Where to keep a bike?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I've had my bike licence for a year and sadly I've still not bought myself a bike. The main issue is that I've no where to keep it. I live in a block of flats and have a single allocated car parking space where I have to park my car and there is no other space to keep a bike. Any suggestions?? Where do you all keep your bikes?

Bat

Bat

Associate
You've not got much choice unless you can rent a garage nearby. Out on the street or in your parking space ideally chained to something solid with a big fat chain.

I think if I were in your position I'd be looking at an undesirable bike and something to anchor it to.

Soldato
Depends where you live, some people just keep their bikes outside and their bikes are fine and never get stolen but preferably you want to chain it (using some good chain to something unmovable).

I keep my bike in a garage but if someone wanted to steal it that would be probably no issue for them at all.

Look around and see if there are any bikes left outside, perhaps even call local police and ask if they know about the crime rate in the area you live.

Soldato
OP
parking space I think would be too tight but I'll check. There also isn't anything solid to chain the bike to near my parking space. There is a few things around the car park but no where I think that a bike would be able to sit :(

Bat

Bat

Associate
Is just a chain around it much of a decoy? Could just lift it into a van with a couple of guys?

It'll deter opportunists, but if someone wants the bike enough they'll get it.

I would ensure my bike was pretty undesirable if it had to live outside.

Soldato
A lot of people keep their bikes under a cover when left on the residential roads/parking spaces over night. Some bikes I see in London are covered for months sometimes and never get stolen.

GiT

GiT

Associate
I slot my bike in my single space next to my car. Always cover it up. It is alarmed, but my last bike wasnt and just stuck some big locks on it. I have got a disc lock, and I think you can get them cheaply and alarmed now. A decent cover helps as its out of sight.

Associate
Could you put a Ground Anchor in your parking space? That would help.
Also, the oxford cover i got last week has holes lined with nylon tape so one of my locks goes through the cover and through the front wheel, I then have a kryptonite lock on that back wheel as well. I live near Lewisham btw, ok its a quiet street but still, the GSXR lives outside on the road a lot, has a datatool rather loud alarm/immobiliser which would wake me up, ok itl drain the battery but id hear it.

GiT

GiT

Associate
How do you manage to fit a bike and car into a single space? Mine is too small :(

Ahh, my space is quite wide so I have enough room fortunately. At a squeeze I could just park my bike across the front of my car also which is another option? Depends how long your car is I guess. I have seen some people find a space near a lamp post next to a curb and chain theirs to that!

Associate
Im moving in 2 weeks and my bike will have to be parked outside infront of the house, i have a decent cover, just bought a xena alarmed disc lock from amazon for £30 for the front wheel and ive picked up cheap on ebay an abus wall anchor and abus chain which will be used on the rear!

Back
Top Bottom