Where to get a kitchen?

Associate
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could suggest where to get a kitchen from that is one level above the typical howdens/benchmark/ikea etc.

Our kitchen will measure 5mx4m and we don't want the ultra modern gloss type ones, rather more old fashioned.

Also we don't want wooden countertops, there are lots of things like quartz, marble, granite etc that all seem to look the same. Which is the best?

Thanks!

Soldato
quartz (with resin) is more practical than granite and particularly marble, as less likely to stain or be damaged by heat. Marble looks great but will stain/mark more easily.

Man of Honour
I was far from impressed with Howdens. I found it was a case of "this is what you can have, take it or leave it" - little flexibility in sizes etc.

If you can try and find someone who will manufacture the units to your spec rather than trying to fit their standard sizes into your room. That way you don't end up with a compromise design with filler panels here and there. It also means you can do some interesting things that the big names just goldfish at - for example none of my wall cabinets have handles, the door just extends an inch below the bottom of the carcass.

I went with a kitchen from a company called TMS in East Kilbride which was then fitted by a local fitter.

Associate
You don't have to get everything from the same place.
Carcasses and door from one company and fittings, appliances and worktop from elsewhere.

I have a Howdens Kitchen and found dealing with them to be spot on and their range and sizes were fine and suited me perfectly.

Associate
Ive just placed my order for my kitchen from DIY Kitchens , great choice and collection. Only ordered carcases and doors from them upto yet, but they do have worktops available too woo, laminate, quartz and granite.

Associate
Ive just placed my order for my kitchen from DIY Kitchens , great choice and collection. Only ordered carcases and doors from them upto yet, but they do have worktops available too woo, laminate, quartz and granite.

You would probably be better buying your work surface from a local company if going for quartz or granite, they will likely offer better quality and price.

Associate
OP
The reason for wanting to go above howdens et al is that there doesnt seem to be any uniqueness in their kitchens, everyones looks exactly the same.

They also don't seem to have certain highlights, nice mantels etc. As mentioned there also seems to be very little flexibility. The quality itself seems fine.

Associate
Howdens have more than one range and jump in price can be a fair bit between rangesupto the top spec. I have a friend that's a manager of a branch and with him so the discount was far greater than the builders could get as well so try finding someone that works for them and get friends and family discount ( 85% off with free wine fridge :D )

Soldato
The reason for wanting to go above howdens et al is that there doesnt seem to be any uniqueness in their kitchens, everyones looks exactly the same.

They also don't seem to have certain highlights, nice mantels etc. As mentioned there also seems to be very little flexibility. The quality itself seems fine.

I've got my kitchen planned by howdens , just need to buy and install

What sort of uniqueness do you want? I'd think most kitchen companies are similar unless you're going for a very high spec £30k+

I found them quite flexible for a lot of things , have you been in and discussed anything?

Soldato
Howdens are a Kitchen merchant for builders.

I used to use Howdens but have now found a kitchen manufacturer who can supply and fit for waaay less than howdens can supply. Goodbye £10k Howdens account.

I've only ever had 2 -3 units from Howdens that where actually square.

However their cheap 6 panel doors are unbeatable for price

Back
Top Bottom