Where do you buy your bike kit

Soldato
As the title says.

Sorry for the much spam, but since as I'm about 4 - 5 months off getting my licence and new bike I'm going to try and catch a bargain in the mean time.

I'm sure theres website out there which offer great prices.

I'm going to be riding to and from work, I have to wear shirt, tie and trousers so I'm going to need something to put over all of that... But I also want most importantly for safety. Can anybody suggest anything?

Soldato
Waterproof textiles are what you want. The rest of it is down to preference. I know some people use a top box to store the office clothes in and change when at work to save the creases.

Also if it were me I would wait until I was at work to wear the tie.

Associate
I keep changes of clothes at work, as packing things up and fitting it onto the bike (kriega tail pack) is a pita. So on a Monday I'll fill up my US20 with clothes for the week + gym stuff, then bring it all back on Fri.

Associate
Textile stuff, I simply went to local bike shops so I could try the stuff on first. At least around here, the sales people are great. They seem more interested in whats best for you, rather than getting an expensive sale.

Associate
[TFU] Thegoon84;30490442 said:
Cheers.

Problem is there are no changing facilities in work. So my only option is to put my trousers and shirt on. Pop my shoes in my bag and put cloths on over the top.

I just change at my desk. We recently had a new girl start, and she hasn't complained yet... :D

Associate
I compiled a list a little while back of the few shops I have used past and present..

www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

www.infinitymotorcycles.com

www.helmetcity.co.uk

www.bikehps.co.uk

www.intobikes.co.uk

www.thevisorshop.com

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle

www.getgeared.co.uk

www.ghostbikes.com

www.dirtbikeexpress.com

There are plenty more (eBay/rainforest etc) when you dig around.

I've bought most of my stuff from SBS, they've been excellent, only ever fluffed one order and they sorted it out immediately.

Soldato
OP
tom_e;30490480 said:
No toilet at work? That's where I change, no way would I want to be wearing my shirt and trousers under my kit especially in the summer.

Could I not wear my trousers and shirt under my 1 piece leather, then simply take it off and back on again when I go home?

Think I'm going to get a one piece.... Rather than 2 separate things. To look cool on my street bike intend on wearing a hoodie and jeans over the top (when its not boiling hot). haha.

Man of Honour
You can wear your office stuff under your bike gear if you wish and a few here do but like I said personally I wouldn't want to as even the best vented kit is still rather warm once the weather gets good especially if you're not just hooning down open roads.

I also wouldn't recommend a 1 piece if you're looking at leathers, 2 piece is much more versatile and easier to live with day to day.

My commuting kit of choice is kevlar jeans, leather/textile/mesh jacket depending on the weather. I've got full 2 piece leathers if I know I'm just going to be out on the bike for the sake of being out on the bike as they're not the most pleasant things to be walking around in if you're stopping off somewhere.

Basically at some point you'll realise that the amount of bike gear you own will need it's own wardrobe or storage area because there's always something else that'll be better suited and more comfortable for certain conditions that what you currently own, or that's how you'll justify shiny new stuff anyway :D

Soldato
OP
tom_e;30490610 said:
You can wear your office stuff under your bike gear if you wish and a few here do but like I said personally I wouldn't want to as even the best vented kit is still rather warm once the weather gets good especially if you're not just hooning down open roads.

I also wouldn't recommend a 1 piece if you're looking at leathers, 2 piece is much more versatile and easier to live with day to day.

My commuting kit of choice is kevlar jeans, leather/textile/mesh jacket depending on the weather. I've got full 2 piece leathers if I know I'm just going to be out on the bike for the sake of being out on the bike as they're not the most pleasant things to be walking around in if you're stopping off somewhere.

Basically at some point you'll realise that the amount of bike gear you own will need it's own wardrobe or storage area because there's always something else that'll be better suited and more comfortable for certain conditions that what you currently own, or that's how you'll justify shiny new stuff anyway :D

That's great info thanks!!

Soldato
Leathers - there shouldn't be enough room to get anything under them apart from underwear and a t-shirt, maybe some thin baselayers.

Textiles are what you need, in the winter or if it's raining that's what I wear, I can fit jeans and a hooded top under mine. Come the summer, you can wear Kevlar jeans, some just look like regular black trousers so all you then need is a leather or textile jacket on top.

Don't get a 1 piece, get separate jacket and leather trousers which zip together. 1 piece leathers are really for fast road riding and track days.

Soldato
[TFU] Thegoon84;30490447 said:

They're unbeatable. Free returns (doesn't fit? send it back and they pay the return postage) and they will price match all other UK online retailers. Customer service is excellent.

Get textiles. Just make sure the trousers fit over your work trousers comfortably with the thermal liner in.

motocard.com and fc-moto.de are good and most of the time cheaper (e.g. Daytona Road Star boots are £60+ cheaper on fc-moto), but bear in the mind, with clothing that doesn't fit, you'll be sending it back to Germany and paying postage.

Back
Top Bottom