• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card to upgrade too - Do I stick with Nvidia...

Associate
I currently have a 1080, which has been a great little card and lasted way longer than I anticipated, but it does struggle with the newer game on high graphics at 1080p. I'd like to also upgrade my monitor which I'm still looking into at the moment, to something 4k, so the old 1080 will not be capable at all.

I've been an Nvidia guy for around 20+ years, so I generally lean towards them, especially as back in the day Radeon were a little crap when ever I used them. Since AMD took over, they seem to have changed things around a lot, so I'm open to looking into these, as well as them being a lot cheaper it seems than Nvidia. But I wouldn't even know where to start, other than a like for like comparison of the 4080 Vs 7900xtx, which seems to get destroyed by the 4080???

Budget is enough to get a 4080, but if I don't have to spend that sort of cash, then preferably, I don't want too! I know the "ti" is imminent, but will that even effect prices these days? Im happy to go second hand too, but when I had a brief look, second hand 4080s were barely much cheaper than new, so I'd rather the warranty!

Ideally, I'd like something that will last a long time like the old 1080, if that's at all possible these days!

Soldato
If you are planning on your GPU to last a while, the 24Gb 79XTX is faster in raster and more future proof with vram.

16Gb 4080 is faster in RT, but less future proof with vram.

4080 has superior upscaling in DLSS2, much more mature Frame Gen(fake frames) in DLSS3.

79XTX is cheaper and generally a smaller footprint to fit in cases, the 4080's are exceptionally wide too.

4080 uses less power and generates less heat.

Man of Honour
other than a like for like comparison of the 4080 Vs 7900xtx, which seems to get destroyed by the 4080???
Destroyed? Eh? Are you only looking at heavy ray tracing benchmarks? The 7900 XTX can compete with the 4090 in some games, so destroyed? No. In certain workstation apps/tasks, then sure, the 4080 is much faster.

I know the "ti" is imminent, but will that even effect prices these days?
I think you mean the super? Probably not, but who knows.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I would look at other resolutions other than 4k as it still punishing in some games. Ultra wide like 3840x 1600 looks amazing and uses 2 million less pixels so is easier to drive.
I'm happy to consider that, but I also use my PC for working from home permanently, so weird resolutions can be an issue.

Caporegime
Do the same as me, wait until the end of Jan and make a better decision then! Hopeful those supers coming in towards that date or Feb will bring the 4070/4080's down in price.
I'm going to either upgrade to a 4080 or 4070 TI Super, as my 3070 ti is lacking in games like Alan Wake RT/The Witcher 3 RT and Ratchet and Clank Raytracing :D

Associate
OP
Do the same as me, wait until the end of Jan and make a better decision then! Hopeful those supers coming in towards that date or Feb will bring the 4070/4080's down in price.
I'm going to either upgrade to a 4080 or 4070 TI Super, as my 3070 ti is lacking in games like Alan Wake RT/The Witcher 3 RT and Ratchet and Clank Raytracing :D
I'll probably do the same, and wait. I'm not in any particular rush! Just wanted to make sure I know what the best gang for buck would be!

Associate
OP
I love the fact the people think the Super cards is going to be a gift from the Nvidia God's.

Pricing will still be above the ti and lower than next level model.

Nvidia don't do value .
I'm under no illusion Nvidia are just openly going in dry these days. Which is why I want to know if it's worth actually getting that back passage punishment, or making the switch to AMD

Caporegime
I love the fact the people think the Super cards is going to be a gift from the Nvidia God's.

Pricing will still be above the ti and lower than next level model.

Nvidia don't do value .

That's not what I said

The 4080 pricing will come down, but I'm under no illusion it will be a lot either!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm under no illusion Nvidia are just openly going in dry these days. Which is why I want to know if it's worth actually getting that back passage punishment, or making the switch to AMD
The 7900xtx slightly outperforms the 4080at a much cheaper price point the only real deal breaker is the ray tracing performance where Nvidia excels.

So the question is Ray tracing a deal breaker for you ?

Back
Top Bottom