Which bike for touring south america on a tight budget

Soldato
Planning a few tours at the moment, and have just sold my Falco.

Got around £2,000 to spend on my next bike that needs to get me around Europe occasionally 2-up, and then around south america/north america for three months.

Good MPG is crucial. Fuel injection is preferred (Carbs are a pain)

Looked at a few DL650 vstroms but they are over the budget.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
For £2000 you probably need to look at some of the older machines e.g.

Yamaha TDM850. Make sure it's been looked after though, neglecting these leads to big end bearings knocking.

Honda NX650 Dominator

Honda Transalp

Yamaha 750 Tenere

Honda XVR 750 Africa Twin

Suzuki XF650 "Freewind" (who gave it that name? :D )

Aprilia Pegaso (early model)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can do it for around £600ish it all depends on where you get shipped to. I'd be looking at getting it sent to Suriname or French Guiana, as shipping to Agentina, can be problematic, and I've never heard of anyone shipping to Brazil.

It's certainly not that easy to legally buy and register a bike over there. It has been done, more in the likes of Chile, and Bolivia, but is far from straight forward.

I've been looking at the Pegaso (I prefer the newer model though), I've seen a few Versys go for just over £2,000. Still holding out for a Wee Strom at the moment, as they are tried and tested, and much lighter than the Transalp or AT.

Tea Drinker
Don
BMW F650 Funduro as above, easy to work on pretty bullet proof cheap parts, bought mine for £900 rode it for a year, had a few things done and sold it for £1650, really comfortable and just keeps banging on, the single over square piston is a monster.

34072_438072016873_7720376_n.jpg

That was mine next to my Varadero 125

Soldato
OP
They share the same engine as the old Pegaso (cube and IE). It's pretty well known for munching it's own water pump, and the head gasket failing. Looks are very dated.

It's on my list as more of a last resort. there's loads around, so their pretty easy to get hold of.

Back
Top Bottom