, check out Audie Murphy........

http://www.palletmastersworkshop.com/flipside.html

Audie Murphy became a movie star becuase of his war record though

Former archbishop Robert Runcie was a tank commander I believe

Richard Todd - fought at pegasus bridge and ended up playing his own commanding officer in the longest day

Prince Philip - long navy record and did his fighting in the far east and the med

George Bush Senior -Dive bomber pilot - was shot down and rescued by US navy submarine

JFk as already stated - MTB skipper

people in those days were willing to do their duty it seems regardless of public standing or fame

and I always wondered why Lee Marvin always looked so comfortable doing war films..now I know...if you have not seen Big Red One..do so..its bloomin great

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
yeah just saw that..RIP

how wierd must it been though to be in a film playing your own CO and revisiting what you actually did in real life 15 or so years previously?!

Man of Honour
The people who were killed did get killed, yes. lol. :rolleyes:

Celebrities in those days were singers, presenters, government and royalty. All 4 kept their jobs, the first two for moral/general entertainment, and the last two for obvious state reasons.

Princess Elizabeth was arguably a celebrity and most definitely royalty, but she joined the military. Subaltern Windsor, driver and mechanic.

Associate
The celebs of those times were not like the celebs of today. We have diluted the title of celeb with the likes of Jade Goody. Id also like to note that WW2 discussion should not be accompanied by lol. Its just wrong.

Infact, ive just had an idea. We should send our rubbish celebs to do battle.

Big Battle Brother.

Battle royale style

Back
Top Bottom