Which 30"

Associate
and by the way, it might sound silly, but you really won't be needing central heating in your room with one of these running. (if your room isn't that big). that can actually save you quite a bit of cash!

Soldato
and by the way, it might sound silly, but you really won't be needing central heating in your room with one of these running. (if your room isn't that big). that can actually save you quite a bit of cash!

Heh...

I have two GTX480s in my machine. So, the "space heater effect" from a <150W screen will be nothing compared to my 600W+ GPUs :p

But neither will save you money... Heating by gas is clearly a lot more cost effective than heating by electricity! All they are doing is bumping up my electricity bill significantly, for a very small reduction in my gas bill :(

Soldato
Ah... I see we have the same thing in two threads. Okay, I'll keep my comments here instead, as I guess this thread is more suited to the discussion of the new Dell u3011 :)

From reading the CNET review, it seems that:

- The itself panel is the same as the zr30w
- It costs around $400 more than the zr30w at US RRP
- It has a higher input lag than the zr30w (27ms vs 11ms), which doesn't reduce in game mode. Still better than the u2711 but not as good as the u2410 in game mode.
- It has a proper OSD, unlike the zr30w
- It (claims to) come with some factory calibration (although the review found relatively poor calibration in this case).
- The Dell has more inputs at the back; specifically HDMI

Other than that, the difference seems to be the pixel guarantee: Dell have a "premium pixel guarantee" of only one bright subpixel, while HP do not. Whether this, the OSD, HDMI ports, and the "improved" out-of-box calibration is worth the extra $400 and ~15-20ms lag over the zr30w is going to be the real decision.

Personally I think I will probably go for the zr30w, if for no other reason than I play a lot of FPS games and I'm quite sensitive to input lag. The Dell pixel guarantee is quite tempting though. Quite why HP don't put the zr30w into their premium pixel program I don't know...

That is a fantastic summary of the review. Is it alright for me to use a modified version of these points on my website to summarise the review?

Soldato
That is a fantastic summary of the review. Is it alright for me to use a modified version of these points on my website to summarise the review?

Of course... :)

edit: Just realised another thing I didn't mention:

The Dell has more advanced scaling (1:1 pixel mapping etc).

I think the real fundamental difference between the two screens is that the zr30w is a PC monitor pure-and-simple, whereas the Dell is a more all-round screen that can be used for TV / DVD watching as well, if wanted. This is reflected in the increased range of inputs, and internal scaling etc. With a PC output these features are somewhat redundant, since it can all be done via software, but for output from other devices they can be quite handy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a response from HP regarding pixel policy and it matches Dell.

I ordered a ZR30W based on this.

Here's the response.

This is the external link which lists HPs pixel policy.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00288895

for reference the ZR30w is covered under the performance monitor section. It is not listed because they haven’t updated the document to represent that monitor series.

Soldato
We can't say on the forums, as they're a competitor. Well kind of... I don't know if they actually sell any of the same items but whatever... I got mine from the same place as The Asgard though.

On a completely unrelated note: Google product search is your friend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom