Where have all the crts gone. TFT options...?

Associate
Oh well time has come my iiyama VMP has gone fizz buzz. Now had a quick butchers on t'internet and no one sells crts :O Dont panic (hes sez) i'll have a look at a TFT. Boy oh boy was i wrong..

I had a read about and looked at whats available - read the spiffin guide at the top about tfts and thought great one of those plz. Think the 3 ms Veiwsonic 19" is th eone fo me.

Just a couple of questions - firstly i read a lot about ghosting and blurring, is this going to be a real big issue for me (i play a lot of FPS games like cs source also spend a lot of time on WorldofWarcraft).

What about dead pixels? Should the unit turn up with no dead pixels - what happens if it does arrive with dead pixels and whats considetred as a fault eg number of dead pixels.

Thanks for reading.

H

Associate
Difficult for me to advise on the best TFT for your use, I'll leave that to others. I have the Viewsonic VP930, had it for 4 months now and thrilled to bits with it but I don't play any fast games, the couple of demo's I've tried and movies I watch are superb.

One thing I will lay your mind at rest on is if you buy over the net or by phone your covered by distance selling regs and if you find a fault you have 7 days starting after the day of delivery to return for an exchange or full refund. Only conditions are that you must open the box very carefully so not to mark and return everything as new even the polythene bags and small plastic cable ties.

Good luck with your choice. :D

Associate
Magic Man said:
The 7 day distance selling regs also state that you should get a full refund, i.e. there is no provision for re-stocking fees...

Although I don't believe that they have to refund your delivery or return carraige. It seems to vary from retailer to retailer.

Associate
Taken from the returns policy of one well known on-line retailer.

Quote: If you have had the item for 7 days (business days) or less you are entitled to cancel your order for any reason and request a replacement or a refund. Please note that this right of cancellation does not apply to audio or video recordings, computer software products that have been unsealed or certain goods made to your specifications. Note that unless the goods are defective, not fit for their intended purpose or have otherwise not been supplied in accordance with the contract, you will have to cover the cost of returning the goods to Think4. See below for more details regarding sending the goods back to us. End Quote.

Hope this is of some help.

Associate
I have the Viewsonic 3ms VX922 like the one you want and I have to say it's superb. I also play a lot of games and and I'm very happy with no ghosting or blurring whatsoever.

Any monitor 16ms or under should not pose a problem with ghosting. You may get a little blur but nothing to worry about.

As for dead pixels I've been lucky as I've ordered 3 LCD's and non of them have had a dead pixel. I think the return of a monitor with dead pixels differs from company to company.

At the end of the day CRT's are dying out to you'll have to go to LCD at some point.

Associate
monaco87 said:
Although I don't believe that they have to refund your delivery or return carraige. It seems to vary from retailer to retailer.

No, carriage is up to you unless the item is faulty, not fit for purpose etc. in which case they should refund the cost of return I believe.

Associate
different manufacturers will view dead pixels differently . Some garuntee no dead pixels others say less than a certain number is acceptable , other say up to 4 in the center area is acceptable and so on .

so as a rule check the manufacturers policy on dead pixels before ordering a particular model.If a particular brand has a policy that 4 dead pixels is acceptable and you find 3 then youll have little recourse .

As for the distance selling regulations , again you need to be very carefull, and i would suggest you contact the retailer for their policy on this as the interpretation of the rules varies considerably between retailers. i.e some say that the goods can be inspected only - you can unpack the item to inspect it but not use it .

with regard to crt vs tft the issue of display quality is narrowing .however as a general rule of thumb CRT still offers superior image quality and clarity over tft . TFt does have a huge advantage of lower power consumption and there a various websites out there that will calculate running costs ( electricity ) for you . I have built a few Systems for people who all wanted TFt s £200 to £400 price range and none of them have matched my CRt for quality and ease of use . the main annoyance with TFTs for me is the viewing angle .

However because CRTs are now unfashionale you can get top quality 22" CRT that cost £600- £700 a few years ago for as little £20 at online auctions providing you are happy to go and collect it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
hudson said:
Just a couple of questions - firstly i read a lot about ghosting and blurring, is this going to be a real big issue for me (i play a lot of FPS games like cs source also spend a lot of time on WorldofWarcraft).

What about dead pixels? Should the unit turn up with no dead pixels - what happens if it does arrive with dead pixels and whats considetred as a fault eg number of dead pixels.

ghosting is just the CRT fanboys rumour mongering. I have a 2 year old 16ms Iiyama panel that suffers from no ghosting whatsoever. I think some of the lower quality 16ms panels on sale today suffer from it, but mine was cutting edge at the time and cost well over £300 for a 17inch. Nowadays 8ms or below will leave you with zero ghosting.

as for dead pixels. Open your monitor carefully, and preserve all packaging, your going to need to be able to send it back exactly as it came. Open as little as possible, and plug the monitor in. If you get any dead pixels, you can return the item under distance selling regulations. This gives you the right to return a product within 28 days of purchase for a full refund merely on the grounds you changed your mind and no longer want it. But the item has to come back perfect so they can re-use the stock.

You can also take it up with the manufacturer and report it as faulty, but this in alltogether more difficult affair as different manufacturers have different standards with regards how many pixels gets counted as faulty. Try and use distance selling regulations if you can.

but lots of people recieve TFT monitors without any whatsoever. mine was one of them :)

Back
Top Bottom