Where do I stand with a laptop being in for repair 8 times?

Soldato
well my trusty acer travelmate is certainly well travelled, back to acer for the 8th time with "the same issues" (all the problems have been related to the wacom tablet in the screen) and this time they're threatening to charge me if they can't find a fault. Having used various tablets over time this one has certainly been the worst I've had to use, unfortunately it's the only one I've owned and has been a right pain in the *** when it comes to drawing on.

The tablet is an Acer C302XMI, which Acer themselves are now saying has defects and can't be repaired. Surely if it can't be repaired it should be replaced, if it is unusable or unfit for purpose I should be allowed a refund or exchange for another tablet PC which works?

I'll get some shots of the problem when my camera arrives in the post, but having being messed around by Acer so much I just want something that works.

(edit: if there's any spelling/grammatical issues please don't jump up and down and get all excited about it. Not in the mood)

Soldato
if it's the same problem that they havn't fixed then i beleve you are entitled to a new one, I think it's a case of it's been returned 3 times, and returned. after the 3rd time if it's not fixed you can get a new one, either the same model or if it's not being produced the next model up, but it must costs the same as the one you have purchased

Soldato
OP
The trouble is this has been going on for 3 years, they keep saying that all units are affected by this issue, as the tablet has always been faulty (4 different errors now) I can't tell what's supposed to work or what's not. As Acer don't manufacture these tablets anymore I really don't know what to do anymore. Their last offering being the C2 series I'm not really too keen on.

If I disable the tablet functions the unit works fine as a laptop. As a tablet it's useless.

Soldato
If it's in warranty and it's not fit for purpose then take it back and tell them there is an inherent fault and get them to replace it.

Put pressure on them, don't let them fob you off!

Caporegime
Get it in writing from Acer that all units are faulty, and return the laptop along with that letter to the reseller for a full refund. The letter is claiming an inherent fault in that model of machine.

I've dealt with shoddy Acer hardware before. Never again.

Soldato
OP
It's taken them 3 years to admit that "all units" are affected by this issue and pushed it out of warrenty. They won't admit that it is a fault so I can't get a refund, they're calling it a "design limitation"

Due to it being faulty before it's only the past year I've had this specific issue, although it's still clouded by a few other niggles. They're threatening to charge me for these repairs, if they do I'll be straight back to the shop with 2 independant reports showing the faults and insist a replacement.

Caporegime
Acer are a crock of **** mate, I'd be inclined to take it to the small claims court if you don't get anywhere with them, you're bound to win.

Soldato
OP
well time to bump the thread, they've found the fault and are repairing it free of charge as a gesture of goodwill.

Now they're screwed, they've admitted fault and I want compensating for having to deal with them for the past 3-4 years, what will be the best way of squeezing something out of them? My laptop is currently sitting waiting for repair as they haven't got the parts.

Associate
they have a "reasonable" amount of time to repair it... usually 28 working days(6 weeks) If it goes over then you're entitled to an exchange for atleast equivilant specification... this far in a refunded usually never happens... as for compensation, they're repairing it out of "goodwill" you say, you'll probably have to put up a decent fight to get anything.

Soldato
OP
Well it's been a month (4th june) since they received it, will give it a few more days. Going to try the supplier again thanks to a bbc article showing they are responsible for selling faulty goods which they tried to deny (have letters for).

In total they have had the laptop in repair for over 120 days, that has been over 150 days (including postage) that I have owned a laptop and have lost productive time due to not being able to use it, almost half a year. Wish I'd never bought the **** thing.

Back
Top Bottom