Where do you get your images from?

Associate
Hello.

Im in the middle of making a new blog. I do have photography as a hobby but for the images I require for the blog are a completely different subject. (IT/Computing).

Im aware there are various stock image sites which charge very little for brilliant images.

Can anyone recommend some and I need them to have a license so that I can make money from the blog and use the images on the blog as well.

Thanks.

Associate
I hope you don't use any image you find on Flickr! You need to search in the Creative Commons section, and then check the license (linked towards the bottom-right of photo pages).

If you only need web resolution, istockphoto.com have a decent selection of photos from as little as £1.

Right, really need to check license when using images from Flickr.

Associate
In general just be very careful when you are using images that you are not paying for. Even on Flickr, the user may not be the actual owner of the image.

Associate
Mostly use dreamstime, seem to find the vast majority of our photos for clients there, in the rare chance we don't, iStockPhoto.

(First Post) :D

Associate
You can usually find decent photos at 400-450 pixels wide on the longest side on istockphoto for £1, which is pretty cheap.

As you're a hobbyist photographer I'd advise you to go about taking your own. Another advantage of that is they'll be unique to your website.

Associate
OP
You can usually find decent photos at 400-450 pixels wide on the longest side on istockphoto for £1, which is pretty cheap.

As you're a hobbyist photographer I'd advise you to go about taking your own. Another advantage of that is they'll be unique to your website.

Yeah, its just I need IT based photos.

I am tempted to make my own using photoshop brushes. They seem to be free even with commercial licenses.

Soldato
I've found a good few on Flickr that I've thought 'That would be perfect for this site' and then contacted the owner to ask them if I could use them. You would be surprised how many folk have said 'Yeah, no problem'. Sometimes a small text acknowledgement is all that is required and some people don't even care about that. So despite Flickr being full of stuff that initially looks like its fairly well locked down as far as copyright goes, if you 'ask' you may well 'get'. Worth a shot if you are looking for something fairly unique that someone on there has pics of.

Back
Top Bottom