Where to buy Distilled water

Associate
Also look for deionised water..

They have it in halfords for car radiators. I got mine from tesco, it's labeled as being for cars and steam irons.

I only used it wash out my rads before using mayhems x1 so can't comment on long term use.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys
I'm going to be changing fittings and was advised to top up the radiator with Distilled water not sure Deionized water is the same?

Soldato
The purity of normal deionised water from home-base or Halfords for car battery's and such WONT be as pure as distilled water but can be used just the same without any ill affects. I would stick to the 5l bottles, since it is enough to rinse out a full system without having much leftover. Unlike distilled water, de-ionized water wont be free of organic materials like algae, so biocide is needed if you use it as coolant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlike distilled water, de-ionized water wont be free of organic materials like algae, so biocide is needed if you use it as coolant.

Sorry but that's wrong, the only difference between DI and distilled is the process used to create them, their both de-mineralized/purified water it's just they have been created via different methods (DI's being easier hence why it has taken over from distilled in supply).

Don
Sorry but that's wrong, the only difference between DI and distilled is the process used to create them, their both de-mineralized/purified water it's just they have been created via different methods (DI's being easier hence why it has taken over from distilled in supply).
Distilled removes bacterial contaminants as well, de-ionised doesn't generally - that's not to say that you can use distilled without biocide, you will end up contaminating the water one way or another.

Soldato
While studying physics at university, we were told multiple times that we couldn't always use deionized water in place of distilled water for the above reasons. The processes are different and while both remove any mineral salts which will prevent the end product conducting, ionized water can still contain organic material.

Though this is from Wiki (first thing that google brought up) this was fairly undisputed when it came to carrying out experiments.

However, deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin

Back
Top Bottom