Where to go after a 900 Ninja

SPG

SPG

Soldato
So been blapping around on a 98 C1 ZXR900 Ninja for a few years to get the old no claims back up and after something similar yet more mordern, leaning a little more towards sports and trackdays type of thing and ideally a 2-3 years old

Went to take the new ZX 10 out thinking it would be ninja size and OMGF its the same size as the 600 and i felt a little to cramped on it at 5-10" and a few extra pounds (i blame comfy living and mrs that cooks to well)

So its either BMW S1000 or a KTM RC8r any other ideas ?

Soldato
The usual GSXR, Fireblade, R1, RSV (read they feel quite big) or a Ducati of some sorts.

I say try the RSV V4 :D

The RSV4 is absolutely miniscule, it's one of the reasons my uncle sold his. The older RSV1000/Mille is a very decent sized bike for the amply proportioned gentleman however. The RC8 is also a reasonable size, and is supposed to be one of the most comfortable sports bikes around.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
A chap who i ride with has a old RSV, nice machine but again the new ones the manufacturer has gone with the basic ergonomic that the human sportbike rider is the size of hobbit and 28 years old with some flexibility in there back left :)

I dont really want to go down the blade/GSX route dont know why, there fantastic machines and the R1 really is something special. Not so sure about a Duc though, dont really know a lot about them. Apart from the there a little pricey to run but i dare say the RC8 is. Decisions decisions,

Soldato
I had a C2 1999 Ninja.

I sold it a few years ago and went to an Aprilia Falco.

Took a bit of time getting used to it after the glorious Kawasaki engine though.

The Falco is better built, and handles better, but I had more fun on the ZX9R.

Incidentally my rare Oasis Green Falco is for sale on ebay at the moment. ;)

Soldato
You know what? You're going to really struggle to replace the ZX9R. I had one and it really is the perfect sports bike for the road. I had several replacements:

ZX12R - great engine, good handling but not as good as the nine. Terrible tank range and economy
GSXR750K5 - amazing handling, good engine, lacked the grunt of the 9 and heavy on the wrists
GSXR1000 (2011) - amazing engine and handling.Comfier than the 750 but not as comfy as the 9. Actually too good for the road - doesnt excite like the 9 does at sub license losing speeds.
Honda Blackbird - comfy, fast but handles well for a big bike....but the 9 woudl run rings round it.

I dont think any manufacturer makes a bike like the 9 anymore. A modern version without the carb icing and weak gearbox would be the perfect road sports bike.

...in the end I ended up with a 1200GS which I love in completely different ways!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
You know what? You're going to really struggle to replace the ZX9R. I had one and it really is the perfect sports bike for the road. I had several replacements:

ZX12R - great engine, good handling but not as good as the nine. Terrible tank range and economy
GSXR750K5 - amazing handling, good engine, lacked the grunt of the 9 and heavy on the wrists
GSXR1000 (2011) - amazing engine and handling.Comfier than the 750 but not as comfy as the 9. Actually too good for the road - doesnt excite like the 9 does at sub license losing speeds.
Honda Blackbird - comfy, fast but handles well for a big bike....but the 9 woudl run rings round it.

I dont think any manufacturer makes a bike like the 9 anymore. A modern version without the carb icing and weak gearbox would be the perfect road sports bike.

...in the end I ended up with a 1200GS which I love in completely different ways!

Think you might be on the ball there. Makes you wonder what the main manufactures are doing lately. Could be the UK is nothing to them anymore :(

Soldato
I'm sure it's a fine machine, but it's not a proper sports bike like the ZX9R. It's really like a naked bike with a comfy upright riding position, high bars etc. but with some plastic bits added.

Yeah, it's a sports tourer with a slant towards tourer really. Plus it has budget suspension and the usual cost cutting that you get with Japanese naked bikes.

The zx9r was always a proper sportsbike, just a bit bigger and more practical than its competition. Slower on a track but better on the road

Back
Top Bottom