Man of Honour
OP
Looks like BCMT provide ISIS chains, and the reviews don't inspire confidence!

If I buy my own chain and sprockets for them to fit, what should I go for?

Snaggle, how experienced are you? I'm not sure it's worth cutting corners with the chain and sprockets.

Man of Honour
OP
Got it booked for a week Tuesday at BCMT, I'm in Switzerland next week so no rush as I'll be on my Triple out there.

I went for the DID chain and sprocket set as suggested wazza :)

Thanks for the help!

Soldato
the front sprocket is the hardest to get off,ive had one bike place tell me they couldn't remove one,even with an air gun

lol the bike garage is full of ****, yes can be a little tricky but for them to say such a thing is ridiculous.

Also why would they use an air gun a simple impact driver will do the job.

And if all else fails its scaffold pole time :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't like doing sprockets though,just easier to take it in,i don't have any long poles handy either or a chain riveter

for how often you use them its not worth buying the tools

the last place I took it too couldn't get the front sprocket off idk why,he was a one man mechanic place

never had any trouble with bcmt

Soldato
for how often you use them its not worth buying the tools

Which tools? I've changed numerous chains, you don't actually need a riveter or chain breaker as you simply grind the head of the links to remove (angle grinder or dremel, or even hand file) and you can then peen the heads over manually, though you ideally need a helper with this method.

If the front sprocket nut is very tight then having an air impact gun saves having to put excessive force into the rear wheel and cush drive etc. However, that's a tool which is useful for hundreds of other jobs, not specific to chains.

For £45 it's not worth the hassle.

I might say that about spending a fiver or so on something, but you'd have earning quite a lot of money to think £45 is an inconsequential amount of money to waste.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well you then subtract the cost of the tools from that amount, and then add on the risk of me doing it wrong and having to get someone to sort it anyway, without me being able to get the bike to them.

Plus you have the time factor, and my time is far more precious than my cash.

Soldato
It's not about the money for me either...I just like working on bikes. It's therapeutic to make a cup of tea, stick the radio on and disappear into the garage for a few hours :) I think it's part of bike ownership more than a car, as bikes are so easy to work on

Back
Top Bottom