Where to get hole cut in case for front USB?

Associate
I'm completely ignorant about case modding and metalwork. Am getting a new mobo and would like to be able to use front USB.

I have a GlobalWin 802 case, more than 5 years old (I think they've modernised it a bit since I bought mine). There's nowhere for front USB access, so I wonder if you think someone might cut a hole in it - motor repair shop? Or what type of place would do that for me? It's quite a sturdy case.

If anyone knows this case, could they advise where on the case the hole should be cut?

Sorry if my question isn't well phrased, I just don't know what I'm talking about :(.

clemenzina

Soldato
Wow, old case, 1999 they came in :p

You should put them in the top / roof of the case, easiest place.

Do it yourself, dremel and 30 minutes and jobs a good'un.

Permabanned
2 options:

1. Buy a new case? They are cheap enough. If you are not fussy you can pick one up for around £20 max which will have front USB ports already in situ.

2. Buy a front USB port that fits into either the Cdrom bay or the Floppy bay.

Soldato
Buy yourself a new case tbh. Im not sure if your on a tight budget or not, but as mentioned above, you can get one for £20 or possibly even less. If you do want to go down the case modding route, then do it yourself. Google for case modding/look at the sticky at the top of this forum section, and have some fun. If you were to take it to somewhere to be cut, theyre likely to get it wrong and/or would charge you nearly as much as the cost of a new case.

Soldato
clemenzina said:
I'm completely ignorant about case modding and metalwork. Am getting a new mobo and would like to be able to use front USB.

I have a GlobalWin 802 case, more than 5 years old (I think they've modernised it a bit since I bought mine). There's nowhere for front USB access, so I wonder if you think someone might cut a hole in it - motor repair shop? Or what type of place would do that for me? It's quite a sturdy case.

If anyone knows this case, could they advise where on the case the hole should be cut?

Sorry if my question isn't well phrased, I just don't know what I'm talking about :(.

clemenzina

I still have one of these with my server in. They actually reasonably nice cases. Pass on the USB tho :)

Associate
OP
FYI I'm in south London; I've already looked at your gorgeous modded cases; yes, my case is old but it's better quality than what I could buy now, not forgetting delivery charges; and I'm too feeble to DIMyself.

The drive-bay option is best for me, off I go shopping :D

THANK YOU!

clemenzina

Soldato
Don't buy a new case for £20, it will be a LOT worse than what you have now.

People the 802 was the original uber overclocking case, the one that started the whole mainstream obsession with cases off.

The OcUK Tornado version I think it was, it was the top cooling case available for a short time :p

Arc

Arc

Associate
Yewen said:
Don't buy a new case for £20, it will be a LOT worse than what you have now.

Exactly, a 20 quid case wont compare to an 802. Good sturdy case thats only let down by its looks nowadays.

Soldato
I had one of these back in 1999 :p ...they were damn fine cases in their day, some of the first after-market cases to come in black if I recall correctly. I scraped mine years ago though, and by that I mean I skipped it as I had tried some of my first 'modifications' out on it and I umm err sprayed my white one with matt black paint and drilled a load of holes in the side in the shape of an Hard|OCP's [H] logo ...it looked kinda ...interesting to say the least :o

Before you ask why I didn't just buy a black one in the first place, well as far as I remember you couldn't buy black ones then, at least not from OcUK, and the heavily pre-modified ones like the Tornado weren't available.

Back
Top Bottom