• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 2080?

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my 1070 FE to a 2080 and wanted to know if there was any real world benefit in going for a more expensive 2080, over say the palit below?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04j-pl.html

My current card is obviously a blower design so LOUD NOISES and 80+c.

Even this dual fan design should offer a quieter time, even if it too operates in the 80+ region?

Triple card designs seem to be £100 more and I just can't see the justification in paying 15% more for a slightly cooler time and a warranty period that will likely outlast my need for the card.

Am I missing something that justifies the price difference of 15%?

Associate
I don't think anything justifies the present pricing, so if you absolutely must have a 2080, then find the cheapest one you can. Just be prepared for the possibility of having to RMA, as the 2080 series has some... issues.

Soldato
There are tangible differences. Primarily 400 and 400A chips, the latter being prebinned and authorised for Factory Overclocking.

That being said its a silicone lottery and the non binned chips may clock just as well.

I'd suggest you set a budget and research your options. I'd personally value the cooling solution and warranty / UK support.

Associate
OP
The main reason for needing the upgrade is that I changed from a 24" 144hz TN panel to a lovely 35" 1440p ultrawide 120hz VA panel last August. Primarily because I was sick of a looking at a monitor that had garbage colours/blacks, despite being competitive... However the 1070 struggles at 1440P UW so games look equally as ugly in the low settings.

When I bought the screen I mentally prepared to spend £700 this spring for a new GPU - with the expectation that would get me the best TI card at that time... HA!

Non-binned chips aren't a problem for me as a £50+ premium for potentially a few more frames is just bad value for money.

Given the 2080 issues maybe warranty is more of a concern that I thought before... How is MSI's warranty support compared to Palit? Might be worth the extra £20 and getting the MSI 2080 Ventus which has 3 years warranty, rather than 2?

Soldato
Gigabyte offering 4 years warranty but the thermal solutions on some of them are questionable.

Zotac is frequently recommended, especially from a warranty POV.

Soldato
Am I missing something that justifies the price difference of 15%?

Some have "A" chip others do not eve at +15% price tag. You need to look at the card tech spec sheet.
Imho the best is to keep what you have and change the cooler. And if you have the budget, have you considered the EK MLC?
Is an investment you will have for years

Associate
OP
Everyone hates a thread without a result - so here you go!

I noticed this on the store earlier and bit the bullet and purchased it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/80366

Seems to tick all the boxes:

Price isn't too premium
Solid brand
Decent warranty
Thicker cooler than the other cheaper models (ideal for BitFenix Prodigy M case only just fits the dual fan coolers in terms of length)

Thanks for everyone's' input!

Back
Top Bottom