Where to start? (First 3D printer)

Soldato
I’m thinking of getting a 3D printer in the coming weeks I’ve always liked the idea of having one but never got around to getting one.

I’ve got abit of surplus cash left after booking a few holidays so thought spend the rest on a printer as abit of a hobby.

What would be the best printer to go for currently with a budget of around £200? I don’t mind buying second hand if needs be, I’ve Watched a few videos and read up on bits and bobs and I won’t need anything that does amazing detail like mini figures or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated regarding printer/software

Soldato
I picked up an ender 5 pro from box for about £250, it's a solid base if you're thinking up tinkering later on.
printers fall into two categories, Resin and Filament
I started with Resin and would recommend Filament for your first unless you're ONLY printing models.

Filament has two main types, bed slingers like the Ender 3, Prusa etc and "Frame" types like the ender 5, bamboo etc.
Frames are more rigid and can also be "core x/y" setup but that's a bit beyond your scope currently. they will also cost more for the same print volume.

I'd pick up something like an ender 3, maybe upgrade the board to a "silent" stepper. see if you can get one with auto bed leveling / BL/CR Touch so you can automate that.

str

str

Soldato
I picked up an ender 5 pro from box for about £250, it's a solid base if you're thinking up tinkering later on.
printers fall into two categories, Resin and Filament
I started with Resin and would recommend Filament for your first unless you're ONLY printing models.

Filament has two main types, bed slingers like the Ender 3, Prusa etc and "Frame" types like the ender 5, bamboo etc.
Frames are more rigid and can also be "core x/y" setup but that's a bit beyond your scope currently. they will also cost more for the same print volume.

I'd pick up something like an ender 3, maybe upgrade the board to a "silent" stepper. see if you can get one with auto bed leveling / BL/CR Touch so you can automate that.

I'm also at the point I want to purchase a 3D printer and everything else required to get into serious hobby 3D printing.

I will print mods for my Phanteks Shift 2 case which gets toasty due to quiet fans and and in the future I will design and print my own ITX case.

I learn best from doing than reading/watching but I've tried to absorb what I can from all the great resources I've found so far. It appears ASA is the filament I want due to the high temperatures I allow my PC to run at and because of the ASA fumes I'll need an enclosure and a printer with higher end heat requirements.

I've been saving since it became evident I'm probably going to need to spend £500+ to get it all up and running and even £2000+ if I wanted to go core x/y with an enclosure.

I think I will go with an Ender 5 Pro too.

Any advice on a solid setup, like options or worthwhile upgrades, for ASA printing would be very much appreciated.

str

str

Soldato
Water temp needs to be <60c and chipset/vrms probably 75c/100c with GPU and CPU close to throttling temps.

Soldato
OP
I have an Ender 3v2 with plenty of mods/upgrades including BLTouch up for sale in the MM currently if anyone is interested: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ny-upgrades-and-ikea-lack-enclosure.18971775/

Happy to answer any questions you might have about it if interested :)
Thanks for the heads up on that didn’t think to check the MM i would have taken that off your hands but now it looks like I’m looking to find somewhere to live first :rolleyes: if it is still available in a week or so I’ll get back to you on it.

Back
Top Bottom