• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where the hell is NAVI???????????

Caporegime
The now 3 times rebranded RX 480 has fallen so far behind its become really rather ridiculous, Vega 56 is also an old high end card repriced to compete with todays mid-range cards, because of HBM 2 at what i think is a loss for AMD...

AMD with Ryzen are doing a sublime job, in terms of competition Ryzen has Intel by the scuff of the neck and is bouncing them off the walls, Ryzen CPU's consistently occupy all top 3 best sellers on 'Rainforest', often even pushing Intel out of the top 5, and there doesn't seem to be anything that Intel can do about it.

But please, for crying out loud where is Navi?????????????

Soldato
Don't care at the moment, Vega 56 for £200 after selling the free games is insane value that I'll be very surprised if Navi even comes close to the performance per £

Soldato
It's hard staying competitive with a company when you have <10% their R&D budget and competing with an even bigger company on another front too.

It's a shame to see really as competition is never a bad thing for the consumer but hopefully that will come back.

Associate
Rumours are that they are just waiting on TSMC to increase capacity for the high performance 7nm node they are using. We just have to be patient on this one, since production is probably tight with Zen2 and Vega20 being mass manufactured currently.

Ramping up will take a couple of months, and then it'll take a few more months until they can get the quantities needed for a release. So we're probably looking at June/July, possibly end of May if we're very lucky.

Soldato
Polaris is still a value champ, Vega as well for now. Considering all the deals available price/perf isn't going to see much movement.

Anyone that's pinning their hopes on Navi for anything other than tdp improvements is going to be disappointed. It's more for the sake of their own margins that Navi is important than for consumer benefits.

Soldato
Polaris is still a value champ, Vega as well for now. Considering all the deals available price/perf isn't going to see much movement.

Anyone that's pinning their hopes on Navi for anything other than tdp improvements is going to be disappointed. It's more for the sake of their own margins that Navi is important than for consumer benefits.

Rx570's and reasonable priced 580's are an ok pricepoint/value but stagnant performance. However the 590 at all values has just been torpedoed by the 1660ti, so it will have to drop real low.

Navi is just going to be a cheaper to manufacture Vega, just as polaris was a cheaper to manufacture Hawaii.

Soldato
I doubt we’ll see AMD return to competing at the ultra high end as in my experience, people just buy nVidia at that kind of price anyway, no matter what AMD do.

I remember back in the 9800 Pro days, most of my friends just went ahead and blindly bought FX5900/5950s without doing research.

I mean why sink the R&D costs when that’s just going to happen anyway?

(Not that it matters to me as I won’t go over about £500 anyhow)

OcUK Staff
Rumours are that they are just waiting on TSMC to increase capacity for the high performance 7nm node they are using. We just have to be patient on this one, since production is probably tight with Zen2 and Vega20 being mass manufactured currently.

Ramping up will take a couple of months, and then it'll take a few more months until they can get the quantities needed for a release. So we're probably looking at June/July, possibly end of May if we're very lucky.

More likely July earliest, September most likely and worse case November as there has been delays pushing it back further.
Plus its doubtful it will be able to offer Vega 56 performance for less than £200.

The main advantage is smaller die, cheaper memory and most importantly much larger profits for AMD which they desperately need to do in order to survive in VGA game, otherwise just be better to pull out and make CPU's where you make plenty of money, using the CPU business to keep VGA business afloat is very bad practice for long term.

I feel Navi will be good, great value and most importantly AMD's profits will further improve. :)

Caporegime
OP
I doubt we’ll see AMD return to competing at the ultra high end as in my experience, people just buy nVidia at that kind of price anyway, no matter what AMD do.

This is true but a lot of people buy their cards in the sub £300 range, when they are competitive like the RX 580 vs GTX 1060 actually was.

Caporegime
OP
This as this week alone we've sold 600+ Vega 56 cards, easily our best selling card right now by miles!

Yeah, its a great card for little money, but i can't see AMD making any money on those now, i suspect they are losing money on everyone they sell and as you yourself said its really not good having the profitable part of the business prop up the failing part.

I would rather AMD stopped making retail cards than run their business like that, we can't have the retail GPU part of the business draining resources away from everything else.

Associate
This as this week alone we've sold 600+ Vega 56 cards, easily our best selling card right now by miles!

I generally won't pay £300+ for a GPU, not these days. However, below £300 you have got my attention, and at £250... that's hard to pass up!

GPU prices really do need a massive shake up though, because frankly some of them are daylight robbery! Mining is done, so supply isn't an issue any more, it's greed.

Back
Top Bottom