Which 5M Cable/interface?

Associate
Hi All

this seems like the best place to ask. I'm contemplating a PC upgrade, and once thats done, i may be in the market for a fast monitor.

At the moment, i'm gaming sat in front of a plasma with a mouse and keyboard on a piece of wood. Actually works pretty well, but obviously not ideal.

To move to gaming on the dining room table, i'd need to run a cable, 5 meters, or 4 at a push, from the PC to the table.

The other option is to make the PC more portable during the upgrade. its already as small as i can make it without changing the GPU to a smaller one, and/or the PSU to a SFF.

The cable would be easier.

So my GPU is a GTX1070, and according to the specs from NVIDIA (ASUS dont make any statements about it from what i can see) it has:

DP 1.4*, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI

* DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready.

Monitor is likely to be either 1080p or 1440p @ 144hz

2xHDMI
2xDP
1xDVI

Am i likely to get that over 5 meters? Anyone got any experience with this? is DP or HDMI better for this?

Thanks

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation, I route a cable behind a desk, through a wall to a floating 38" monitor which I'm after a cable for now.

I'm intending on running it at full 144Hz refresh rate at 3840 x 1600, but struggling to find something suitable, one edging my bets on being able to get away with 3-4m, need to measure it with string though.

Associate
OP
Ive made a bit of progress. I found that startech and club3d have displayport cables that are certified by vesa at 4m and maybe 5m in the case of startech.

The reviews seem postive too. They are significantly more expensive. I think i saw the club3d 4m one for 30 quid ish, which isnt a deal breaker if it works reliably.

I didnt get as far as hdmi

DHR

DHR

Soldato
The days of "it's digital" with hdmi has long gone for me now. Having done god knows how many cinema hookups at home in the last couple of years I've reached the point where it's not worth messing around with cables especially when routing them, keep to specs and most definitely get certified where possible.

The mono UK cables are great for hdmi, some certified premium.

It's just the display port thats are a pain!

Associate
I would recommend "KabelDirekt – 8K DisplayPort cable version 1.4 – 5m" from amazon.
They have both normal and Vesa certified versions which as far as I know are the same, just 1st one is cheaper without Vesa royalties.

I am using the 3m normal version and it's the best DP cable I had so far.
Just make sure the connector can fit as it's a bit more bulky than usual (on my AW3821DW monitor it was a very tight fit).

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

Who certifies the hdmi cables? Vesa? Or someone else? Self certification maybe?

Ill check out KabelDirekt, ive have something from them before.

Cheers

Associate
Depend on what HDMI version cable you want, you can get real 2.1 48gbps (Ultra high speed certified) HDMI cables, but usually in 1-3m length.
KableDirect has up to 3m available on Amazon, they should have 4m as well according to the picture but don't know where to find it.
For older 2.0 18gbit HDMI you can try KableDirect 4m or 5m non-certified cable it should work fine, I would trust it more than random Chinese brands.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Thanks guys.

Who certifies the hdmi cables? Vesa? Or someone else? Self certification maybe?

Ill check out KabelDirekt, ive have something from them before.

Cheers

For HDMI there are authorised test centers but it's a program run by the HDMI licensing organisation (hdmi.org)

Back
Top Bottom